Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Moses 633

Created by scubaste > 9 months ago, 26 Jun 2018
scubaste
WA, 210 posts
26 Jun 2018 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hello again
Just looking into moses 633 has anyone tried one of these?
Just looking for any feed back.
Piros you must of been on one?
Cheers
Scuba

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
27 Jun 2018 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

No haven't tried that one but good Italian pedigree. Fairly high aspect bit of gear and decent price tag for something that has an Ali fuselage.
For apx same money you get the New Naish set up , which is top of the list for me at the moment. Plenty of stuff about to be released next few months but right now I would recommend the proven brand over something new.

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
27 Jun 2018 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

The proven brand over something new.
which is which

scubaste
WA, 210 posts
27 Jun 2018 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Piros
What did you like about the Naish ?
I love the quick connect to the board thats gold.
Just not that keen on Ali mast.....
How's the quality of the new Naish.?
Cheers
Scuba

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
27 Jun 2018 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RAL INN said..
which is which

I'm just saying is there is no videos of the Moses paddling into waves and you can't demo it , so you are safer (for now) just buying something you have seen work. Any new upgrades like on the Naish you know will work , it's aproven foil same goes for Gofoil who are also bringing out a longer stiffer mast BUT not yet available like all the other brand up grades that's why I said go with the Naish for now. .

Scuba I haven't ridden the new Naish gear , carbon mast , much lighter wings , new XL wings & quick adaptor plate but only only heard positive feedback from plenty of people. The only minus was the new carbon mast is thicker and maybe a touch slower but only heard that from one guy.

colas
4986 posts
27 Jun 2018 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
The only minus was the new carbon mast is thicker and maybe a touch slower but only heard that from one guy.

But it makes sense, big wings being slower anyways.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
28 Jun 2018 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

RAL INN said..
which is which

I'm just saying is there is no videos of the Moses paddling into waves and you can't demo it , so you are safer (for now) just buying something you have seen work. Any new upgrades like on the Naish you know will work , it's aproven foil same goes for Gofoil who are also bringing out a longer stiffer mast BUT not yet available like all the other brand up grades that's why I said go with the Naish for now. .

Scuba I haven't ridden the new Naish gear , carbon mast , much lighter wings , new XL wings & quick adaptor plate but only only heard positive feedback from plenty of people. The only minus was the new carbon mast is thicker and maybe a touch slower but only heard that from one guy.

Piros is up on most of the new tech from Naish, but I think I'd chime in on the Carbon mast. The top of the mast is thicker than the base to accomodate the interchangeable plate/Abracadabra/Tuttle or Deep Tuttle mounts. Being Alloy into Carbon, the Naish Engineers had to work hard to make a seemless, tough and durable union here, and it looks first class, but it is at the cost of a little thickness at the very top. It's hard to say if it's tangible to call any extra drag due to this as it's a longer mast than the 55cm but short than the 70cm (in alloy), but it does give a different feel for sure. Some still prefer the alloy (like Matt Levings), some undecided like myself.

Thanks Piros,

Ride safe,

JB

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
28 Jun 2018 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Seeing as I would credit Moses with being into foiling a number of years more than Naish. Plus rate them has holding a good degree of credibility in the foiling industry.
being that little bit careful of giving comparisons between two foils with no experience of one is of little help.
for sure give your opinions on gear you are experienced with, but leave out the assumptions.

I also think that those mixing Carbon with Aluminium are on a slippery slope to disaster.
its not just about insulating the two but keeping them out of the same Solution( sea water).
Its standard Physics.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
28 Jun 2018 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Rail Inn where have I given an asumption on the Moses ? I said I haven't seen it or seen any footage of it on a wave , plus a bit of a loose call by you saying the carbon / Ali combo is a slippery slope to disaster when kite & wind foil manufacturers have been doing it for years plus a handful of Sup foil manufacturers for the past couple of years with great success. Plus you do realise the Moses 633 has an Aluminium fuselage .

No doubt the Moses is a nicely built foil from good pedigree as I previously mentioned , let's see some video action of it in waves or hear from riders. If you know of any on the Gold Coast I'm happy to give it a test.

RAL INN
VIC, 2880 posts
28 Jun 2018 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
No haven't tried that one but good Italian pedigree. Fairly high aspect bit of gear and decent price tag for something that has an Ali fuselage.
For apx same money you get the New Naish set up , which is top of the list for me at the moment. Plenty of stuff about to be released next few months but right now I would recommend the proven brand over something new.

Sorry piros but I read that as you recommending one brand over another without any knowledge of one of those brands products.
So my comments were directed at that "recommendation ", not siding with any brand.

I enjoy reading your opinions and reviews. I don't enjoy people offering opinions on foils and gear they have Zero, or insufficient experience with.

As for the corrosion problem of mixing Carbon with Alloy.
Yes some companies are doing it. And in my opinion, this is to do with balancing cost with the marketing benefit of Carbon.
And already there are reports in of serious Galvanic corrosion occurring, some with 3hrs of use.
Of all the materials to mix together, when it comes to galvanic corrosion, Carbon and Aluminium are about the worst.
No amount of Marketing BS and wishful thinking will stop the laws of Physics.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
28 Jun 2018 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

All good re the galvanic chart reactions what Cabrhina have done is use titanium screws & bolts plus Neil Pryde have brass coated theirs . This has greatly narrowed the gap on disimliar metals.My Cabrhina Double Agent is over 3 years old and stays together for months and I never have an issue pulling it apart , of course I use anti seize grease as well.

benmj
VIC, 71 posts
13 Jul 2018 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

HI Guys
I am the Moses Australia dealer.
Thought I would chime in with some info.
The 633 is a great wing, it has great lift and speed for its size.
Feedback from all that have used it say that its very smooth and they dont feel it max out in terms of speed.
The wing is for SUP surf and prone surf.
The wing is on the small side when compared to some other wings on the market.
So for SUP if you are over 75kg and keen to surf small swells on your SUP then the wing is maybe too small, you would be better of on the larger wing that hits our shores later this month. This wing fits on the same fuse and uses the same back wing.
The 683 is smaller and Higher aspect and thinner, its faster and better for bigger waves.
With regard to the Ali - Carbon.
Having made foils myself I can say that the fuselage is the only place carbon is not so great. Costs aside it is not so great in tail first groundings and providing thread for fixings is a nightmare.
So the solution as you know is anodised Ali with a surface protector of some sort. In 2 years of importing these foils I have not had an issue. If one was to arise I would swap out the fuselage straight away.
The new big wing tests well so I cant wait to get out in the Aussie waters.
Always happy to chat
Ben M-J

stevet73
NSW, 239 posts
13 Jul 2018 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Can't comment on anything but what I've used (slingshot h4...now 'last years' technically) but Re: aluminum and carbon.

Carbon would be delightful but for $500+ extra it is not financially feasible for some of us. Corrosion does/can appear but if u put in a reasonable effort on maintenance it has been fine.

And the weight is completely doable....has been perfectly fine to get to current learning curve. Just had session 24....did my biggest cutback, had my longest ride and worked out pumping......all on a 'heavy & corroding', carbon/aluminum rig....

......frothing....

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
14 Jul 2018 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a Moses second hand $1,600 in the kite section , it's actually the Sup / Surf model.

www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Foil-and-Race+boards/~-2z-t/Moses-Foil-Package-Surf-61-Pump-60-cm.aspx?_page=1&search=p%2FeVEIELGOY38OJR4wnDzg%3D%3D

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Moses 633" started by scubaste