Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong 1200 vs hs1050

Created by kobo 1 month ago, 29 May 2020
kobo
NSW, 255 posts
29 May 2020 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Keen to hear from anyone who's used both wings.Ive been using the 1200 lately while the swell has been bigger and loving it for bigger waves , but I'm also curious about the hs 1050 and what the differences are.

toppleover
QLD, 1682 posts
29 May 2020 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Keen to hear from anyone who's used both wings.Ive been using the 1200 lately while the swell has been bigger and loving it for bigger waves , but I'm also curious about the hs 1050 and what the differences are.

Funny, that's exactly what I'm researching atm - so far it seems the hs1050 has a thinner profile & therefore faster than the 1200.
But personally, I have not tried either wing yet - hope to try a mates 1200 soon.

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
29 May 2020 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yep Im deciding if I need to put it on my shopping list, having said that I have been using the 1200 with 232 tail and +1ttf and it's an absolute weapon, it's like the small brother of the 1550 in handling, and great in bigger swells , haven't found its limit yet but I need to take it tow surfing next big swell and see how it goes.But the 1050 has got me curious.

HubDekkers
12 posts
29 May 2020 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

I'm lucky to have both in my quiver, but haven't done a back to back compare. I'll try to get that done over the weekend (with wingdinging). Normally I just take the 1050 :)

willow75
23 posts
29 May 2020 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Absolutely love the 1050, smoother and faster and so maneuverable, keep trying to use it on the wingding in too little wind though which doesn't end well . The 1200 was my favourite before I got this one.. Great for towing though, and as a windy wingding wing :)

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
29 May 2020 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

So you're telling me I do have to buy a 1050.....how much do you way willow75 and do you ride it in small waves as well

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
29 May 2020 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry , how much do you weigh

hilly
WA, 5353 posts
29 May 2020 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

at 105kg it is tow only for me. Heaps of lighter guys have them here, they love it fast and maneuverable. It does not pump as well as the 1200 apparently. Nice looking wing, wish I weighed 70kg

toppleover
QLD, 1682 posts
6 Jun 2020 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

A HS1200 would be nice, for my local & even @ 72kg I don't think a 1050 wouldn't get much use - just paddling in....(similar size to the Axis 66).

willow75
23 posts
6 Jun 2020 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yea I am probably cheating as im only 60kg.. But I have seen a 90kg guy riding the 1050 in about 10-15kn on the wing as well... Just need a big wing ding and its all good! I haven't surfed it yet, but saw some guy ripping on one and managing to pump back out.. But way harder work to pump!

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
6 Jun 2020 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Got whacked in the front leg today on the 1550 and now I'm limping, maybe if I was riding the the smaller 1050 it would have missed me .......good enough reason to buy one I recon.

toppleover
QLD, 1682 posts
6 Jun 2020 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Got whacked in the front leg today on the 1550 and now I'm limping, maybe if I was riding the the smaller 1050 it would have missed me .......good enough reason to buy one I recon.

Yep, safety first mate
Think I'll wait for the HS1250

Jeffs256
NSW, 38 posts
9 Jun 2020 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

I surfed my 1050 for the first time - Foil Bay in Sydney on the weekend. Too big really as well-overhead sets were closing out the entire bay, so it was all about sneaking around the ledges for the scraps, with a few throwing the board and diving for the bottom on the clean-ups.

My only comparison for decent sized prone surfing is with the GF Kai 1.0. The 1050 is lots faster, and it handled a couple of decent takeoff drops without breaching. Something I've not managed to do before on the Kai - foiled a wave from the southern most ledge right through the middle deep water across to the northern side left-hander without a single pump. It carried phenomenal speed - over the back of double-ups where even a pumped Kai would stall out. I wasn't brave enough to do a full noise turn, but on the smaller inside sections the 1050 will go on-rail without lots of mid-turn loft adjustments. Another first was staying on my feet and landing a breach when a goat boater was giving me a hoot.

I'm 75kg, and my pumping was only good for 50m or so before touchdown. Anyway - totally stoked with the 1050, it's a great prone wing for overhead surf.

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
9 Jun 2020 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeffs256 said..
I surfed my 1050 for the first time - Foil Bay in Sydney on the weekend. Too big really as well-overhead sets were closing out the entire bay, so it was all about sneaking around the ledges for the scraps, with a few throwing the board and diving for the bottom on the clean-ups.

My only comparison for decent sized prone surfing is with the GF Kai 1.0. The 1050 is lots faster, and it handled a couple of decent takeoff drops without breaching. Something I've not managed to do before on the Kai - foiled a wave from the southern most ledge right through the middle deep water across to the northern side left-hander without a single pump. It carried phenomenal speed - over the back of double-ups where even a pumped Kai would stall out. I wasn't brave enough to do a full noise turn, but on the smaller inside sections the 1050 will go on-rail without lots of mid-turn loft adjustments. Another first was staying on my feet and landing a breach when a goat boater was giving me a hoot.

I'm 75kg, and my pumping was only good for 50m or so before touchdown. Anyway - totally stoked with the 1050, it's a great prone wing for overhead surf.

Awesome, sounds like you had a blast on it, thanks for the info just what I'm looking for, I'm 82 kgs and thinking of the 1050 for a tow/ bigger wave wing ,sounds like it goes good in overhead size waves.
Cheers Kobo

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
9 Jun 2020 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

By the way what tail and fuse were you running ?

Zsadar
NSW, 11 posts
9 Jun 2020 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeffs256 said..

Where is Foil Bay in Sydney?

Jeffs256
NSW, 38 posts
9 Jun 2020 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

60cm fuse and 232 tail on a 0 shim. Still yet to try the +1 that Alex from Stonker recommended - should make it even faster!

Foil Bay is where you'll see Casso and Jezza SUP foiling almost daily - those guys have amazing stamina, I'm sitting arse deep on my 35 litre prone board getting exhausted just watching them!

kobo
NSW, 255 posts
9 Jun 2020 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, I run the same setup with the +1 ,and Yes it will make it faster and slightly less lifty.....should be a weapon !

Zsadar
NSW, 11 posts
9 Jun 2020 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jeffs256 said..

kobo said..

60cm fuse and 232 tail on a 0 shim. Still yet to try the +1 that Alex from Stonker recommended - should make it even faster!

Foil Bay is where you'll see Casso and Jezza SUP foiling almost daily - those guys have amazing stamina, I'm sitting arse deep on my 35 litre prone board getting exhausted just watching them!

That's not overly descriptive. You've said yes, it exists and people go there. Are we talking about brown water?

Cygnify
QLD, 83 posts
11 Jun 2020 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Just had the 1050 out for its first session. Overhead waves, difficult to catch at times, especially as your trying to dial the new wing in. But the waves I managed to catch - wow! What really surprised me was the amount of glide it had for such a small wing, even the pumping while obviously difficult to maintain for massive distances, was actually easier to pump than I thought it would be. Of course had great control when taking off on a wave - it was confidence inspiring.

Can't wait to use this wing tow-surfing would be my go to when the waves are decent. Would be a real weapon here with the 85cm mast - I used the 72 cm mast today, perhaps I could have gone 85.

I weigh 73kg max for reference.

toppleover
QLD, 1682 posts
11 Jun 2020 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone out there tried both the HS1050 & Axis 66 and could let me know how they compared please ?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 1200 vs hs1050" started by kobo