Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong 1050/1200/1550 Review

Created by toppleover > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2020
toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
1 Feb 2020 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

I've been scouring the interweb for reviews on my next foil, thought this one is very good.

foilsurfing.net/armstrong-foil-review/

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
1 Feb 2020 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks toppleover ,He really went all out to do that review, must have plenty of cash to buy a quiver of MFC then Armstrong!
Interesting how the change from the -2 shim to the 0 made all the difference for him, He should try the +1 shim it's another performance step up again.
I find myself @ 82 kg using the 1550 ( 0 shim) for 1-3 ft surf then changing to the +1 for bigger, haven't used the 1200 that much but can't wait till winter when the swell gets bigger.
lovin the Armstrong!

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Feb 2020 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
I've been scouring the interweb for reviews on my next foil, thought this one is very good.

foilsurfing.net/armstrong-foil-review/

Serious review
he rides small foils, I missed his weight. At 105kg I do not find the 1550 a 'big' wing. I know 80kg guys who just ride the 1550 so disagree you need a quiver. Saying that I have one

fatfish96
14 posts
1 Feb 2020 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Kobo, when you say "using the 1550 ( 0 shim) for 1-3 ft surf then changing to the +1 for bigger, haven't used the 1200 that much but can't wait till winter when the swell gets bigger." What is the +1 shim you are using? Does that raise the front or back of the stabilizer. Does that decrease lift?

I just got the 1550 a month ago and am still figuring it out. thanks.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
1 Feb 2020 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Fatfish ..there are 3 shims ( -2, 0, +1 ) the -2 pushes the tail down the most making the front wing lift the most it also slows things down giving earlier lift , but not as much top end speed.I don't use the -2 as it's aimed at learners but it might be handy when I want to start DW.
I find the 0 shim gives me nice early lift in small waves and allows me to milk everything, it also turns very easily and pumps easily.
The +1 shim is the fastest and when the waves get over 3 ft and I don't want to blow out on the takeoff or when speeding down the line this is the shim I use. It also pumps good as it makes the rig more efficient ( less drag from tailwing ) but I'm not a great pumper yet , but I'm definitely improving on the Armstrong, I still find it easier to pump back out using the 0 shim but I recon that's just me being used to the extra lift it provides over the +1
This is my experience @ 82 kgs on a 5'10 prone board , I guess you would have to experiment if you are heavier or using a sup.

Hilly , old mate is only 63 kgs so a 1550 would be a big wing for him.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Feb 2020 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

As it would happen I got to the beach this morning and a mate had the 1050 wing. Brand new first ride. Saw him afterwards and he was frothing. "It's so fast, turns so well" repeat repeat

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
1 Feb 2020 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hilly,How much does you mate weigh? Not sure where this wing would fit in for me @82 kgs

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Feb 2020 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Hilly,How much does you mate weigh? Not sure where this wing would fit in for me @82 kgs

He would be close to that. Here is Sky Rama on it
www.instagram.com/p/B8A1IninCc8/?igshid=1yfz1gqss9ye

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
2 Feb 2020 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody Sky Rama ! I'm sick of him ripping , He's the reason I bought an Armstrong in the first place , I would be as good as him if I was younger, retired and more talented too.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
2 Feb 2020 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Bloody Sky Rama ! I'm sick of him ripping , He's the reason I bought an Armstrong in the first place , I would be as good as him if I was younger, retired and more talented too.

Pretty sure Sky is in his mid 50's & 83kg

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
2 Feb 2020 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for pointing that out toppleover, so it's just lack of talent I have left as an excuse

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
4 Feb 2020 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
I'm not a great pumper yet ,
This is my experience @ 82 kgs on a 5'10 prone board

That's a big board to pump, how many liters kobo?

Have a mate that's about 82kg - he's on a 4'8

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
5 Feb 2020 6:04AM
Thumbs Up

It's a SS Skywalker @51 lts so I'm ready to downsize, I also ride my 4'8 alien air which is fine when waves are small , and no long paddle out and yes it pumps way easier.Probs need to get something 4'10 - 5.0 @ 40 lts I recon.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
5 Feb 2020 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
It's a SS Skywalker @51 lts so I'm ready to downsize, I also ride my 4'8 alien air which is fine when waves are small , and no long paddle out and yes it pumps way easier.Probs need to get something 4'10 - 5.0 @ 40 lts I recon.

