Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Cloud IX F-32 Vs MFC 1400

Created by BurleighFoil > 9 months ago, 1 Jul 2020
Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
25 Sep 2020 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

This will be my last update on the Cloud IX F38. I've done a lot of wing foiling on it over the last few weeks in the river and ocean with the wind ranging from about 10-30+ kts and quite a lot of depowered downwinding. While I've had some fun sessions with it, my conclusion is that it is much more oriented towards sup or prone surf foiling. Staying in the surf zone isn't really my thing so I'll be selling it.

If you'd like a slightly used complete, all carbon (the build quality is beautiful) Cloud IX F38 foil set then pm me for some photos and a price. As far as I know there is no-other available in Australia at the moment.
More details can be found here www.cloud9surffoils.com.au/collections/all

StephenZ
VIC, 71 posts
25 Sep 2020 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..
This will be my last update on the Cloud IX F38. I've done a lot of wing foiling on it over the last few weeks in the river and ocean with the wind ranging from about 10-30+ kts and quite a lot of depowered downwinding. While I've had some fun sessions with it, my conclusion is that it is much more oriented towards sup or prone surf foiling. Staying in the surf zone isn't really my thing so I'll be selling it.

If you'd like a slightly used complete, all carbon (the build quality is beautiful) Cloud IX F38 foil set then pm me for some photos and a price. As far as I know there is no-other available in Australia at the moment.

Piecing things together based on all you've said, as well as my own updated experience, my take on it is the F32 may have been closer to what you were looking for. From my side, I've had a few more sessions on the F38 wingfoiling lately. Whereas the F38 is heaps easier to get up on the foil, once on the foil the F32 pumps so effortlessly and retains speed so well I find it at least as easy and definitely more fun in just about every aspect than the F38. I'm inclined to think that the F38 might have been just a little too much wing for your requirements, and there's only so much that shimming can help with that.

I have to say I haven't quite fallen in love with F38 as much as the F32. Maybe I need to make a few adjustments and get a bit more time on it, but with the F32 it was an instant click, it just felt perfect from the beginning. It feels more effortless to initiate turns and holds steady speed and lift and as you bank through the turn, but with the bigger wing I feel like I haven't quite figured this out.

I see the F32 becoming my goto for anything upwards of the 17-18 knot level, and using the F38 when there's less wind and I'm a little less confident about being able to get on the foil. In the future as I get more competent on the wing, I may be tempted to try out the F28 - the surf foilers seem to be pumping that endlessly and effortlessly around the park and don't seem to be needing anything bigger.

Anyway that's just current view, will probably change as I progress. Summer's on it's way, restrictions are being lifted, hoping to get a lot of time on the water.

Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
26 Sep 2020 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
StephenZ said..

Stingersup said..

Piecing things together based on all you've said, as well as my own updated experience, my take on it is the F32 may have been closer to what you were looking for. From my side, I've had a few more sessions on the F38 wingfoiling lately. Whereas the F38 is heaps easier to get up on the foil, once on the foil the F32 pumps so effortlessly and retains speed so well I find it at least as easy and definitely more fun in just about every aspect than the F38. I'm inclined to think that the F38 might have been just a little too much wing for your requirements, and there's only so much that shimming can help with that.

I have to say I haven't quite fallen in love with F38 as much as the F32. Maybe I need to make a few adjustments and get a bit more time on it, but with the F32 it was an instant click, it just felt perfect from the beginning. It feels more effortless to initiate turns and holds steady speed and lift and as you bank through the turn, but with the bigger wing I feel like I haven't quite figured this out.

I see the F32 becoming my goto for anything upwards of the 17-18 knot level, and using the F38 when there's less wind and I'm a little less confident about being able to get on the foil. In the future as I get more competent on the wing, I may be tempted to try out the F28 - the surf foilers seem to be pumping that endlessly and effortlessly around the park and don't seem to be needing anything bigger.

Anyway that's just current view, will probably change as I progress. Summer's on it's way, restrictions are being lifted, hoping to get a lot of time on the water.

Thanks for the input stephenz.

I suspect you're right about the f32 and f28 being more suitable.

I can't see any problem getting up and wing foiling with these smaller sizes as the low speed lift of the f38 is amazing. It just wants to get up on the foil and fly. That's why I think it would excel in small surf days. I've also had this foil absolutely bombing along on ocean swells without wanting to breach. Initially I found the wider span noticeable as well and found I had to stagger my stance a bit more to keep better roll control. As previously mentioned the way it handles during tip breaches is reassuring. You hear the breach, feel a slight vibration and just keep on riding like it never happened. I also found that the more aggressively you ride it the more it rewards you. There was a time I went into a turn waaay over committed to the inside, the foil just grabbed and spat me out going in the opposite direction as though it was no big deal and me trying to look as though I meant it.

So while it's a good foil and the build of it is outstanding I found that my older foils were more suited to how I like to ride.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Cloud IX F-32 Vs MFC 1400" started by BurleighFoil