Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Gong 100cm carbon mast, is it rigid or flexy noodle for winging?

Created by omg A week ago, 1 Aug 2020
omg
165 posts
1 Aug 2020 4:40AM
Thumbs Up

Plan B going on as Fanatic foils seem to be on the heavy side, so has anyone tried the Gong Carbon 100cm masts, are they rigid, please? I think I have read somewhere a comment abt them (100cm) being flexy, but cannot find it and my memory, well...

Thanks again!

colas
3942 posts
1 Aug 2020 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

This will not help you much (sorry), but here is what I know:They are rigid. The larger (3cm longer) built-in plate for the board connection and the 3 screws for the wings connections definitely help also. But I never rode one (I have the 70cm), just pushed/pulled on them on the beach.

But are they rigid enough for you (people that have their feet far from the median line stress a lot the masts and will find flex where other people wont feel it), or more/less rigid than another brand? I don't know. As always, they implement a compromise between rigidity / price / drag (thicker is more rigid, but slower), so there will be some flex.

I have tried to find for you some review on the French forums by people having compared it with other brands, but couldn't find one.

Disclaimer: I am a Gong ambassador

omg
165 posts
1 Aug 2020 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Colas for your help, I appreciate you searching for french forums!

I would think the plate and wing connection points are rigid but it's more about the mast flex and torsional flex, and of course hard to measure, more like a subjective thing or if lucky compare it side by side on the beach to another foil setup. I just read somewhere that 100cm is more flexy than Fanatic/Axiss, but don't know if there's any meaningful difference, hence my question.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Gong 100cm carbon mast, is it rigid or flexy noodle for winging?" started by omg