Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

How to get the best performance out of the HS 1550 V2 & setting up the rear shim?:-)

Created by Johndesu > 9 months ago, 1 Dec 2021
Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
1 Dec 2021 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe others have experience regarding the Armstrong HS 1550V2, I have just worked out my mast placement on the tracks and now am happy with the Hs1550v2 on a 60 fuse (V1) & 232 rear & am using the +1 titanium shim, pumping and glide are not bad on a sup but am just wondering if I can go faster with a 0 shim or +2 etc.?, as I appear to be slowing down a bit or is it the tiny swell / wave and my lack of experience that is affecting its performance?;-) thanks :-)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
1 Dec 2021 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..
Maybe others have experience regarding the Armstrong HS 1550V2, I have just worked out my mast placement on the tracks and now am happy with the Hs1550v2 on a 60 fuse (V1) & 232 rear & am using the +1 titanium shim, pumping and glide are not bad on a sup but am just wondering if I can go faster with a 0 shim or +2 etc.?, as I appear to be slowing down a bit or is it the tiny swell / wave and my lack of experience that is affecting its performance?;-) thanks :-)

Old fuse I ran -2 the new one -1. Not into speed I like the extra lift and glide. Still feels fast though and less dippy

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
2 Dec 2021 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Johndesu said..

Old fuse I ran -2 the new one -1. Not into speed I like the extra lift and glide. Still feels fast though and less dippy

So you achieved better glide & pump with the negative shim then a positive one, but did you try the zero shim? I am just wondering if it is possible to have a better set up for super small waves hardly / not even breaking (under 6") & then go back to your / my normal -1 shim set up when it is bigger (over 1ft etc;-) Thanks :-)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
2 Dec 2021 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..

hilly said..

Johndesu said..

So you achieved better glide & pump with the negative shim then a positive one, but did you try the zero shim? I am just wondering if it is possible to have a better set up for super small waves hardly / not even breaking (under 6") & then go back to your / my normal -1 shim set up when it is bigger (over 1ft etc;-) Thanks :-)

Yes you can. 0 gives more lift and glide than +1 so is more suited to small waves.

greg87foil
130 posts
3 Dec 2021 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Johndesu said..

hilly said..

Johndesu said..

Yes you can. 0 gives more lift and glide than +1 so is more suited to small waves.

If we take the technical definition of glide, which is Lift over Drag (L/D), the best glide is achieved by reducing the angle between the front wing and the tail wing. On the old Armstrong fuse that would be using the +1 TTF shim. The 0 TTF shim will slightly increase drag, but will also give a higher down force of the tail, which feels like more lift in the foil for the same mast placement.

If you want the highest possible glide, add more positive shim angle and move the mast forward. This comes at the expense of pitch stability though, but this is usually only a problem when going faster (in bigger waves, or winging). As you get better, you can move the mast forward and add positive shims.

Personally, I like the 1550v2 at 0 or +1 for prone. For winging, I usually leave the shims out which means -1 on the A+ fuse.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
3 Dec 2021 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
greg87foil said..

hilly said..

Johndesu said..

hilly said..

Johndesu said..

If we take the technical definition of glide, which is Lift over Drag (L/D), the best glide is achieved by reducing the angle between the front wing and the tail wing. On the old Armstrong fuse that would be using the +1 TTF shim. The 0 TTF shim will slightly increase drag, but will also give a higher down force of the tail, which feels like more lift in the foil for the same mast placement.

If you want the highest possible glide, add more positive shim angle and move the mast forward. This comes at the expense of pitch stability though, but this is usually only a problem when going faster (in bigger waves, or winging). As you get better, you can move the mast forward and add positive shims.

Personally, I like the 1550v2 at 0 or +1 for prone. For winging, I usually leave the shims out which means -1 on the A+ fuse.

Thanks guys and extra thanks Greg for you perfect explanation just one question regarding achieving a negative shim effect on my V1 fuse as I only have the original 0 & +1 & +2 titanium shims so if I want to make a negative tail effect then what should I do then do you think?:-)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
3 Dec 2021 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Either buy a -2 shim or use washers/plastic under one bolt. PM me if you want a -2 shim I have one I cannot use now.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
25 Jan 2022 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Either buy a -2 shim or use washers/plastic under one bolt. PM me if you want a -2 shim I have one I cannot use now.

Hi Hilly so do you think that the shim set up (0) & (-2) for maximum amount of Glide for the 1550v2 is similar/same set up for the HS1250 to get the most Glide & Pump out of it?:-)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
25 Jan 2022 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..

hilly said..

Hi Hilly so do you think that the shim set up (0) & (-2) for maximum amount of Glide for the 1550v2 is similar/same set up for the HS1250 to get the most Glide & Pump out of it?:-)

Not sure I understand the question totally.
What works for the 1550 will work for the 1250. I found the -2 gave more lift and glide but was slower than 0 or + shims. The main reason I did it was to stop the dippy feel and add a more balanced ride.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
25 Jan 2022 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Johndesu said..

hilly said..

Not sure I understand the question totally.
What works for the 1550 will work for the 1250. I found the -2 gave more lift and glide but was slower than 0 or + shims. The main reason I did it was to stop the dippy feel and add a more balanced ride.

Yes thanks Hilly I want the same as you a more easy stable ride, I thought I wanted more speed but that is not the case anymore as I now know how to ride better & faster:-)

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
25 Jan 2022 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..

hilly said..

The tail Itself has a huge influence on this given all other variables the same.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
26 Jan 2022 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Johndesu said..

hilly said..

The tail Itself has a huge influence on this given all other variables the same.

Hilly can you please explain / what do you mean exactly?:-)

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
26 Jan 2022 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I think I have said enough
the negative shims push the tail down to give a more balanced front foot to back foot feel. For a heavier person the Armie foils can feel a bit soft on the front foot so you have to push down on the back foot more to balance. This characteristic of Armie foils can be good or bad depending on the situation.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
26 Jan 2022 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
I think I have said enough
the negative shims push the tail down to give a more balanced front foot to back foot feel. For a heavier person the Armie foils can feel a bit soft on the front foot so you have to push down on the back foot more to balance. This characteristic of Armie foils can be good or bad depending on the situation.

Yes it is all good no worries Hilly I got it! sorry I meant eppo to explain his comments about the different tail/s:-)

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
26 Jan 2022 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Johndesu said..

hilly said..

eppo can you please explain what you exactly mean about the tail.s?:-)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"How to get the best performance out of the HS 1550 V2 & setting up the rear shim?:-)" started by Johndesu