Created by wicka > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2020
Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
10 Mar 2021 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hangloose said..
Winging: changed from last year Slingshot (84, 76) to Axis 84kg
Got during winter PNG1150/460 with short fusselage: disappointing - had "spin-outs", no short turns possible. Ordered 370 and ultrashort fussellage....

Monday I tried my PNG 1150/370 combo with new ultrashort (instead of short) fusselage - perfect loose feeling! thats my optimal 6-5m2, low wind combo (+7kn).
Same day wind picked up (only 11kn!!) and I tried my new HSP 980 first time - 980/460 (ultrashort) combo - extremly fast, did not think it will fly at only 11kn - no problem at all, take up speed with front-foot pressure - pump, release -> up and foiling. interestingly no spinouts with 460 - fits to this setup (cut tips now to 430 to be looser - can report next time)

Happy so far with Axis, but I am looking forward to my already ordered 420 and 380 and the announced BSC970.
Rear-wings are as important, as front wings - changes everything....

My future winging quiver (for 84kg):
Light wind: PNG1150/420/ultrashort
High wind: HSP980/380/ultrashort
Day to day fun: BSC970/370/ultrashort

looking forward to learn about 420/380 experiences....

Wings: 6m, 4m, 3,3m Echo, 5m Unit
Board: 6,3 Fanatic - (ordered: 5,4 Quatro)

My comments, since you are 100% focused on winging it seems:
- Black series fuselage: I prefer the short fuse way more. The ultra short is a wild ride with lots of pulses. For HA fast wings you're best with longer fuselages for stability and especially in light winds.
- High wind: the 980 is too much lift for high winds, go the 880HPS it's insane
- Stabilisers: they are absolutely important, I have the 420 and enjoy it. Compared to the 460 it does not skid which is a bonus. Upturned tips seems to help going upwind a bit better. Looking forward to the 380 as well for high winds.

My current setup is HPS700 (over 25kn), HPS880 (over 18kn), HPS1050 (under 18kn). I love those wings and I think consistency in a quiver is good. Also use the 700&880 for kite foil and one day I'll SUP the 1050 (both with the 390 tail). Never felt like I needed Black ultra-short despite that I have ultra short S series.

hangloose
9 posts
16 Mar 2021 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

hangloose said..
Winging: changed from last year Slingshot (84, 76) to Axis 84kg
Got during winter PNG1150/460 with short fusselage: disappointing - had "spin-outs", no short turns possible. Ordered 370 and ultrashort fussellage....

Monday I tried my PNG 1150/370 combo with new ultrashort (instead of short) fusselage - perfect loose feeling! thats my optimal 6-5m2, low wind combo (+7kn).
Same day wind picked up (only 11kn!!) and I tried my new HSP 980 first time - 980/460 (ultrashort) combo - extremly fast, did not think it will fly at only 11kn - no problem at all, take up speed with front-foot pressure - pump, release -> up and foiling. interestingly no spinouts with 460 - fits to this setup (cut tips now to 430 to be looser - can report next time)

Happy so far with Axis, but I am looking forward to my already ordered 420 and 380 and the announced BSC970.
Rear-wings are as important, as front wings - changes everything....

My future winging quiver (for 84kg):
Light wind: PNG1150/420/ultrashort
High wind: HSP980/380/ultrashort
Day to day fun: BSC970/370/ultrashort

looking forward to learn about 420/380 experiences....

Wings: 6m, 4m, 3,3m Echo, 5m Unit
Board: 6,3 Fanatic - (ordered: 5,4 Quatro)

My comments, since you are 100% focused on winging it seems:
- Black series fuselage: I prefer the short fuse way more. The ultra short is a wild ride with lots of pulses. For HA fast wings you're best with longer fuselages for stability and especially in light winds.
- High wind: the 980 is too much lift for high winds, go the 880HPS it's insane
- Stabilisers: they are absolutely important, I have the 420 and enjoy it. Compared to the 460 it does not skid which is a bonus. Upturned tips seems to help going upwind a bit better. Looking forward to the 380 as well for high winds.

My current setup is HPS700 (over 25kn), HPS880 (over 18kn), HPS1050 (under 18kn). I love those wings and I think consistency in a quiver is good. Also use the 700&880 for kite foil and one day I'll SUP the 1050 (both with the 390 tail). Never felt like I needed Black ultra-short despite that I have ultra short S series.

Yes wing 100% now. Landlocked lakes mostly! Gusty windconditions - short steep waves (max 50-70cm).
980 with 460 ultrashort perfect, - no skidding - cut stabi now down to 430 -> super loose top!
1150 with 460 ultrashort - skidding too often - changed to 370, now perfect - future 420 (not arrived yet).

