Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing

Created by wicka 3 months ago, 21 Nov 2020
Alysum
NSW, 725 posts
28 Jan 2021 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
frenchfoiler said..
Just got the 810 to try. It goes with the BS fuselage, and I have the ultrashort. I was expected this front wing to be thinner, it is not as thin as the 980.

Wingspan : 810mm
Chord : 155 mm
Actal area : 1070 cm2 / 166 in2
Volume : 1284 cm3
Aspect ratio : 6.42

I will let you know what I think, I should be able to ride it soon.

The 980 is incredibly thin! The 810 being the BSC series I would expect it to be thicker but still quite thin.

Looking forward to your review. Prone ?

jatem
8 posts
4 Feb 2021 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

How are these black wings working for prone?
I'm not sure whether to replace my 1010 wing, which is great for small SUP and flatwater pumping. Tempted to get something more turny, but still want good pumping and low stall speed.

flkiter
82 posts
4 Feb 2021 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jatem said..
How are these black wings working for prone?
I'm not sure whether to replace my 1010 wing, which is great for small SUP and flatwater pumping. Tempted to get something more turny, but still want good pumping and low stall speed.

The HPS have great speed, turn and pump but not a very low stall speed like the 1010. The BSC has better carve, great pump with lower stall speed.
I really like the 1050 on crazy short fuselage and 370 rear to sup the small stuff that Florida provides.

Alysum
NSW, 725 posts
6 Feb 2021 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone noticed any differences between the prototypes 980 and the production one which is slightly bigger in cm2 ?

bigmtn
36 posts
6 Feb 2021 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..
Has anyone noticed any differences between the prototypes 980 and the production one which is slightly bigger in cm2 ?

I had a nice talk with the US distributor about this. They made about 80-100 of the V1 980 wing, but during testing they found the other sizes of the HPS series performed a little better in the surf, and they had more rounded wing tips. So they modified the tips of the 980 (V2) to make it better in the surf and more similar to the other sizes. So the more rounded wing tips is where the extra cm2 comes from. The foil section is same in both versions. The guys on the V1 love them and say they are super fast, but the downwind guys say they are really hard to get the V1 wings back up if they come off foil. V2 has better low end lift and is a bit more user friendly in the surf.

I just got a V2, looking forward to giving it a go. Haven't had a chance to ride the V1, but might be able to switch with a guy in the future to see if I notice much difference.

sillsymark
VIC, 61 posts
7 Feb 2021 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

ues i have the 980 and 'b' series fuse. im running a very small tail stab on ultra short fuse and 5"0 fanatic...
ive GPS speed tested the 980 - i cant get speed to anywhere past 34kmph.it doesnt cavitate - just tops out. (no threat of breach or anything) just as fast as i can go on it.
glide is excellent. its up early too.

my previous front wing of choice was my 1000... loved this wing. top speed was a touch slower for me (i could only get 31kmph out of it before cavitation and crash....

the wings feel similar - however the 980 feels fast - it feels keen to leap and feedback through the foil is more direct... you can feel the energy of the lumps you cut through in chop.

im loving the 980 and probably will go the next size down as well... im 80 kgs and 2 years ding ding experience...

hope that helps guys...
go axis ! thanks for the fast wing :)

sillsymark
VIC, 61 posts
7 Feb 2021 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

ues i have the 980 and 'b' series fuse. im running a very small tail stab on ultra short fuse and 5"0 fanatic...
ive GPS speed tested the 980 - i cant get speed to anywhere past 34kmph.it doesnt cavitate - just tops out. (no threat of breach or anything) just as fast as i can go on it.
glide is excellent. its up early too.

my previous front wing of choice was my 1000... loved this wing. top speed was a touch slower for me (i could only get 31kmph out of it before cavitation and crash....

the wings feel similar - however the 980 feels fast - it feels keen to leap and feedback through the foil is more direct... you can feel the energy of the lumps you cut through in chop.

im loving the 980 and probably will go the next size down as well... im 80 kgs and 2 years ding ding experience...

hope that helps guys...
go axis ! thanks for the fast wing :)

frenchfoiler
225 posts
7 Feb 2021 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
frenchfoiler said..
Just got the 810 to try. It goes with the BS fuselage, and I have the ultrashort. I was expected this front wing to be thinner, it is not as thin as the 980.

