Forums > Sailing General

Best pre 1990 yachts to buy in the 26 -35 ft cruiser category?

Created by Seebreasy73 > 9 months ago, 13 Dec 2018
This topic has been locked
Seebreasy73
QLD, 334 posts
13 Dec 2018 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

I nominate the Compass 28/29 into this list, because based on good design, they are well built, easy to single hand, long cruise capable (circumnavigation included) - a dependable aussie built boat that wears it's age well, easy to upgrade and modernise if one wishes to do so.

wongaga
VIC, 599 posts
13 Dec 2018 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

It's an interesting idea, and of course as a C28 owner I would agree with your choice wouldn't I?

But seriously, your category might be a bit too broad, as there is little comparable between a 26 and a 35 footer, in terms of purchase price, running costs, performance and liveability. How about something like 25 - 28 (so the well-regarded Top Hat gets a mention), 28 - 30, 30 - 32, 32 and up.

Plenty of scope to quibble about the actual figures, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Cheers, Graeme

Seebreasy73
QLD, 334 posts
13 Dec 2018 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wongaga said..
It's an interesting idea, and of course as a C28 owner I would agree with your choice wouldn't I?

But seriously, your category might be a bit too broad, as there is little comparable between a 26 and a 35 footer, in terms of purchase price, running costs, performance and liveability. How about something like 25 - 28 (so the well-regarded Top Hat gets a mention), 28 - 30, 30 - 32, 32 and up.

Plenty of scope to quibble about the actual figures, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Cheers, Graeme

Precisely, broad spectrum, because most of us slide up and down on this scale. I think 26ft is the size where people start cosnidering a boat for more than a weekend sailer. Known few people sailing around the world on a 26 and also living on a 26. As for the 35ft end range, I think that is where single handling starts becoming an issue for most of us, average sailers. OK, give or take a foot or 2 perhaps and, yes I know, there are people who single handled bigger boats. Again, we are talking about average skippers, staying within the limits of comfortable sailing.

lydia
1659 posts
13 Dec 2018 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Cavalier 28.
Sails well cheap to run and you can fit a compass 28 inside it.
Also has the best thing for cruising with family, a stand up shower /toilet compartment.
like an old timer said to me years ago when referring to his lovely wife and daughter who cruised with him every holdiay, 'the Girls don't camp!'

samsturdy
NSW, 1659 posts
13 Dec 2018 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely a Santana 28. Solid and roomy. Separate head. Big cockpit. Sails very well. Sleeps six.

Cockpit
156 posts
13 Dec 2018 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Plus 1 for the Cav 28

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
13 Dec 2018 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Columbia 34
Mottle 33 (bias)
Catalina 32

twodogs1969
NSW, 1000 posts
13 Dec 2018 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Columbia 34
Mottle 33 (bias)
Catalina 32
Cruiser wants room and comfort

Bananabender
QLD, 1538 posts
13 Dec 2018 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Columbia 27 or 34. Bill Tripp design.
Very much under appreciated as looked upon as gin palaces with sails
over here.
Solidly built by International Marine Scoresby in 70/80,s
Quality fittings inside and out.
Lots used in bare boat charter.
Huge amount of interior space including headroom , 27 equal to 30 footer,with flush deck 34 has almost seven foot headroom ,easily take 15 bikini babes on deck.
Had many nights away with boss and three daughters. Enclosed head and basin.
Sailing ability
Easy to sail single handed including the 34 , used to do wags at RMYS
single handed in 27.
In a breeze tends to heel a fair bit before digging in . Will round up in hands of beginner in a breeze and lots of beginners had them at St. Kilda Marina.
Contrary to opinion has a good turn of speed well sailed.I represented Club in Combined Clubs race finishing off Brighton YC in 1978 and won division . (1 boat per club per division) . I did have very aggressive crew from other club boats and rig tuned beforehand though.
Would I sail around the world in a 27 na but in reality who does.

troubadour
NSW, 315 posts
13 Dec 2018 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Another vote for the Cav 28. Bang for your buck pretty hard to beat.

BlueMoon
865 posts
13 Dec 2018 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

I quite like this Ranger 26, sensible design fora smaller sized yacht.
yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/ranger-26-keel-yacht/226317

Ramona
NSW, 7400 posts
13 Dec 2018 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

If the choice is up to 35 feet then it does not make much sense to to pick something under but I will.

Few years ago I lusted after a Kalik 33 that was for sale and it ended up in Port Hacking. If your the owner and feel like selling feel free to call me.
I'm Fishermantwo here: www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?224239-Kalik-33
Tiller steered UFO34.
Aquafibre S&S 34 Same as Edward Heath sailed.

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
13 Dec 2018 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

I am forevermore convinced after sailing a few of the pre 1990 26-28 feet class boats available around Oz that the Adams 28 is on the top of the list.
The Top Hat is another little yacht on the top of the list which is worth mentioning.

I do not - this is purely personal - look kindly at the full keel boats in the class as they are not very good sailers, though most of them are well built and if properly maintained will reward the owners with many hours of pleasant memories spent aboard.

