Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

2019 Jimmy Lewis Flying V

Created by JEG > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2019
JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
15 Aug 2019 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am 5'5" 80kg with foiling learners permit. Bought this board from Jimmy Lewis Australia "cheers Rob" Flying-V 6'5" x 28.5" 115ltrs weight at 7kg none carbon. I will do a test run soon to see if I'm good enough to handle the beauty of the beast/bucking bull.

Have tried other dedicated foil board brands, one was light a bit short for my skill, had deck pad issue, it feel unbalanced, easily damage and the construction wasn't that good for a carbon board, one had good length and volume for my skill but a bit heavy, also unbalance, grab handle was made for tiny child hands, leash plug was also tiny and difficult to push through leash rope and need screwdriver or key aid. Also, tried a hybrid board sup surf & foil and had both dual track and tutle foil mount, good construction, nice training aid to learn to foil, easy to puddle out but had to compromise from a surf sup design and now I'm ready to just ride a dedicated foil board.

Happy to share my stoked about Jimmy Lewis boards if you see me on either 14ft, sup surf & sup foil.

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
15 Aug 2019 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Nice board JEG! I found 115 Litres just right for me at around 80 kgs weight. My converted Coreban is 7ft by 31.5. 115 litres. So if I ever want to replace it then I would definitely consider the Flying -V.

16 Aug 2019 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeg,
Enjoy & happy flying :)

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
19 Aug 2019 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

I lost approximately 2kg from my previous foil setup and its noticeable from carrying the board to and from the beach. The board is more reactive in the surf and you also have to watch it on those windy days. Was lucky with my 1st session at 2-3ft clean and hardly any wind. I have never caught that many waves in 1hr and I was starting to get fatigued after trying to balance this new small lightweight board. It's a bit tippy shape than those square type board but easier to catch a wave for it shape and size. You can angle turn or lean/bank it more and recover and I did a few by accident and also the paint is a bit slippery. Had a few short and long flights though with a few technical flaws that I need to work on but so far soo good.
The 2nd-afternoon session wasn't that good 1-2ft really windy cross-shore and it was hard going and I was tired so it was time to quit. 2nd day was again windy with cross-shore with a wrong tide so I just paddle around to get used to the board for about an hour trying to catch a wave. 3rd day was 1-2ft with a slight crosswind, it was fun and had a few flights and I wish I was Derek or Autsin that knows how to pump these tiny waves.
I'm not sure how this board will perform above 3ft windy days with strong current and if you see me falling a lot, please laugh with me and this just normal ;D
Overall, this board shape, size, and liters is my limit and I am really happy with this board with my Gofoil 28.5 mast, IWA & Kai wing. I like to try the Kai front wing and one day try downwind with bigger wings but not sure which wings M280 or GL240 and with what tail.

19 Aug 2019 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeg,
Glad you had success with your board & enjoyed it & it will only be flying from here on in...
As far as downwinding goes though the M280 is the wing to learn on...The GL's are for people who have been downwinding for a while & have it dialed.. The M280 & M200 will still suit most people when it comes to learning to downwinding....They're more stable & easier to "pop" up on...
Enjoy :)

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
20 Aug 2019 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

thanks Rob, the 2nd day I started to get real comfortable with the board on windy choppy condition and I feel like I could paddle for hours though it will be interesting on those gnarly days.
what tail would you recommend for dw on M280 as I have the Maliko tail?

21 Aug 2019 6:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeg, the maliko tail is the best for downwinding with the M280 especially when learning

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
26 Aug 2019 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

I manage to do 3days in a row of surf foil, 14ft down breeze & back to surf foil & that 3rd-day of foiling I was knackered & could hardly balance but still cached a few flights :)

Finally got to test the foil board on some strong current, moderate-high winds and above 3ft and its better than I thought. Its hard work to paddle balance but the reward flights were fun. This board is a wave catching machine and it's so light and with the Go Foil IWA is so responsive that my foil learner brain having problem reacting to this new feeling of speed and 3-dimensional balance sensation above the water is overwhelming but fun to do ;D

27 Aug 2019 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Stoked you're enjoying your Flying V Jeg...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"2019 Jimmy Lewis Flying V" started by JEG