Wingspan : 810mm
Chord : 155 mm
Actal area : 1070 cm2 / 166 in2
Volume : 1284 cm3
Aspect ratio : 6.42

I will let you know what I think, I should be able to ride it soon.

I friend Martin (really good foiler) tried the 810 with ultra short fus and alu 75cm 16mm mast and 370 stab with prone 4'4.
I guess it would work better with a different stab, maybe the new 420 ?
Martin is used to the 900 so it was interesting to have him on the 810.
He was definetly more comfortable for turning and hitting the whitewash with the 810 than on the 900.

There is his report :

- take off : it has more lift than the 900, but needs more speed right at the beginning to really take off and be comfortable (with the 900 whatever I take off on I can turn and start pumping towards wherever I want).

- speed : it feels like the speed is quite the same, however the acceleration in powerful sections is faster, more stable and more comfortable than on the 900, which helps a lot to prepare maneuvers.

- Maniability : in one hour of testing only I can attest that it turns better and smoother than on the 900. I've never felt comfortable enough to really attack the whitewater with the 900, but during this morning session with the 810 it naturally felt good to attack these tricky sections.

- Pumping : the 810 felt less easy to pump than the 900 but I was still able to make many connections. I think I need to get more used to the wing or take a bigger tailwing to match the 900 pumping abilities but it already felt really satisfying. I can however feel that this wing needs to get out of waves with more speed than the 900 to be efficient on the pumping.

Alysum
NSW, 725 posts
15 Feb 2021 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Loving my HPS880 both on the wing and kite. Incredible glide and speed. Glad I waited for the smaller size after trying the 980 last year for my 77kg.
My mate who prone foils with it swears by it too. Finally Axis makes a foil that doesn't have too much lift. Time to sell off all my S series gear

Camarillo
289 posts
17 Feb 2021 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigmtn said..

Alysum said..

I had a nice talk with the US distributor about this. They made about 80-100 of the V1 980 wing, but during testing they found the other sizes of the HPS series performed a little better in the surf, and they had more rounded wing tips. So they modified the tips of the 980 (V2) to make it better in the surf and more similar to the other sizes. So the more rounded wing tips is where the extra cm2 comes from. The foil section is same in both versions. The guys on the V1 love them and say they are super fast, but the downwind guys say they are really hard to get the V1 wings back up if they come off foil. V2 has better low end lift and is a bit more user friendly in the surf.

I just got a V2, looking forward to giving it a go. Haven't had a chance to ride the V1, but might be able to switch with a guy in the future to see if I notice much difference.

I tried a S980 with 1253 actual/ 1218 projected area, must have been a v1 I guess?
I didn't like it, my S860 turns much nicer , pumps just as good with a lower stall speed and gets flying much easier.
All the foils I like are no more than 920 wide and are low or mid aspect until now I only use the S1010 and S1150 supfoiling when the waves are less than knee high, and I don't like them at all for winging.
But I suppose I will have to try a V2 S980.

Alysum
NSW, 725 posts
18 Feb 2021 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..

bigmtn said..

Alysum said..

I tried a S980 with 1253 actual/ 1218 projected area, must have been a v1 I guess?
I didn't like it, my S860 turns much nicer , pumps just as good with a lower stall speed and gets flying much easier.
All the foils I like are no more than 920 wide and are low or mid aspect until now I only use the S1010 and S1150 supfoiling when the waves are less than knee high, and I don't like them at all for winging.
But I suppose I will have to try a V2 S980.

You are comparing two very different wings. SP860 as the the SP name indicates it, it's a Surf Performance wing which is all about turning/carving hard with the gull shape. They are a LOT thicker than the HPS wings. With HPS you get more glide and speed and at the end of the day it's a personal preference for what is more important to you.

Larry Foiler alternates between his HPS, BSC and SP wings depending on activity, conditions and what he wants to do when you have the luxury to have all the foils.

I didn't think I would enjoy the HPS880 when I kite foiled with it thinking it would be too wide and hard to carve and I ended up enjoying it

Jocko10
2 posts
Saturday , 27 Feb 2021 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Jesus is it just me or is axis is just pumping out way too many options. It's like we are paying lab rats.

Yeah there are a lot of options but you can only use one at a time. I recon 2-3 foils max 1010 glide series and 860 pretty much cover everything.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing" started by wicka