Like there is no single fishing rod, gun, motorcycle, or car is yet made for all occasions - nor has a sailing yacht left it's mould yet which could be qualified as 'all purpose'. Not with any honesty, anyway.

Perhaps, this makes it such fun and subject of never ending pleasant subject for banter and discussions as long as it is kept civilized.

Seebreasy73
QLD, 334 posts
13 Dec 2018 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sirgallivant said..
I am forevermore convinced after sailing a few of the pre 1990 26-28 feet class boats available around Oz that the Adams 28 is on the top of the list.
The Top Hat is another little yacht on the top of the list which is worth mentioning.

I do not - this is purely personal - look kindly at the full keel boats in the class as they are not very good sailers, though most of them are well built and if properly maintained will reward the owners with many hours of pleasant memories spent aboard.

Like there is no single fishing rod, gun, motorcycle, or car is yet made for all occasions - nor has a sailing yacht left it's mould yet which could be qualified as 'all purpose'. Not with any honesty, anyway.

Perhaps, this makes it such fun and subject of never ending pleasant subject for banter and discussions as long as it is kept civilized.

not discussing for all purpose sailboats. Jsut for the purpose of cruisng. And for that purpose, full keelers are pretty good I think. Certainly not the best for sharp turns and rapid tacking.

wongaga
VIC, 599 posts
13 Dec 2018 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Seebreasy73 said..

sirgallivant said..

not discussing for all purpose sailboats. Jsut for the purpose of cruisng. And for that purpose, full keelers are pretty good I think. Certainly not the best for sharp turns and rapid tacking.

No, but they are great to run aground in! Your keel stays there even, if it gets a few dings!

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
13 Dec 2018 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lydia said..
Cavalier 28.
Sails well cheap to run and you can fit a compass 28 inside it.
Also has the best thing for cruising with family, a stand up shower /toilet compartment.
like an old timer said to me years ago when referring to his lovely wife and daughter who cruised with him every holdiay, 'the Girls don't camp!'

No the girls don't camp do they?? My wife's idea of camping is checking into the Sheraton without a booking.

I nearly bought a Cav 28 (Cavort) from Johnathan but opted to spend $10k more for a Lotus 9.2 inside which one could fit most other 30 footers including thine.

An 11 ft beam on a 30 ft yacht says "Spaceship". Designed by Alan Wright says "Rocketship".

Three knots boat speed in five knots of breeze puts a smile on my face.

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
13 Dec 2018 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wongaga said..
No, but they are great to run aground in! Your keel stays there even, if it gets a few dings!

Yes we all run aground on occasion but that is not what we are supposed to do and the behavior of a yacht when it gets run aground should not be a calculation when choosing a yacht to buy.

In my experience when a fin keeler is run aground with as little as 2 to 4 inches less depth than it requires, it will stay there too and no amount of engine grunt will shift it.

sparau
QLD, 104 posts
14 Dec 2018 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BlueMoon said..
yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/ranger-26-keel-yacht/226317

Open transom and companionway that has all of a 10cm lip to stop water ingress is kind of giving me the heebie jeebies ??
A wave in the ocean? Chance in a million :)

BlueMoon
865 posts
14 Dec 2018 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sparau said..

BlueMoon said..

Open transom and companionway that has all of a 10cm lip to stop water ingress is kind of giving me the heebie jeebies ??

Its a good point spar, I had noticed that......as long as the vessel has good aft buoyancy(& it looks like it does) it shouldn't be a problem, you could also tie a low washboard in, in anything other than placid conditions, that would be a bit of a pita, but with the sliding hatch getting in & out is not too much of a problem. I would try to move the outboard onto the transom, rather than the bracket all the way back there to reduce prop coming out of water.

Yara
NSW, 1250 posts
14 Dec 2018 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

wongaga said..

Yes we all run aground on occasion but that is not what we are supposed to do and the behavior of a yacht when it gets run aground should not be a calculation when choosing a yacht to buy.

In my experience when a fin keeler is run aground with as little as 2 to 4 inches less depth than it requires, it will stay there too and no amount of engine grunt will shift it.

I think what Wongaga is saying is that the keel stays fastened to the boat. However, he is also talking about boats with integral internal ballast keels, rather than bolt-ons.

wongaga
VIC, 599 posts
14 Dec 2018 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

wongaga said..

I'm still looking for the bit where I said running-aground performance should be one of the purchase criteria.
As we used to say in the old days, "joke Joyce".

Chris 249
NSW, 3215 posts
14 Dec 2018 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sparau said..

BlueMoon said..

It's easy enough to put in a bottom board that would reach deck level.

As for the open transom - when has an open transom ever been a big problem? Seriously, I've sailed a few miles with them and never had an issue with a wave coming aboard. Apart from anything else, they drain fast.

Chris 249
NSW, 3215 posts
14 Dec 2018 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wongaga said..

Seebreasy73 said..

sirgallivant said..

What pre 1987 fin keel boat has lost a keel?

Yara
NSW, 1250 posts
14 Dec 2018 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris 249 said..

wongaga said..

Seebreasy73 said..

sirgallivant said..

