Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong CF1600 review

Created by hilly > 9 months ago, 13 Jul 2019
hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
13 Jul 2019 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Been riding the Armstrong for over a month now so time to share how it goes. Bit of context - I am an average foiler, been doing it for about 6 to 8 months now, my previous foil was an Axis and I weigh 105 kegs.
What is not to like about the construction and finish of the Armstrong. All first-rate and it comes in a neat bag with padded bags for all the bits.

The bolts holding the one-piece mast on to the board were a bit short so I got some longer ones from bunnings for $5. Titanium plates are nice but a bit fiddley fitting them.

6 screws hold the whole thing together, 2 for the front wing, 2 for the fuse to mast and 2 for the rear wing. Really neat locking system for the front wing and fuse all constructed of carbon and titanium so no corrosion issues.

Fits neatly in the car. No need to pull apart and clean all the time. No fizz bro

The 1600 wing feels about the same as an 82 Axis wing for lift. The set up is noticeably lighter than the Axis, with a bit of flex in the mast compared to the super stiff Axis mast. I feel slightly less stable on the board as the foil reacts to currents underwater more rapidly. Probably due to the lower weight of the foil and the fact that it possibly floats (have not tested it yet).

Feels really reactive on the wave and generates huge speed through turns with the flex helping there I think. To see what is possible go to www.instagram.com/foiltheworld/ Brian Finch and his mates rip. I particular this vid www.instagram.com/p/ByUBATlHhVN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
I am not so good - here is a boring video of me going basically straight. Pretty crap conditions but it gives you the idea.

Really happy with the foil, it feels more back foot surfy than the Axis, which I always felt was really front foot pressure all the time. The Armstrong likes to be turned and pumped to keep up to speed whereas the Axis was happy to keep going with less input.

The best thing is no bloody Tefgel
Only negative is the price

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
13 Jul 2019 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Going good Hilly just need to get that pump going. Agreed that's a beautiful looking foil . Nice review and cool video .

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
13 Jul 2019 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Going good Hilly just need to get that pump going. Agreed that's a beautiful looking foil . Nice review and cool video .

Thanks. I hear you. Struggling with the board I think. Feels big and heavy, 6 10 x 31 @ 9kg plus. Ordered a 6 8 x 29 sub 6kg SMIK cannot wait

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
13 Jul 2019 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Great review Hilly. Thanks.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
13 Jul 2019 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Piros said..

Thanks. I hear you. Struggling with the board I think. Feels big and heavy, 6 10 x 31 @ 9kg plus. Ordered a 6 8 x 29 sub 6kg SMIK cannot wait

Yeah Hilly that's a Biggin , great board to learn on . The smaller Smik will help heaps .

anders884
54 posts
13 Jul 2019 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting. Looks great

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
15 Jul 2019 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Did some destruction testing yesterday stranded standing on the foil on a dry rock then washed through the pinball section with the foil down. Follow up by crashing into a rock at full noise on a wave. Surprised by the lack of damage. The carbon lay up is tough as, previous foil would be at the repair shop now.
Hats off to the Fanatic team as well the boxes are solid.

What I forgot to mention to was the foil is absolutely silent. Hated the humm from my previous foil, which decreased after sanding the trailing edge but never went away totally.

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
15 Jul 2019 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Nice foil Hilly. Looks a little bit African with its Zebra stripes. Probably deter the sharks more than my blue green Neilpryde that looks more like a tasty tuna.
Nice review. Sorry to hear you got beached on the rocks. I did the same when I jumped off mine I was surprised I landed on a sand covered rock platform. It was a nice wave that I wanted to make the most of. My foilboard standing high & dry & the foil wing just under water. Then the water receded dragging the foil backwards over the rocks until I grabbed the leg leash to hold it up to stop any damage. Lucky it just received a few little chips on the sharp trailing edge of the front & back wings.

DWF
565 posts
15 Jul 2019 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
I feel slightly less stable on the board as the foil reacts to currents underwater more rapidly.