Interestingly I have to mount both HA-foils in the utmost front position in my US-box - to get comfi-lift (both legs relaxed). I will try now next to shim +1degree - hope I can move foil a little bit back (better for rear-foot position in strap for jumping) - any experience with shim and mast position?

NordRoi
621 posts
4 Apr 2021 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Gee, I agree Axis series are complicated, I went thru 7 pages and still not sure what I need. I contacted them and did not receive a clear answer...they were probably very busy. So for less than 8-12kts winging, the PNG 1150 works? I have 3 goals, pump and wake foil behind my boat. Wingfoil and also prone foil when wind drops.Need 2 max 3 wing$$.BSC series? Only winging the last 2 months. Need one for light wind locally(mostly 8-12kts) and a more wavy foil when I travelling to hunt waves and more wind, about 73kg.
I'm starting to nail my jibe, so not super advanced also.
thanks

flkiter
84 posts
5 Apr 2021 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NordRoi said..
Gee, I agree Axis series are complicated, I went thru 7 pages and still not sure what I need. I contacted them and did not receive a clear answer...they were probably very busy. So for less than 8-12kts winging, the PNG 1150 works? I have 3 goals, pump and wake foil behind my boat. Wingfoil and also prone foil when wind drops.Need 2 max 3 wing$$.BSC series? Only winging the last 2 months. Need one for light wind locally(mostly 8-12kts) and a more wavy foil when I travelling to hunt waves and more wind, about 73kg.
I'm starting to nail my jibe, so not super advanced also.
thanks

I would recommend getting the 1150 with a 370 rear and short or ultra short fuselage. That'll handle the light wind and small waves and then throw on a 1000 for faster winging and carving bigger waves.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
5 Apr 2021 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

The trick with picking the right Axis gear , is to first establish what kind of foiler are you . The reviews are so mixed and confusing. If your are a early Sup foil surfer you'll want want something bigger and more low aspect 1150, 1020 & 920 , advance from that to an intermediate Sup surfer or prone surfer 900 , 910 & 1000. If you start to wing ding all those wings work . Now you have mastered all that it's time to look at the Black series. The 980 is king for all 3 genres . Once you go Black you won't go back . This is where the confusion starts. Carbon mast my opinion best for prone . The 19mm Ali is the best and stiffest on the market for your long mast on Sup & Ding . The Black wing range is amazing . 1050 , 980 , 930 , 890 , 880, 810 & 700 tow wing. If you are a Sup foiler first 980 , 930 & 890 . The 890 is an amazing wingding and great on the prone , if you have your prone game together it's amazing for the wing . The old 900 is still one of my favourite prone and wingding wings . So don't be scared off the smaller wings on windy days for the ding . Fuse length still a fan of the short, rear wing wise around the 370 to 400 rear on all of the above IMHO. So if you are a proner first and ding , drop down a size . If you are a Supper first then the ding just go up a size. If you are a Sup DW go up a size and drop down as you skill improves. Definitely the best wing range available on the market, just filter through the reviews from someone your size , ability & foil genre to make your selection for the best Axis wing for you.

Camarillo
365 posts
5 Apr 2021 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Piros but what about the Broad Spectrum Carve foils?

The 3 bigger BSC foils are on the red fuse, the rest is on the black.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
5 Apr 2021 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Haven't had a chance to try those

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
6 Apr 2021 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
The trick with picking the right Axis gear , is to first establish what kind of foiler are you . The reviews are so mixed and confusing. If your are a early Sup foil surfer you'll want want something bigger and more low aspect 1150, 1020 & 920 , advance from that to an intermediate Sup surfer or prone surfer 900 , 910 & 1000. If you start to wing ding all those wings work . Now you have mastered all that it's time to look at the Black series. The 980 is king for all 3 genres . Once you go Black you won't go back . This is where the confusion starts. Carbon mast my opinion best for prone . The 19mm Ali is the best and stiffest on the market for your long mast on Sup & Ding . The Black wing range is amazing . 1050 , 980 , 930 , 890 , 880, 810 & 700 tow wing. If you are a Sup foiler first 980 , 930 & 890 . The 890 is an amazing wingding and great on the prone , if you have your prone game together it's amazing for the wing . The old 900 is still one of my favourite prone and wingding wings . So don't be scared off the smaller wings on windy days for the ding . Fuse length still a fan of the short, rear wing wise around the 370 to 400 rear on all of the above IMHO. So if you are a proner first and ding , drop down a size . If you are a Supper first then the ding just go up a size. If you are a Sup DW go up a size and drop down as you skill improves. Definitely the best wing range available on the market, just filter through the reviews from someone your size , ability & foil genre to make your selection for the best Axis wing for you.

Not a bad summary...

