Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong 1550 with 232 tail

Created by kobo > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2020
kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
21 Feb 2020 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Woohoo, Nice looking board is it full carbon ? Had an arvo sesh on the 1550 with 232 & 0 ,I thought it was going to be to
hard to pump for me after my first couple of goes but I found the sweet spot and it just kept going easy as ,I couldn't believe it !
Im thinking the 232 is easier to pump if you get everything right , but there is less margin for error so once you lose it there's no recovering, for me anyhow.
Toppleover ,how light is the whole setup ! Yeehaa.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
21 Feb 2020 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Woohoo, Nice looking board is it full carbon ? Had an arvo sesh on the 1550 with 232 & 0 ,I thought it was going to be to
hard to pump for me after my first couple of goes but I found the sweet spot and it just kept going easy as ,I couldn't believe it !
Im thinking the 232 is easier to pump if you get everything right , but there is less margin for error so once you lose it there's no recovering, for me anyhow.
Toppleover ,how light is the whole setup ! Yeehaa.

Yes, full carbon & it's also been vacuum bagged, super easy to carry around now - no sore/changing shoulders etc.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
21 Feb 2020 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

2nd sesh at my local, don't think I've lost any glide or pump that my 900 had - but the 1550 feels like a short board compared to a mal in comparison.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
21 Feb 2020 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Sick Rig ! and yeh the 1550 is a surfing weapon.

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
21 Feb 2020 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

That setup looks insane.

My 50CM fuse is out for delivery today. Kinda nervous! I do like to ride my skateboards with the trucks loosened to the max, so hopefully I can adapt.

-@foilgraham

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
23 Feb 2020 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

Ok so I was wrong about the 232. First one I tried hummed and felt really vague so I returned it thinking it was not for me. Armie basically said htfu and get used to it due to performance gains. So I got a 232 and used it today. It is amazing. No hum super fast. Harder to control depth and sweeping turns but quick turns are awesome. Only change is smaller board with mast track further forward. Next step chop shop.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
23 Feb 2020 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

Chop shop verdict from a fellow frother:
**** yeah !!!!!! Best mod I've done so far apart from getting an Armstrong. Tighter turns and not nursing it through high speed turns. Pumps a fair bit easier and faster too. Didn't effect the lift just removed the hand break. Wonder how much more can be cut down.

fatfish96
14 posts
23 Feb 2020 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

Are you guys using the 60 cm fuselage or the 70. I bought my kit with the 70 and now am wondering if the 60 will loosen things up a bit. thanks.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
23 Feb 2020 6:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Chop shop verdict from a fellow frother:
**** yeah !!!!!! Best mod I've done so far apart from getting an Armstrong. Tighter turns and not nursing it through high speed turns. Pumps a fair bit easier and faster too. Didn't effect the lift just removed the hand break. Wonder how much more can be cut down.

I found this the same when I went from a 440 to 370 stab on my Axis setup. There's less drag, so it was faster/turned tighter & pumped better.
Have not chopped mine yet but keen to hear how others are finding it...I see Sky has recently done his.
@fatfish, I've got the 60cm & it's pretty loose - don't think I'll need the 50 for a while yet.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
23 Feb 2020 7:13AM
Thumbs Up

Same ,I've got 60 fuse and haven't Chop it yet , plenty loose enough for me atm and after 4 sessions on it I'm getting comfortable with the pitch control.Pumping great on it as well.

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
23 Feb 2020 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

I got my kit originally with the 70 and 60 fuse. Early on I kept on the 70, only trying the 60 here and there, but it was a bit tough for me. I guess I wasn't ready at the time, because I recently switched to the 60 and added the Hs tail into the mix. I like it a lot more now. Will be testing out the 50 next session.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
23 Feb 2020 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fatfish96 said..
Are you guys using the 60 cm fuselage or the 70. I bought my kit with the 70 and now am wondering if the 60 will loosen things up a bit. thanks.

Cygnify
QLD, 117 posts
24 Feb 2020 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Is everyone on the 72cm mast? I'm finding these days that I would prefer something slightly longer, but the gap to 85cm seems a bit too big. Love to hear if anyone can compare or let me know what your riding?