Yeah, small boards make it heaps easier to pump - couldn't believe the difference when I got my 4'4.

willow75
28 posts
5 Feb 2020 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

4'5" - 33L Armstrong Board, hs1550 & 232 tail with 0 shim... Such easy pumping! The new small tail really makes all the difference, definitely agree with the review as well from the wings I have tried..

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
5 Feb 2020 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
willow75 said..

4'5" - 33L Armstrong Board, hs1550 & 232 tail with 0 shim... Such easy pumping! The new small tail really makes all the difference, definitely agree with the review as well from the wings I have tried..

Nice rig, pick up my 1550 next week & my new 4'4 Amos shapes board is hopefully not too far away also

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
5 Feb 2020 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
willow75 said..

Nice ..full Armstrong rig, think the board would be too small for me.How much was the 232 tail wing ?

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
5 Feb 2020 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
willow75 said..

Willow75 - Nice setup (I have the exact same, including the F-One Swing). I haven't had a chance to test out the 4'5" board with the swing yet. How's it go for you? I'm 65kgs (w/ out my 4/5MM suit etc.).

Filow
225 posts
10 Feb 2020 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone can make a comparison with the GL gofoil line ? Would love to have a feedback on the HS 1550 and the GL 240 as they have the same surface

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
14 Feb 2020 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

I just had my first session on the 1050 wing in small waves (would have normally been on the 1550 or 1200, but wanted to test the 1050). Being only 65kgs, I was excited to have a wing with a bit less lift. It went super well and I was double dipping by my 8th wave. I made basically every wave I paddled for, despite being blown off the back of a few by offshores). With larger wings, like the 1550, I can bailf the take-off on occasion as I reach peak altitude too quickly in steeper drops. The 1050 is a very forgiving wing for sure, despite being very lively. I can't wait to have it out in a bit more swell!

I'm still learning every session and I was able to finally get some small S-turn type carves (not laying into cut backs), which I think has a lot to do with the wing size to my weight ratio. I was trying the S-Turns on the 1550 and when trying to initiate the second 'turn' in the S Turn, I kept going one way, while the wing would go the other way (harder to wrangle).

After riding the 1050, I've decided to chop shop the HS232 down to 212. Also thinking of picking up the 50CM fuselage (expensive though).

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
15 Feb 2020 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MidAtlanticFoil said..
I just had my first session on the 1050 wing in small waves (would have normally been on the 1550 or 1200, but wanted to test the 1050). Being only 65kgs, I was excited to have a wing with a bit less lift. It went super well and I was double dipping by my 8th wave. I made basically every wave I paddled for, despite being blown off the back of a few by offshores). With larger wings, like the 1550, I can bailf the take-off on occasion as I reach peak altitude too quickly in steeper drops. The 1050 is a very forgiving wing for sure, despite being very lively. I can't wait to have it out in a bit more swell!

I'm still learning every session and I was able to finally get some small S-turn type carves (not laying into cut backs), which I think has a lot to do with the wing size to my weight ratio. I was trying the S-Turns on the 1550 and when trying to initiate the second 'turn' in the S Turn, I kept going one way, while the wing would go the other way (harder to wrangle).

After riding the 1050, I've decided to chop shop the HS232 down to 212. Also thinking of picking up the 50CM fuselage (expensive though).

I was going to order a 50 fuse with my new 1550 set but was informed by a couple of foilers that the 60 was the sweet size.
Also I'd be interested to hear in how the 212 goes once you've had some time on it please.

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
15 Feb 2020 4:16AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I should definitely try the chopped 232 tail before springing for the the 50CM fuselage. Plan on chopping this weekend. I had been riding the 70cm a lot when I was on my longer 4'10" prone board. The smaller 4'5" Armstrong board is making it easier for me to ride the shorter 60cm fuse. I think it has to do with easier foot placement on the shorter board. Less scooting my feet around for sure.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
15 Feb 2020 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

MidAtlanticFoil said..

I was going to order a 50 fuse with my new 1550 set but was informed by a couple of foilers that the 60 was the sweet size.
Also I'd be interested to hear in how the 212 goes once you've had some time on it please.

Just rode the 1550 with the 232 tail, I did what you you said toppleover and put the 0 shim on first. Glad I did because I don't think I could handle any more performance at this point.Wow what a difference it makes ,it was so fast and loose,can't believe how easy it is to turns ,even at speed.I did have to concentrate more on the altitude though as it seems much more sensitive to input now.Has anyone ridden the small tail with the 1200 ? Also it seems not as easy to pump with the small tail wing,but that might just be me no used to it yet.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 1050/1200/1550 Review" started by toppleover