I keep telling people who are learning to wing to start on the 920, then a 900/100. Plenty of them going for cheap at the moment. 390 has been my favourite tail (pre black) as it's so user friendly and locks you in when carving hard.

Now I'm 100% on HPS black series with the 420 tail (best Axis tail). Axis are currently one of the best and fastest foil on the market at the moment, other wingers can't keep up with me

The Axis Foil Riders Facebook group I created is a good place to help clear confusion and Adrian even replies there sometimes.

bigmtn
51 posts
7 Apr 2021 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

I'm 75kg, I proned with the 900, 390 tail for prob a year, loved it. I've since switched to the black fuse(ultrashort) and have a 3 foil quiver.
980 for downwinding/downwinging/small waves prone/light wind winging
810 for prone/winging in waves
700 for tow/winging in strong wind with bigger waves

been using a kane tail with all of them, but may go back to one of the stock axis tails for the 700 when winging.

Hdip
384 posts
7 Apr 2021 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, How's the KDMaui tail going? Which AXIS tail would you say it's like?

Have you chopped a 370 yet? That's all the rage out here in LA right now.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
7 Apr 2021 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

No need for a Kane tail on axis, they have enough tails chop shop a 460 or use the 420. The smaller version 380 should be the gold.

jatem
13 posts
7 Apr 2021 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

How does the 980 flat water pump / dock start compared to the 1010?

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
8 Apr 2021 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jatem said..

I haven't seen anyone dock start with either of those. The 980 would be way too small too, a mate tried and failed.

shaka808
21 posts
12 Apr 2021 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

jatem said..

I haven't seen anyone dock start with either of those. The 980 would be way too small too, a mate tried and failed.

The 980 is a beast, not sure how it's too small to dock start. That said it does have a high stall speed, so more unforgiving compared to the 1010 at low speed. That said it pumps effortlessly and is faster than the 900.
As for tails, the Kane tail is most similar to the 390 with the slight anhedral in the tips. Significantly faster, but the same locked in feel when connecting turns.

Supnorte
262 posts
14 Apr 2021 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jatem said..

The 1010 is a much better wing for dock start pumping, since it has a bigger area and you can pump it at a lower speed. The HPS pumps fast but you need to keep the speed up.
Here's a friend of mine dock starting the 980: fb.watch/4SplzdFbDr/

hangloose
9 posts
27 Apr 2021 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Last week (high winds) my board was taken by wind and rolling over the grassy beach.
My 980 was damaged on one side - had to cut off 2cm (logically both sides) - so mine is now a "940" :-).
The stab 460 I already cut down to 420 (was much better).

The "new 950" has now unbelievable better manoeverability - now I fell 110% in love with this foil.

Chasing Bumps
QLD, 27 posts
28 Apr 2021 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Why the hell does anyone rate a foil by dock starting? Is that even a sport?This forum is being taken over by flat water pumpers and needs to be taken back

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
28 Apr 2021 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chasing Bumps said..
Why the hell does anyone rate a foil by dock starting? Is that even a sport?This forum is being taken over by flat water pumpers and needs to be taken back

Still can't do it hey!!

Chasing Bumps
QLD, 27 posts
28 Apr 2021 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..

Chasing Bumps said..

Still can't do it hey!!

Ha
if you don't try you'll never fail...

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
14 Aug 2021 3:04AM
Thumbs Up

Have the HPS930 (Ultrashort, Kane tail, Pedigo 4'4" prone board) for about two weeks now and in a variety of conditions with prone and kite. Advanced foiler, 75kg.

Very nice wing, fast and smooth, super reactive w/great speed gains through the turn, very fun for roundhouses on waves. Handles tip breaches well. Pumps great and glides excellent, once up on foil can actually go quite slow before stalling.

Takeoff speed is moderate and requires for me at least 2.3ft @4sec on the buoy which is to say NOT MUCH! However with 1010 or 1150 with the right skill I can literally ollie up from ANY breaking wave onto foil and fly at a walking pace.

I live in central Florida so the surf is about 75% shin to thigh high ultra weakness, 20% waist high, and 5% actually quality shortboard surf.

jimmysturn
WA, 4 posts
4 Sep 2021 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

Just when you think you worked out what foiler you are...? You start the prone Journey...I have a tip of yours from a podcast in the back of my mind "get the back foot on the tail"!

Have loved tearing up on my SUP surfing on the UltShrt Red 860S 390Gap. The missing element is pumping all the way back out, any thoughts/tips?

Hoping you might have tried the BSC wings now Piros? Ive pulled the trigger on a UltShrt black fuse and 890 BSC. Best tail for stability and pump for prone?

Finally shim shim shim? Anyone got a simplified breakdown on what changes you get on adding one on the BFuse?

*90kg
Also have 420 rear but thinking this is the wrong one for the above foiling disciplines and needs.

