Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

GOFOIL Maliko 280 utility

Created by Filow > 9 months ago, 7 Mar 2019
Filow
225 posts
7 Mar 2019 2:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys !

I weight 65kg and I am planning to use my foil in light wind. I am wondering if the Maliko 280 will really help me. I have a Maliko 200 do you think it is useful to add a 280 in order to foil downwind in very light condition or with a little Kite and my Sup in light winds ?

Gofoil Australia
NSW, 75 posts
7 Mar 2019 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Filow, yes the M280 will definitely help you get the lift you need in light winds & will especially help you learn the technique if you haven't already... You aren't very heavy so you'll definitely use the M200 more when you get better at downwinding or in stronger wind conditions...
I use the M280 for lake runs as the swell isn't very powerful or for very light days & then use the M200 in the ocean...(I'm 80kg).. Jacko has written previous posts about using the M280 in Australian conditions.... Hope this helps

Filow
225 posts
7 Mar 2019 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mate ! Does Using the Kai Rear Wing will help make the best easier to turn ?

Gofoil Australia
NSW, 75 posts
7 Mar 2019 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

You definitely need the maliko tail wing with the M280 as I made the mistake of trying the kai tail wing on one of my first ocean downwinders as my mate had me freaked out about the lift of the M280.... I did manage to get some glides using it but I would have had a lot more joy using the Maliko tail wing as it would have been more balanced... On Maui in strong winds the lighter guys are using the IWA with the Kai for turnability but you really need the skill and the conditions...

Filow
225 posts
7 Mar 2019 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks !

Scotty Mac
SA, 2048 posts
7 Mar 2019 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

I use the 280 all the time but live in bay like conditions and am 92 kg. I found the small Kai tail wing not bad but still prefer the bigger one it's the 280 like Rob said it's more stable. I wish there was a half way size, 280 can feel big at times but I am still not good enough to stay up consistently on the 200.

Gofoil Australia
NSW, 75 posts
8 Mar 2019 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Stay tuned.... More downnwind faster wings to come

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
8 Mar 2019 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Rob, for 80kg beginner what would you recommend the 280 or 200 or something in between which is coming soon?

Scotty Mac
SA, 2048 posts
8 Mar 2019 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Rob,
They want to look at their pricing seriously. I think there are other foils on the market now with equal or better performance at a better price point. I am "loyal to the foil" but might not be" loyal to the go foil" at $1000 for one wing!

Gofoil Australia
NSW, 75 posts
8 Mar 2019 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeg,
Depends on what it is you primarily want to do....Surfing only & pumping back out then the M200 but for downwinding you'll need to learn on the M280 if you haven't done so already but then once you've mastered it & depending on the conditions you would go to the M200...

Fair enough ScottyMac but GoFoil have worked very hard on their pricing & to make them as competitive as possible but like anything you get what you pay for...It is definitely the strongest wing on the market as I've yet to see one break, the worst I've seen is scratches from the reef which can be sanded & re-sprayed plus as well as being so strong they float unlike other brands hence saving you a whole lot of money replacing them.... I checked out a Moses foil this morning that had chips & chunks out of the rear tail that was irreparable...
GoFoil front wings now range from $550-$1100 with Axis sitting in the $700-$800 range & a Moses complete setup (is $2495) equivalent to a GoFoil IWA with 29.5" mast is $1750....
With the way the Aussie dollar is falling we might all be paying a lot more for our foils by next summer :(

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Mar 2019 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Restrictions on production in china, the AUD$ and many other influences will likely move foil prices going into the 2020 Season. But it is important to think quality for your coin.

JB

Scotty Mac
SA, 2048 posts
8 Mar 2019 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

JB, what restrictions?

Filow
225 posts
15 Mar 2019 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

So to sump ! Maliko 280 is a must have for downwinding in light conditions even if your not heavy ?

Filow
225 posts
15 Mar 2019 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

So to sump ! Maliko 280 is a must have for downwinding in light conditions even if your not heavy ?

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
15 Mar 2019 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Filow said..

Yeah at the moment is still helps with the learning curve and learning to go slow is part of this and the 280 is great at going slow. Down side is as you get better the drag of the bigger wings is a killer and can be quite hard work.

I feel over the next year or so things will change for DW and how we are all thinking now will become old school but a bit more time will tell.

Windgenuity
NSW, 610 posts
Site Sponsor
15 Mar 2019 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scotty Mac said..
JB, what restrictions?

OHS has finally arrived. Working with toxins. Extra costs and setup requires larger minimum order quantities. plus many other things making prices rise.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
15 Mar 2019 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..

Filow said..

Yeah at the moment is still helps with the learning curve and learning to go slow is part of this and the 280 is great at going slow. Down side is as you get better the drag of the bigger wings is a killer and can be quite hard work.

I feel over the next year or so things will change for DW and how we are all thinking now will become old school but a bit more time will tell.

Riding with Jimmy yesterday I feel very old and old school! Seriously inspirational riding!

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
15 Mar 2019 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JB said..

paul.j said..

Filow said..

Riding with Jimmy yesterday I feel very old and old school! Seriously inspirational riding!

Haha yeah still alot of changes to be made yet hey!! I would have come out with a foil ages ago if i thought i could keep up with what is going on but i feel we are just getting ready for another big jump in progression!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"GOFOIL Maliko 280 utility" started by Filow