Created by Dpap > 9 months ago, 16 Feb 2021
BurleighFoil
QLD, 36 posts
23 Aug 2022 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjhjames said..

Hdip said..
Yes, I have the 4'4" JS Black Eagle. It has tail rocker. It takes me two foilmount shims stacked to make the mast angle feel 90 degree's to the deck. I didn't like it at all before the shims. I was riding like I was doing a wheelie everywhere.

Thank you! I have been trying to make sense of this.

I listen to the Bennet podcast, where he says he likes lots of front pressure and with the HA120 he shims the back of the mast plate.

So I tried it and found it horrible, just kept feeling like I was nose diving and constantly had to lift it back up, even when just foiling along.

I have a flat rocker board, so if the JS board has tail rocker, shimming the rear of the mast is just bringing it back to square where the foil was designed to work?

I have played a lot with tails as well. With the lift tail adapter and KD 12" I found it draggy compared to the stock 25. I mainly got the adapter to get the v2 - 150 feeling better to me. Have been playing with shims, (and mast shims which made it worse) still have not any combination with a "that's it" type result.

For the HA120 whilst most of the time have been using the 25 tail, recently I have started using the 32 again. Don't seem to lose much in glide and pump, and particularly when the surf is a bit bigger, I find it less frantic than how the 25 can feel at high speed for my skill set.

So where im at, 170 / 25, 120 / 32, 150 & no idea! I have the old surf 34 tail coming soon as it seems a lot of people are using that on the 150.

Any insights on tail shims on the adapter / KD tail appreciated as anything I have tried is going backwards.

Cheers

I ride the 120/25 with the 32" mast and love it. previously i was riding the Unifoil gear, Hyper 170 and the Hyper 190 primarily with the KD Maui tail (13.5"), 75 cm mast. I found the extra length in the mast beneficial for harder turns and bigger waves, less chance of breaching when doing faster. The 120 needs a slightly higher cadence when pumping out the back and you have to keep the speed up and stay high. Its insane how quickly it gets out to the waves and turns hard, even breaching the tips is fine, doesnt ventilate easily, just keep the flow through the turn and dont panic. I am interested in trying the adapter with the KD maui tail so i can use the lift 120 in smaller days, hoping the KDmaui tail will slow the stall speed a little and increase the pump for the smaller days. I am surprised in the range that i can ride the 120. I am 5'10, 75kg, board is Amos 4'2 35 litres and i ride the Lift 120 in pretty much everything from knee high to overhead and the wing just powers . I am thinking about buying the HA 170 but i want to try the tail adapter before doing that in case that is all i need for the smaller days.

Regarding the JS boards, i used to ride them but the rocker messed with me, i dont see why you should have to shim in order to bring the wing back to level. its not a surfboard, why does it need a rocker??? Stoked with the Amos boards, flat bottom near the mast and very stiff so all the feedback goes straight into the foil.

If anyone has tried the Lift 120 with the KD maui tail (13.5") i would be interested to know your thoughts. do you suggest the short or long adapter? how do they compare to the Lift tail section ie which one does the lift tail compare better to, the short or long adapter?

thanks

Camarillo
365 posts
23 Aug 2022 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

How does the 200HA compare to the Kujira 1210?
They have more or less the same span 940/935) and the 200HA has some more surface.
I am an 85kg/190 lbs Supfoiler looking for a foil that pumps a bit better than the 1210 in small , slow waves.
The Kujira1440 is a bit too wide for my taste

Velocicraptor
528 posts
23 Aug 2022 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..
How does the 200HA compare to the Kujira 1210?
They have more or less the same span 940/935) and the 200HA has some more surface.
I am an 85kg/190 lbs Supfoiler looking for a foil that pumps a bit better than the 1210 in small , slow waves.
The Kujira1440 is a bit too wide for my taste

I rode the 200HA for a year, and am now on the Kujira 1095 and 1400. Unfortunately I don't have experience with the 1210. What I can tell you is that the 200HA is a very easy foil to ride - much easier than the Kujiras, but it doesn't have the same glide efficiency and I find that its turning radius is limited, where the Kujiras can flexibly carve tight or wide radius turns. The 1400 and 200 HA are both good at pumping. I feel like the 1400 is easier to pump out of a hole (you can save a stall), vs the 200 which you need to keep moving.

Sorry - not exactly an answer to your question, but maybe there is some relevance in the comparisons.

bjhjames
QLD, 173 posts
24 Aug 2022 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BurleighFoil said..

bjhjames said..

Hdip said..
Yes, I have the 4'4" JS Black Eagle. It has tail rocker. It takes me two foilmount shims stacked to make the mast angle feel 90 degree's to the deck. I didn't like it at all before the shims. I was riding like I was doing a wheelie everywhere.

I listen to the Bennet podcast, where he says he likes lots of front pressure and with the HA120 he shims the back of the mast plate.

So I tried it and found it horrible, just kept feeling like I was nose diving and constantly had to lift it back up, even when just foiling along.

I have a flat rocker board, so if the JS board has tail rocker, shimming the rear of the mast is just bringing it back to square where the foil was designed to work?

I have played a lot with tails as well. With the lift tail adapter and KD 12" I found it draggy compared to the stock 25. I mainly got the adapter to get the v2 - 150 feeling better to me. Have been playing with shims, (and mast shims which made it worse) still have not any combination with a "that's it" type result.

For the HA120 whilst most of the time have been using the 25 tail, recently I have started using the 32 again. Don't seem to lose much in glide and pump, and particularly when the surf is a bit bigger, I find it less frantic than how the 25 can feel at high speed for my skill set.