Cheers rippers!

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
4 Sep 2021 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

400 is the pumping tail for prone. 420 is more for winging with the tips helping for stability at speed.

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
5 Sep 2021 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Axis 930 experience please, I am 76kg mostly lake wind swells for 15kn to 30 kn wind plus for Windwing.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
6 Sep 2021 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
Axis 930 experience please, I am 76kg mostly lake wind swells for 15kn to 30 kn wind plus for Windwing.

Go for the HPS 830. It's a refined version of the initial HPS release, turns great in waves and is very fast

Rosscoe
VIC, 505 posts
7 Sep 2021 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have been winging the BSC 890, with the 380 rear, for a couple of weeks now. Because of lockdown here in Melbourne all sessions have been on the Bay in some ok, but v short-period, waves. We've had some nuking northerlies recently, so mainly in strong, gusty winds (15 - 40+ knots). It's a great set-up. Good glide, reasonable speed (not as fast as the HPS series, but still good), and great on the short-period waves we get in the Bay.
I've been enjoying this foil so much that I have found it less satisfying to go back to my larger foil for lighter winds, so pulled out the plastic and picked up the BSC 1060 today (this is on the red fuse). So I can only give very limited feedback based upon today's short session - in pretty light and flukey winds. First impressions of the 1060 are very good. The ride felt buttery smooth and it is certainly much easier to pump onto foil in the light conditions. I would not have had a hope of being up and riding on the 890 (using a 5m Smik wing). I didn't feel any tendency for it to lift too fast or to breach. It had good glide and felt good on the waves. It may have been because of the wind strength compared to the strong winds in which I have been using the 890, but I ended up having to move my mast forward about 2.5cm from where I have it for the 890 to be comfortable in the footstraps and so that I didn't have to put a lot of back foot pressure through the board.

frenchfoiler
498 posts
8 Sep 2021 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

www.facebook.com/axisfoils/photos/a.170598046867932/918950995365963/

I think Axis should be back in the game with this one.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
8 Sep 2021 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
frenchfoiler said..

Back? They have always been ahead of the game
It's an amazing wing for many uses. That one and the HPS830 are my favourites at the moment.

frenchfoiler
498 posts
8 Sep 2021 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

frenchfoiler said..

Back? They have always been ahead of the game
It's an amazing wing for many uses. That one and the HPS830 are my favourites at the moment.

Well at least back in my game

timmcg89
WA, 24 posts
8 Sep 2021 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimmysturn said..

Piros said..

Piros said..

Just when you think you worked out what foiler you are...? You start the prone Journey...I have a tip of yours from a podcast in the back of my mind "get the back foot on the tail"!

Have loved tearing up on my SUP surfing on the UltShrt Red 860S 390Gap. The missing element is pumping all the way back out, any thoughts/tips?

Hoping you might have tried the BSC wings now Piros? Ive pulled the trigger on a UltShrt black fuse and 890 BSC. Best tail for stability and pump for prone?

Finally shim shim shim? Anyone got a simplified breakdown on what changes you get on adding one on the BFuse?

*90kg
Also have 420 rear but thinking this is the wrong one for the above foiling disciplines and needs.

Cheers rippers!

Iv got a 890 bsc and 400 rear wing. Beginner/Intermediate prone rider at 70kgs who currently is at the 'obsessed with pumping phase" . When I bought it I started my confusing journey with shims.. I used the + which was provided with the rear wing then even started making my own - with credit card. Best advice I got was from piros saying "throw the shims away" and "jam your back foot to the tail" and holy sh!t yesterday I had a breakthrough and was able to pump at speed 200m plus between breaks and rides of 500m. Fully frothed! so grateful there's lots of info to be found on these forums. Cheers!

jimmysturn
WA, 4 posts
16 Sep 2021 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
timmcg89 said..

jimmysturn said..

Piros said..

Piros said..

*90kg

Cheers rippers!

Iv got a 890 bsc and 400 rear wing. Beginner/Intermediate prone rider at 70kgs who currently is at the 'obsessed with pumping phase" . When I bought it I started my confusing journey with shims.. I used the + which was provided with the rear wing then even started making my own - with credit card. Best advice I got was from piros saying "throw the shims away" and "jam your back foot to the tail" and holy sh!t yesterday I had a breakthrough and was able to pump at speed 200m plus between breaks and rides of 500m. Fully frothed! so grateful there's lots of info to be found on these forums. Cheers!

Awesome to hear about the shims and the pumping phase! Early days with the BSC 890 for me and loving how user friendly it is and the pump difference to the 860. Im heavier so I might have to go the 400 rear or even 500 with the bigger chord.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Axis new "B" series foils and 980 front wing" started by wicka