Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

1770 and Broadwater Haven Questions

Created by Jonesey32 > 9 months ago, 11 Dec 2018
Jonesey32
QLD, 64 posts
11 Dec 2018 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking at spending a couple of days up at 1770 just before Christmas, and I am keen to get as much out of it as possible.

I was looking at this site (www.kitesurf1770.com/ ), for some of the day trips etc. they do (or used to) - but it looks like that site hasn't been updated for a few years and the phone numbers on there don't work.

I was really keen on a trip to Broadwater Haven ( www.broadwaterhaven.com.au/ ) but the accomodation is a bit too much to justify for just myself.

So, a couple of questions:

- Is there anyone in 1770 that still do the types of day trips (particularly to Broadwater haven)?
- Does anyone know if Broadwater haven still allow 'day-passes' if I wanted to go there just for a day (I'll have a 4WD)?

I have been kiting for 18 years, so I'm fine to just wing it and do everything by myself. It's just usually more fun to go with a group and get the local knowledge on conditions/locations etc.

Cheers
Chris

UTB
26 posts
11 Dec 2018 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

I've been up at 1770 for the last few Xmas's and will be there again this year. The guy who was teaching / running trips there (Andy) is still about but the time I last spoke to him (Xmas last year) he hadn't renewed his insurance so wasn't doing lessons (running it as a business) anymore. Top bloke if you run into him - super helpful. I emailed the guys on the website and they put me in touch with him.

Hardcarve1
QLD, 547 posts
11 Dec 2018 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Another top spot is Middle Creek north of 1770.

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
11 Dec 2018 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hardcarve1 said..

Have u tried Bustard Head?

Going up to Tannum and working my way back,,,so gonna poke around as many spots as i can find....

Jonesey32
QLD, 64 posts
13 Dec 2018 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the info guys. I'm working my way from Brisbane up to Tannum, so I've got a few good sites I want to check out on the way up.

Depending on the wind direction, I'm keen to checkout at least:
- Broadwater
- Middle Creek
- Baffle Creek
- 1770 sandbar
- Wreck rock

It looks like a few of those places have 4WD beach access. Does anyone know if you need permits, or where I can find out about what is allowed?

I'll be in 1770 from the 22nd to 24th, so if any of those options are looking good, I'll have a few spare seats if anyone is keen to check some of those places out.

Select to expand quote
Gilly3 said..

Hardcarve1 said..

Have u tried Bustard Head?

Going up to Tannum and working my way back,,,so gonna poke around as many spots as i can find....

UTB
26 posts
13 Dec 2018 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Being a beginner I've only kited on the sand bar but I've been to the NP's quite a bit fishing etc. As of our last visit - no permits needed to drive in Deepwater or Eurimbula.

parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/pdf/deepwater-eurimbula-map.pdf

Its about 45mins - 1hr from 1770 to Middle Creek. When we went for a look at Middle Creek we got warned off swimming by an old bloke who said there were crocs there - not sure how true that is. The bay to the north of 1770 that is accessed from Eurimbula Creek campsite always looks (to my novice eye) like it would be a good spot and I've seen the odd kiter there using a tree stump to do a tethered self launch.

The Beaches in Deepwater are much steeper and rougher and not great for swimming so we usually just have a wander along the sand. Not sure what to expect after the recent fires. I have seen kiters there but it looks challenging.

Never been to the Broadwater or baffle creek.

Hope this helps

Jonesey32
QLD, 64 posts
14 Dec 2018 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers mate - that is awesome info.

UTB said..
Being a beginner I've only kited on the sand bar but I've been to the NP's quite a bit fishing etc. As of our last visit - no permits needed to drive in Deepwater or Eurimbula.

parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/pdf/deepwater-eurimbula-map.pdf

Its about 45mins - 1hr from 1770 to Middle Creek. When we went for a look at Middle Creek we got warned off swimming by an old bloke who said there were crocs there - not sure how true that is. The bay to the north of 1770 that is accessed from Eurimbula Creek campsite always looks (to my novice eye) like it would be a good spot and I've seen the odd kiter there using a tree stump to do a tethered self launch.

The Beaches in Deepwater are much steeper and rougher and not great for swimming so we usually just have a wander along the sand. Not sure what to expect after the recent fires. I have seen kiters there but it looks challenging.

Never been to the Broadwater or baffle creek.

Hope this helps

Bazinga
QLD, 63 posts
15 Dec 2018 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Wreck Rock is where most Gladstone kiters go to get a proper wave. Low tide is best. No permit needed for vehicles to parking lot. Approx 100m walk from car park. If you come from the southern end (Bundaberg side) you don't really need a 4wd to get to the carpark. If you come from Agnes Water through Deepwater NP you definitely need a 4wd.

alvadave
QLD, 70 posts
16 Dec 2018 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Baffle you drive up the beach from Rules Beach, it has a good combination of flatwater and waves. Last time I was up there was a couple of ok peaks a few hundred meters south of the beach entry at Rules. Just watch the tide if you don't want to get stuck there.

listery
QLD, 103 posts
21 Dec 2018 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys if anyone is planning a sesh at Agnes Water beach be aware that the rock shelf that runs along the beach below high tide level has become exposed again in some spots. Mainly between Surf Club Ave and Atlantis Blvd and another section a bit further south. The low tide will make this pretty obvious but if you're jumping in at mid tide be careful. Last Chrissy some crew lost some bark

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"1770 and Broadwater Haven Questions" started by Jonesey32