Armstrong 2400 for Winging?

Created by MauiPaddler > 9 months ago, 31 Mar 2020
emmafoils
307 posts
7 Dec 2020 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bhc said..
I am still a learner and haven't got enough experience with other foils for a decent comparison so read it with a grain of salt. I am 53 and weigh 76-78kg.
I've had 15-20 sessions with my cf2400 using a 5'10'' (102 litre) board, duotone unit 5m and naish wingsurfer 4m (v1) wings.
With the Unit, I can fly when it's 12+knots with my very bad pumping technique (BTW, I am referring to the weather station not a handheld anemometer). The sweet spot is 14-18 knots. I can survive gusts over 30 knots but not an enjoyable experience with a lot of fluttering.

With the Naish, I went out a couple of times when it was 25knots gusting to 35. Even with the confused chop and shorebreak of Port Phillip Bay it was surprisingly controllable and fun. This foil has great stability, very low stall speed yet quite comfortable when overpowered. I was just sheeting out the wing to manage the gusts and going over the chop upwind as well as coming downwind was quite OK. I think this is an amazing foil to learn and keep for light wind days. With two wings I have an amazing range. I will probably buy an HS1850 or an HS1550 at some stage though.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. For your next foil, I would strongly recommend the 1850 and then the 1250 if you want to go smaller and faster. The 1550 is an appealing number as far as a size for winging but it is a RELATIVE dog compared to the other HS foils.

hilly
WA, 7205 posts
7 Dec 2020 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

emmafoils said..RELATIVE dog compared to the other HS foils.

Only for winging and pumping. Great surf wing for heavyweights.

bhc
VIC, 201 posts
7 Dec 2020 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

bhc said..
I am still a learner and haven't got enough experience with other foils for a decent comparison so read it with a grain of salt. I am 53 and weigh 76-78kg.
I've had 15-20 sessions with my cf2400 using a 5'10'' (102 litre) board, duotone unit 5m and naish wingsurfer 4m (v1) wings.
With the Unit, I can fly when it's 12+knots with my very bad pumping technique (BTW, I am referring to the weather station not a handheld anemometer). The sweet spot is 14-18 knots. I can survive gusts over 30 knots but not an enjoyable experience with a lot of fluttering.

With the Naish, I went out a couple of times when it was 25knots gusting to 35. Even with the confused chop and shorebreak of Port Phillip Bay it was surprisingly controllable and fun. This foil has great stability, very low stall speed yet quite comfortable when overpowered. I was just sheeting out the wing to manage the gusts and going over the chop upwind as well as coming downwind was quite OK. I think this is an amazing foil to learn and keep for light wind days. With two wings I have an amazing range. I will probably buy an HS1850 or an HS1550 at some stage though.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. For your next foil, I would strongly recommend the 1850 and then the 1250 if you want to go smaller and faster. The 1550 is an appealing number as far as a size for winging but it is a RELATIVE dog compared to the other HS foils.

Thank you emmafoils, great advice. Despite the bigger overlap of its range with cf2400, hs1850 appears to have different characteristics and looks like a superior foil to hs1550; it's gonna be my next buy....but still having lots of fun with the cf2400 so not in a hurry.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong 2400 for Winging?" started by MauiPaddler