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
24 Feb 2020 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

fatfish96
14 posts
25 Feb 2020 3:19AM
Thumbs Up

thanks guys, just placed an order for the 60cm fuse. nervously curious about the change from the 70. will see next week once i get it.

BTW: does anyone put any oil on your screws. someone down at the beach (he doesnt have armstrong) said if you add some oil, you can crank your screws tighter. Just seeing if there was any truth or need.

Hilly: any updates on your tail wing shim mod?

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
25 Feb 2020 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Did a tow-in sesh yesterday on the 1550/232 in about 2-3' non-breaking waves. Imo it makes a great tow setup as it can handle plenty of speed/turns well at speed and you can still pump to connect waves.
Used the 0, might try +1 next time.
@fatfish, no oil or tefgel required for Armstrong foils mate.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
25 Feb 2020 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fatfish96 said..
BTW: does anyone put any oil on your screws. someone down at the beach (he doesnt have armstrong) said if you add some oil, you can crank your screws tighter. Just seeing if there was any truth or need.

Do not use oil or tefgel on Armstrong foils.

Select to expand quote
fatfish96 said..
Hilly: any updates on your tail wing shim mod?

Have not tried it yet but will this weekend

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
25 Feb 2020 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cygnify said..
Is everyone on the 72cm mast? I'm finding these days that I would prefer something slightly longer, but the gap to 85cm seems a bit too big. Love to hear if anyone can compare or let me know what your riding?

I am on 72 but one proner uses the 85 and goes really well on it. Breaches at speed look spectacular

Southby
VIC, 25 posts
25 Feb 2020 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Tried the new 232 tail with the 1550 this morning and loved it. Fast and turns so well and I was using it on my 6'5" Naish not my new 5'11" which is being repaired! Scored two 600m plus rides which I didn't get yesterday in similar conditions. Can't wait to use it on my new board! The tight turns are amazing. Like going from the 1600 to the 1550, I can't see myself ever going back to the standard 300 tail wing. Brilliant!

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
25 Feb 2020 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
Did a tow-in sesh yesterday on the 1550/232 in about 2-3' non-breaking waves. Imo it makes a great tow setup as it can handle plenty of speed/turns well at speed and you can still pump to connect waves.

Hey Toppleover,
How much was the Amos, looks like a great board, let me know how you find the +1 with the 232 and 1550 when you try it

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
25 Feb 2020 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..

toppleover said..

Hey Toppleover,
How much was the Amos, looks like a great board, let me know how you find the +1 with the 232 and 1550 when you try it

Best to give Amos a call mate.
Amos Shapes
Phone 0468 438 991
Off to work tomoz, so no foiling for the next 3 weeks
Super happy I got the 1550 set-up, had it out about 6 times & it just keeps getting better.
Question: disassemble or leave setup ready for when I get back ?

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
25 Feb 2020 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Up to you, I don't disassemble anymore now with the Armstrong ,just a quick spray of fresh water to get the salt off before putting the covers on. It's so much easier.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
25 Feb 2020 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Nice, that's the answer I was hoping for

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
25 Feb 2020 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Up to you, I don't disassemble anymore now with the Armstrong ,just a quick spray of fresh water to get the salt off before putting the covers on. It's so much easier.

Have not washed mine yet
Leave it assembled for months at a time. No rust no corrosion all good.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
25 Feb 2020 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

kobo said..

Have not washed mine yet

Thanks, she's all tucked away ready for when I get back.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
25 Feb 2020 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

3 weeks without foiling the Armstrong ! I would consider euthanasia

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
25 Feb 2020 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
3 weeks without foiling the Armstrong ! I would consider euthanasia

Haha, yep that's the other option

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
25 Feb 2020 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

hilly said..

kobo said..

Have not washed mine yet

Thanks, she's all tucked away ready for when I get back.

Mine just stays bolted to the board no covers in the car ready to go

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
26 Feb 2020 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cygnify said..

Yeah, I'm on the 72 & think it is a good size for in the surf zone, any longer & I'd be scraping the bottom.
85cm would be sweet for tow-in's but

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
27 Feb 2020 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting post found on Instagram showing some behind the scenes R&D. Looks like a rad gullwing high aspect style wing:

www.instagram.com/p/B9B3k8RnZJ7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That has to be so fun working on new wings!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 1550 with 232 tail" started by kobo