So where im at, 170 / 25, 120 / 32, 150 & no idea! I have the old surf 34 tail coming soon as it seems a lot of people are using that on the 150.

Any insights on tail shims on the adapter / KD tail appreciated as anything I have tried is going backwards.

Cheers

I ride the 120/25 with the 32" mast and love it. previously i was riding the Unifoil gear, Hyper 170 and the Hyper 190 primarily with the KD Maui tail (13.5"), 75 cm mast. I found the extra length in the mast beneficial for harder turns and bigger waves, less chance of breaching when doing faster. The 120 needs a slightly higher cadence when pumping out the back and you have to keep the speed up and stay high. Its insane how quickly it gets out to the waves and turns hard, even breaching the tips is fine, doesnt ventilate easily, just keep the flow through the turn and dont panic. I am interested in trying the adapter with the KD maui tail so i can use the lift 120 in smaller days, hoping the KDmaui tail will slow the stall speed a little and increase the pump for the smaller days. I am surprised in the range that i can ride the 120. I am 5'10, 75kg, board is Amos 4'2 35 litres and i ride the Lift 120 in pretty much everything from knee high to overhead and the wing just powers . I am thinking about buying the HA 170 but i want to try the tail adapter before doing that in case that is all i need for the smaller days.

Regarding the JS boards, i used to ride them but the rocker messed with me, i dont see why you should have to shim in order to bring the wing back to level. its not a surfboard, why does it need a rocker??? Stoked with the Amos boards, flat bottom near the mast and very stiff so all the feedback goes straight into the foil.

If anyone has tried the Lift 120 with the KD maui tail (13.5") i would be interested to know your thoughts. do you suggest the short or long adapter? how do they compare to the Lift tail section ie which one does the lift tail compare better to, the short or long adapter?

thanks

My 2 cents ... but the consensus seems to be if you want to lower stall speed and improve pump on the 120, foilparts short fuse, longest position, KD Maui boomerang and .05 shim for surf. (Long fuse for downwind). You can preety much pump away from a complete stall with that set up.

The 13.5 tail will be slightly better than the stock say 32 Glide, with stall speed, but main benefit is more control at higher speeds.

activechris
NSW, 34 posts
24 Aug 2022 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Yes the boomorgang on the 120 on the smaller days feels like the stall speed of the 170 it blew my mind when I first tried it but, it does gets scketchy at speed on the bigger days so I use the kajura 178 tail instead. I don't really love the 120 on the bigger days anyway as even though it's a fast foil it just ends up getting too lock in at speed. I much prefer the 150surf once it's shoulder high and above. They really need a 125/130 surf as the 100surf is just too small for me!! I just find the sizing in the lifts a little random.

Main
QLD, 2325 posts
24 Aug 2022 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BurleighFoil said..

bjhjames said..

Hdip said..

Cheers

thanks

The Lift 120 with the KD Maui tail wont help you with all the dropins you attract !

bjhjames
QLD, 173 posts
24 Aug 2022 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
activechris said..
Yes the boomorgang on the 120 on the smaller days feels like the stall speed of the 170 it blew my mind when I first tried it but, it does gets scketchy at speed on the bigger days so I use the kajura 178 tail instead. I don't really love the 120 on the bigger days anyway as even though it's a fast foil it just ends up getting too lock in at speed. I much prefer the 150surf once it's shoulder high and above. They really need a 125/130 surf as the 100surf is just too small for me!! I just find the sizing in the lifts a little random.

Yep, agreed on all above. I find the long adapter helps with the boomerang when it's getting sizey. It doesn't get skatey and pitchy like the stock 25 does at higher speeds. But yep, the 150 is better when its bigger or the water is turbulent. I find it a much easier wing to be towed on too. Still whenever I put the 150 on, after a few waves, I wish I was on the 120. For me its just more fun.

Now if they could only combine the glide, pump and efficiency of the 120, with the forgiveness of the 150 .... or I could just learn to be a better foiler and ride the 120 the way the good guys can. ;-)

Hdip
384 posts
24 Aug 2022 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

bjhjames said..

glide and efficiency of the 120, with the forgiveness of the 150 ..

*cough* ha90 *cough*

bjhjames
QLD, 173 posts
24 Aug 2022 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hdip said..

bjhjames said..

glide and efficiency of the 120, with the forgiveness of the 150 ..

*cough* ha90 *cough*

Yeah, got the 90, speedy, can pump it ... it is fun ... but takes big effort .... the 120 is so much easier.

Linking waves on the 90 for me is possible ... but I need a 10 minute recovery to bring my heart rate down.

Being old has its good and bad, I am retired, can foil all day every day,... downside .. wings like the 90 kill me.

JonnieTyler
20 posts
26 Aug 2022 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BurleighFoil said..

thanks

The Lift 25 Glide tail is the same length as the Foilparts short adapter, longest position. With the short adapter and 13.5" KD Tail, I lost pump efficiency compared to the Lift 25 tail. With the short adapter, I prefer the KD Blunt tail in the middle position. The Blunt tail pumps a little better than the Lift 25, turns feel similar. The KD tails are more durable than the Lift tails. I have cracked my Lift 25 tail.

With the Lift 120, my favorite setup is the Foilparts LONG adapter, and KD Boomerang tail. Boomerang tail has the best pumping efficiency, turning radius not as tight as the Lift 25 tail, but close enough for me.

When I tried the Boomerang tail with the short adapter, the setup felt too unstable and I was blowing too many takeoffs.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Lift foils 2021" started by Dpap