Site Sponsor
24 Oct 2019 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Check out the 2020 Fanatic Sky SUP foilboard

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
24 Oct 2019 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

nice and I like that middle ridge, good for the newbies and I think every board brand should have them.

Gashed
NSW, 53 posts
24 Oct 2019 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome board! Probably the best production board I've seen of the 2020 releases so far!

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
24 Oct 2019 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah great board I was riding the 2020 model 6-7 in my latest Wing Ding video .

pitbulldoug
133 posts
25 Oct 2019 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SurfFX said..

Nice review definitely interesting board.Ive been interested in the new 6'11" and the fanatic site never listed it's weight for some time (now know why) saying TBD until recently listing it at 9.2kg or close to 20.5 lbs kinda heavy for a somewhat small supfoil,heck my1st supfoil years ago a SB 8'0" hypernut was a few lbs lighter than that! one important aspect left out of the review my bad if I missed it?kinda a game changer for me unfortunately as I like the board shape and all especially for a big guy at 225lb,but for a board that size with all the build tech out there especially that fanatic has feel they missed the mark here, should have made it lighter that's a bummer!Or at least offered a carbon build model of sorts with a reasonable weight,or maybe they do?that would be nice if there's a option.

gibo
QLD, 213 posts
25 Oct 2019 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Got the 6'7" on order . Anyone know of a well fitting travel cover? Can get custom from Surf Aids, but was wondering if there are any foil spefic covers on the market yet?

DB2
98 posts
25 Oct 2019 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi gibo,

I just picked up my 6'7" last night and I am looking for a board bag as well. There should be one from Blue planet surf the fits the Sky Sup, unfortunately not available in Europe. Ion Has a 6'11" stubby core one. The only downside is, that the Core board bags have limited protection.

BR,

David

Thatspec
327 posts
27 Oct 2019 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Have been using the 6'11" for about a month now and loving it. The intention was downwind sup foiling but so far my limited attempts have been humiliating so with a need to propel the beast and having some residual memory of kitesurfing, in short, it kites great! I'm pushing 95kg all up and use Go Foil parts below, long mast w/ plate adapter, occasional M200 front wing but mostly Iwa. Pretty much only a 7M or 5M kite, never even tried the 9M. Downwinder yesterday gusting 35+ (mph) the board is certainly not the limiting factor, just the Iwa and the kite but when your going off the wind 15+ mph that takes a lot of wind out of the kite. I may not even bother trying to paddle the damn thing or even get a wing thingy, (maybe the wing thing when the market settles down) we'll see what the future brings.

Highly recommend the 6-11!

ryno15
SA, 5 posts
29 Oct 2019 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Thatspec said..
Have been using the 6'11" for about a month now and loving it. The intention was downwind sup foiling but so far my limited attempts have been humiliating so with a need to propel the beast and having some residual memory of kitesurfing, in short, it kites great! I'm pushing 95kg all up and use Go Foil parts below, long mast w/ plate adapter, occasional M200 front wing but mostly Iwa. Pretty much only a 7M or 5M kite, never even tried the 9M. Downwinder yesterday gusting 35+ (mph) the board is certainly not the limiting factor, just the Iwa and the kite but when your going off the wind 15+ mph that takes a lot of wind out of the kite. I may not even bother trying to paddle the damn thing or even get a wing thingy, (maybe the wing thing when the market settles down) we'll see what the future brings.

Highly recommend the 6-11!

Thanks for the info Thatspec. Im pushing 95kegs also, so i think the fact your happy with the 6'11 gives me a lot of confidence.

Im interested to know if there is a big difference between this years model and last years Sky 6'10 other than the obvious changes detailed by the video? more in the ride change specifically, there are some significantly cheaper 2019 models on the market which is tempting me if there is no huge difference!
Cheers

Thatspec
327 posts
30 Oct 2019 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I can't offer any comparisons, short of the 148cm kitefoil board I learned on. The biggest difference between the 2019 and 2020 Fanatics would have to be the cut away tail. These guys all seem to be copying each other, I'm assuming Kalama probably implemented that tail design first and it's useful when underpowered pumping up onto the foil.

Sure it's heavier than a carbon Kalama but then it's a $1000 cheaper too. I think 9.2Kg is quite reasonable for a 142L board. Maybe that's why it behaves so well in 35+. Yesterday we had a 13-16 mph forecast that went 30+ and I was stuck out on the 7 Meter kite, this time not downwinding but forced to stay upwind and the board behaved great. Assume it must be that the foil wing is keeping windward edge of the board from being lifted and blown away as we've all experienced with regular windsurf / kitesurf boards. Board size seems to be less relevant with foiling except when it's time to pump. That said I pump through holes all the time with the 6-11 but the two times I tried to maintain speed pumping off tow and dock starting I didn't get far.

Krist
QLD, 288 posts
31 Oct 2019 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

I just got a 6'11 and am super stoked on the whole package, strength seems to be tip top and design is next level ! Starting at the tail first wave I caught first session ( I hadn't been out for 3 weeks) and I was up without even knowing it it was that smooth, once up the control was out of this world of course I had just dropped a foot in length but even so the concave deck does something special to flight stability it was incredible. I had it out in absolute crap but the board just worked so well I stayed out for 3 hours until the legs gave up ?????? from me and now I know what I want in a custom board so double bonus.

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
1 Nov 2019 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pitbulldoug said..

SurfFX said..