My testing says it's mast flex decreasing board stability.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
15 Jul 2019 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DWF said..

hilly said..
I feel slightly less stable on the board as the foil reacts to currents underwater more rapidly.

My testing says it's mast flex decreasing board stability.

Not sure. Axis has a massive solid Ali fuse at the bottom. Has to work like a keel due to the weight.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
16 Jul 2019 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Ok found the limit of the 1600 for wave size today. Got smashed a lot, but some gems in there.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
16 Jul 2019 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Spoke too soon Fanatic boxes sh1t themselves today. So foil 1 board 0.

FoilColorado
132 posts
16 Jul 2019 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Oh no! Failed due to impact? Rolling around in the washing machine? Warranty??? Pics please

FoilColorado
132 posts
16 Jul 2019 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Oh no! Failed due to impact? Rolling around in the washing machine? Warranty??? Pics please

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
17 Jul 2019 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Not a warranty second hand. Nothing to see in a pic they are just loose. Whatever held them internally has let go but the outer layer is intact. Off to repair shop I go.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
17 Jul 2019 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoilColorado said..

No impact just pumping along and started making weird noises.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
18 Jul 2019 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

hilly said..

Piros said..

Yeah Hilly that's a Biggin , great board to learn on . The smaller Smik will help heaps .

New sled on the way yeeoow

Armstrong are bringing out new wings soon. Would put money on them being high aspect.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
4 Aug 2019 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

I've been using my Armstrong 1600 and 2400 foil plate mount for the last few weeks. I've owned Neil Pride, GoFoil and original Naish foils, but the Armstrong are another level again. Not cheap, but worth the cost especially the ability to pack down for travel and the quality of this product. I bought mine from Ozone Surf NZ who were outstanding to deal for cost and service.
Initially I struggled as using the Armstrong with my One 5'10 102 litre board, the solution being moving my back foot at least 100mm/4" further back. This stopped the feeling that the board wanted to always pitch down unlike some foils that require front foot pressure to hold the foil down. I'm using the longer fuselage TC70 being 4" longer than the TC60 that most prone surfers favour for tighter turning. What surprised me was the need to try and chose the right shim for you. These are -2, 0 and +1 degree in titanium and about $80 each. I've settled on the -2 degree with both wings and the foil pops up easily.
The 2400 wing is fairly slow, however the 1600 is quick. I've scratched my wings but they are super tough. The mast doesn't feel like it flexes and the mast top Tnut screw sets are quick and easy to mount the board with. All are torx head in titanium, the travel bag well made but too small for the 2400 wing. The tail, mast, wings and plate mount section of the mast have very good covers the Velcro close. It's worth leaving the mast cover on when tightening the Tnut screws up to stop the torx tool scratching the mast when setting up.
This foil really pumps well, would like to see a 2000 wing soon.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
4 Aug 2019 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jt737 said..
I've been using my Armstrong 1600 and 2400 foil plate mount for the last few weeks. I've owned Neil Pride, GoFoil and original Naish foils, but the Armstrong are another level again. Not cheap, but worth the cost especially the ability to pack down for travel and the quality of this product. I bought mine from Ozone Surf NZ who were outstanding to deal for cost and service.
Initially I struggled as using the Armstrong with my One 5'10 102 litre board, the solution being moving my back foot at least 100mm/4" further back. This stopped the feeling that the board wanted to always pitch down unlike some foils that require front foot pressure to hold the foil down. I'm using the longer fuselage TC70 being 4" longer than the TC60 that most prone surfers favour for tighter turning. What surprised me was the need to try and chose the right shim for you. These are -2, 0 and +1 degree in titanium and about $80 each. I've settled on the -2 degree with both wings and the foil pops up easily.
The 2400 wing is fairly slow, however the 1600 is quick. I've scratched my wings but they are super tough. The mast doesn't feel like it flexes and the mast top Tnut screw sets are quick and easy to mount the board with. All are torx head in titanium, the travel bag well made but too small for the 2400 wing. The tail, mast, wings and plate mount section of the mast have very good covers the Velcro close. It's worth leaving the mast cover on when tightening the Tnut screws up to stop the torx tool scratching the mast when setting up.