A If you lost your keel at sea, you would be unlikely to survive to tell the tale.
B You don't have to lose a keel, but if you do get problems on an old boat, the cost of rectification is probably going to cost more than the boat is worth, for a boat in this size range.

MorningBird
NSW, 2644 posts
14 Dec 2018 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Cruising where? Sydney to Broken Bay or Sydney to New Caledonia?
Totally different boat.
If you are going seriously offshore the S&S34, UFO 34, Arends 33 or similar.
Internal volume won't matter a damn in a Force 7.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
14 Dec 2018 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

The question is too open ended .

Chris 249
NSW, 3215 posts
14 Dec 2018 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yara said..

Chris 249 said..

wongaga said..

Seebreasy73 said..

sirgallivant said..

A If you lost your keel at sea, you would be unlikely to survive to tell the tale.
B You don't have to lose a keel, but if you do get problems on an old boat, the cost of rectification is probably going to cost more than the boat is worth, for a boat in this size range.

Actually, there are lots of post '87 boats that lost their keels and had some, most or all of the crew survive. Martela, Drum, Planet X, Clywd, Speedboat, Wild Thing etc had all of their crews survive. Others tragically lost some crew, but luckily not all of them. So in fact you have a very good chance to tell the tale.

Of course, even if the crew do not survive, floating hulls have been found that tell a tragic tale - once they have lost their ballast, many modern boats float. But those that lose their keels are not pre '87 boats.

So why are people insinuating that boats like East Coast 31s, Currawongs, Holland 30s, Farr 1104s, Endeavour 24s and 26s and even Bluebirds inferior or unsafe in any way on account of their keels, when it appears that there is not the slightest bit of evidence for this claim?

I used to know a guy who had a Baker built Top Hat. It cracked around the keel off Lord Howe and damn near went down. Similarly, in the 1998 Hobart the long keelers had the worst record of deaths and sinkings out of all types, although we are dealing with very small numbers. I haven't raised those facts much, but they certainly give room to doubt any allegation that good fin keelers are significantly more prone to sinking or keel loss than long keelers.

Seebreasy73
QLD, 334 posts
15 Dec 2018 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

off topic in thread, but short note Chris, long keeler will sink most likely to the keel weight still attached/built into the boat plus the water intake. If you loose a fin keel, you loose a considerable amount of weight and the boat may still float and drift. Regardless, long keelers are the boats most consider fit for global sailing, but besides the point.

I would also like to nominate the Catalina 30, although American boat, it is one of the most successful production boats to date.

Bananabender
QLD, 1538 posts
15 Dec 2018 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Pretty broard range because of lack at parameters.
What about a Noelex 30 trailer sailer.
Holds value compared to keelers. no mooring fees, tow to holiday spot say Whitsundays from down South in a couple of days and spend more time in Paradise. Cheaper insurance. Run aground ! No problem raise keel and off you go. Same for entering inlets, creeks, etc,etc.
Use as caravan on road .
No issues with anchoring ,raise keel and take up to beach . Fairly quick. Low maintenance ,no anti fouling unless leaving in water. Take home to work on, wash down etc. Only downsides are ,needing tow vehicle but hey everyone has a large suv thesedays and not as roomy as equivalent keeler.
So why are trailer sailers pretty much a dying class of boat in Aust. ?
www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/noelex-30/209726

Seebreasy73
QLD, 334 posts
16 Dec 2018 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bananabender said..
Holds value compared to keelers. no mooring fees, tow to holiday spot say Whitsundays from down South in a couple of days and spend more time in Paradise. Cheaper insurance. Run aground ! No problem raise keel and off you go. Same for entering inlets, creeks, etc,etc.
Use as caravan on road .
No issues with anchoring ,raise keel and take up to beach . Fairly quick. Low maintenance ,no anti fouling unless leaving in water. Take home to work on, wash down etc. Only downsides are ,needing tow vehicle but hey everyone has a large suv thesedays and not as roomy as equivalent keeler.

I think as its name suggest, these are "in an out boats" for a quick weekend sail. I would not take any trailer sailer further off shore, or even endeavour on sailing to tassy.

Bananabender
QLD, 1538 posts
16 Dec 2018 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Seebreasy73 said..

Bananabender said..
Use as caravan on road .

I think as its name suggest, these are "in an out boats" for a quick weekend sail. I would not take any trailer sailer further off shore, or even endeavour on sailing to tassy.

I know what your saying but definition of cruising? Cruising up the Murray or Cruising offshore.
Don't tell the avid trailer sailors that trailer the boat to a distination then spend weeks cruising the area. Have a read in the July issue of cruising helmsman "Living it up". Was speaking to couple in their seventies couple of months ago from Atherton Tablelands. Spent six months on road trailering to places like Whitsundays, Moreton/Broardwater,Lake Macquarie ,Pittwater and cruised each area for a a week or a month then hitched up boat and drove home.

Subscribe
Topic Is Locked

This topic has been locked

Forums > Sailing General

"Best pre 1990 yachts to buy in the 26 -35 ft cruiser category?" started by Seebreasy73