Nice review definitely interesting board.Ive been interested in the new 6'11" and the fanatic site never listed it's weight for some time (now know why) saying TBD until recently listing it at 9.2kg or close to 20.5 lbs kinda heavy for a somewhat small supfoil,heck my1st supfoil years ago a SB 8'0" hypernut was a few lbs lighter than that! one important aspect left out of the review my bad if I missed it?kinda a game changer for me unfortunately as I like the board shape and all especially for a big guy at 225lb,but for a board that size with all the build tech out there especially that fanatic has feel they missed the mark here, should have made it lighter that's a bummer!Or at least offered a carbon build model of sorts with a reasonable weight,or maybe they do?that would be nice if there's a option.

Yeah i agree 9kg plus is pushing the limits here.
Just to give some comparison we just finished molding a new 6'5 x 29 x 127L recessed deck problay about the same price as most big brands none carbon boards and weights for these are mid to high 6kg for the full Carbon full PVC sandwich or mid 7kg for the none carbon PVC sandwich. Price is probably one of the cheapest on the market in Australia for the none carbon.

When everyone started making foil boards 9kg might have been ok but now unless the board is really big i would not be getting something that weighs that much because if you want to learn to pump then the lighter the board the better and a KG or 2 can make a big difference.

If it is super cheap i guess 9kg might also be alright and in the learning stages a bit of weight is not a huge deal but once you start to get better then weight sucks. Is there to light? Well not that we have found but we find around that 6kg mark is a good area where the boards are bomb proof and we can still get them light.

Krist
QLD, 288 posts
1 Nov 2019 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..

pitbulldoug said..

SurfFX said..

Just to give some comparison we just finished molding a new 6'5 x 29 x 127L recessed deck problay about the same price as most big brands none carbon boards and weights for these are mid to high 6kg for the full Carbon full PVC sandwich or mid 7kg for the none carbon PVC sandwich. Price is probably one of the cheapest on the market in Australia for the none carbon.

When everyone started making foil boards 9kg might have been ok but now unless the board is really big i would not be getting something that weighs that much because if you want to learn to pump then the lighter the board the better and a KG or 2 can make a big difference.

If it is super cheap i guess 9kg might also be alright and in the learning stages a bit of weight is not a huge deal but once you start to get better then weight sucks. Is there to light? Well not that we have found but we find around that 6kg mark is a good area where the boards are bomb proof and we can still get them light.

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..

pitbulldoug said..

SurfFX said..

If it is super cheap i guess 9kg might also be alright and in the learning stages a bit of weight is not a huge deal but once you start to get better then weight sucks. Is there to light? Well not that we have found but we find around that 6kg mark is a good area where the boards are bomb proof and we can still get them light

As you say I don't notice the weight being a beginner just the thrill of losing a foot is amazing I definitely would have gone a 6'5 x29x127 if I thought I could use it as my one board but unfortunately I am in the sell to buy scenario so one board it is . Ask me in a month if weight is a big deal because I would put my money on me having a different answer.
I thought about going custom as I think the big brands take the ideas guys like ONE , Dave Kalama and Dale Chapman have and incorporate them into their designs. Like the custom ONE boards I have seen up here the fanatic has a concave deck which is mind blowingly stable and responsive when up it is a totally different flight sensation combined with the length drop and that tail which seems to make you lift it really is a top board albeit a maybe tad too heavy.

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
1 Nov 2019 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Krist said..

paul.j said..

pitbulldoug said..

SurfFX said..

paul.j said..

pitbulldoug said..

SurfFX said..

If it is super cheap i guess 9kg might also be alright and in the learning stages a bit of weight is not a huge deal but once you start to get better then weight sucks. Is there to light? Well not that we have found but we find around that 6kg mark is a good area where the boards are bomb proof and we can still get them light

As you say I don't notice the weight being a beginner just the thrill of losing a foot is amazing I definitely would have gone a 6'5 x29x127 if I thought I could use it as my one board but unfortunately I am in the sell to buy scenario so one board it is . Ask me in a month if weight is a big deal because I would put my money on me having a different answer.
I thought about going custom as I think the big brands take the ideas guys like ONE , Dave Kalama and Dale Chapman have and incorporate them into their designs. Like the custom ONE boards I have seen up here the fanatic has a concave deck which is mind blowingly stable and responsive when up it is a totally different flight sensation combined with the length drop and that tail which seems to make you lift it really is a top board albeit a maybe tad too heavy.

Yeah it's a time thing and if someone has never used a light weight board then it's not really a issue but once you do it is very hard to ride anything else. You will know when the time is right and when it gets to point where you might want to pump further and link waves even easier as it does all help but the biggest difference when still working it all out is the thing that comes for free and that is time on the water to get better technique.

We are always working on ways to get boards lighter but never want it to come at the sacrifice of durability this is why the production boards are light but still super strong, we can do some custom stuff which can be lighter but people have to understand when it comes to most things like this the lighter things get the more fragile they can become. Both Ben and i are playing around with proto boards all the time and we can get this into the low 5kg range but we just understand we have to take a bit more care on this type of board where as if i ride the new 5'10 x 27.5 x 107L which weighs 6.2kg then i know i can beat the **** out of it and it takes it with a smile.

100% agree on the recessed deck feel and why we have made the 2 new models with this and both Ben and myself have been riding this style for quite some time, it gives a better feel to the foil and makes it feel much nicer under foot.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"2020 Fanatic SKY SUP Foilboard Video" started by SurfFX