Just ordered the 1200 and 2400 to go with my 1600. As you said next level luvin the Armstrong.

2000 HA would be the shizzle

MidAtlanticFoil
671 posts
5 Aug 2019 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

jt737 said..

Just ordered the 1200 and 2400 to go with my 1600. As you said next level luvin the Armstrong.

2000 HA would be the shizzle

(Long time lurker, first time post)

I have been riding the 1200 and 1600 wings for some time now and agree with your observations. At only 65 kgs, the 1600 is too big for me in anything over waist high (works great for dock starts). I've been enjoying the 1200 in waist to head high and it has totally helped my foil game. Not sure if its the wing or more time on the water, but Armstrong is much easier/enjoyable to ride than the v1 Cloud IX foils I was on before.

I've just picked up a SUP and a Slingshot SlingWing, so I'm impatiently waiting on a good wind. Also looking forward to taking the 5'11" Foil Surf Machines @foilsurfmachines board into the surf. I've previously only prone foiled on a 4'10" board, so it should be interesting.

Any more rumors about new wings from Armstrong??

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
6 Aug 2019 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MidAtlanticFoil said..
I've just picked up a SUP and a Slingshot SlingWing, so I'm impatiently waiting on a good wind. Also looking forward to taking the 5'11" Foil Surf Machines @foilsurfmachines board into the surf. I've previously only prone foiled on a 4'10" board, so it should be interesting.

That board sounds interesting do you have pics? Waiting on my Duotone wing, will get it this weekend.

Select to expand quote
MidAtlanticFoil said..
Any more rumors about new wings from Armstrong??

Just off insta comment by AA.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
6 Aug 2019 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

www.instagram.com/p/B00VrtLHg6J/?igshid=9tffct9qu2td

Ripping

MidAtlanticFoil
671 posts
6 Aug 2019 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

That board sounds interesting do you have pics? Waiting on my Duotone wing, will get it this weekend.

Board:

www.instagram.com/p/B0XAGWgn2cu/?igshid=1gyqveeldkdbm

Vid of board:

www.instagram.com/p/B0ZmF7qnSjn/?igshid=g14nzm7h3fd6

I couldn't decide between the Duotone and Slingwing so I ordered both; keeping whichever came first. Slingwing won

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
6 Aug 2019 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MidAtlanticFoil said..

hilly said..

Board:

www.instagram.com/p/B0XAGWgn2cu/?igshid=1gyqveeldkdbm

Vid of board:

www.instagram.com/p/B0ZmF7qnSjn/?igshid=g14nzm7h3fd6

I couldn't decide between the Duotone and Slingwing so I ordered both; keeping whichever came first. Slingwing won

Board looks cool. Nice minty colour with serious bevel.

tomooh
275 posts
7 Aug 2019 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 1200 wing arriving today hopefully and then a 511 board that was for sale on sea breeze here to pick up and try on the Sunshine Coast.
shape Looks a bit like that green board .

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
7 Aug 2019 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

One 5'10x26" 102 litres.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
7 Aug 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Nice setup

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
7 Aug 2019 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jt737 said..
One 5'10x26" 102 litres.

Nice to see a ressed deck, more should have that.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
7 Aug 2019 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Doesn't hold water at all.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
18 Aug 2019 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Got out on the big ass 2400 today. Well that was way better than expected. After having an Axis 102 I was expecting a slow foil that did not turn. This thing turns really well and links up tiny bumps so easily. Stoked

murf
SA, 477 posts
19 Aug 2019 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jt737 said..
One 5'10x26" 102 litres.

Such a good board that 5"10. It is my go to board for everything.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong CF1600 review" started by hilly