Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Naish Hover 95 or 110 for Winging

Created by MauiPaddler > 9 months ago, 23 Feb 2020
MauiPaddler
7 posts
23 Feb 2020 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to be downsizing my current wing foiling board - a Takuma BX Hybrid 7'10" x 30" at 138liters. I'm looking for a board that I can knee start comfortably on, but that will still pop up onto foil in 8-10mph of wind. Has anyone ridden the 2020 Naish Hover 95 or 110 boards? I'm leaning specifically towards the 95 because I weigh 75kg.

Does anyone have input on the two construction types - Carbon Sandwich & Carbon Ultra? It would be great to know the weight of the 95 in both of these constructions, to see if the weight savings is worth the trade-off in durability.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
26 Feb 2020 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

I am 105kg and I can comfortably knee start on the 110 litre. You should be fine knee starting on a 95 litre with a little practice.

Southby
VIC, 25 posts
26 Feb 2020 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

A friend used the 95lt Naish for his wing and he would be over 85kg. He upgraded to the new 6'3" Fanatic but wishes he had stayed with the 95 Naish.
I thought you could only get the 95Lt in carbon ultra. I have the 125Lt carbon ultra and it is 7.8kg so would think the 95 would be mid to low 6kg.

paul.j
QLD, 3303 posts
26 Feb 2020 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Does anyone have input on the two construction types - Carbon Sandwich & Carbon Ultra? It would be great to know the weight of the 95 in both of these constructions, to see if the weight savings is worth the trade-off in durability.

Not sure why the carbon board should have less durability than the carbon sandwich as the weights seem quite high if that 7.8kg is accurate that was stated above.
May JB can answer if one is more fragile than the other?

I know for us at ONE this is always one of the biggest questions we get about how much less durability has the lighter carbon board got over our non carbon where as in fact the only real difference is weight and that is it. 95L you would think it would be low 5kg these days for a top end construction, we do 107L and look at 5.5 to 5.9kg approx.

At 75kg I think you would handle the 95L board no worries at all.

Oceanfrother
VIC, 20 posts
26 Feb 2020 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Southby said..
A friend used the 95lt Naish for his wing and he would be over 85kg. He upgraded to the new 6'3" Fanatic but wishes he had stayed with the 95 Naish.
I thought you could only get the 95Lt in carbon ultra. I have the 125Lt carbon ultra and it is 7.8kg so would think the 95 would be mid to low 6kg.

I'm that friend that would be over 85kg . Thanks Mate! 81kg to be precise. I had the non-ultra and it weighed in at 6.3kg so the ultra should be lighter than that. I could easily kneed start it even in really rough conditions. Highly recommend the board.

rmitch
23 posts
13 Mar 2020 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Any more updates or info from someone out there on the weight for the Hover SUP 95 Ultra Carbon? Thanks!

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Mar 2020 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

OK, the Carbon Sandwich is a full sandwich top and bottom. The Carbon Ultra has a wood reinforcement in the stance area.

Here is the two diagrams off the website ( naishfoils.com ) to make it a little clearer.

Carbon Sandwich.

Carbon Ultra.

Basically the Carbon Sandwich does have a little more durability outside of the stance area and the Carbon Ultra is about 400grams lighter +/-.

The outlines on the 110 and 125 change a little with the Carbon Ultra with a slightly more pulled in nose. Thus the Carbon Sandwich is likely a slightly more stable board for starting and Carbon Ultra does have a lightly more aft mid point allowing you to set the board up a little more aggressively and tail bias in you mounting.

I hope this helps a bit.

Ride safe,

JB

tinka
QLD, 76 posts
13 Mar 2020 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Southby said..

i had a 6'3' fanatic and now have a 5'7'carbon ultra 95 Lt,its much better than the fanatic much less swing weight ,i,m 67 kilos and it easy to paddle even in surf stance ,i,m pretty sure it 6.1 kg,and its really tough i have no rail tape on mine and ive had no issues with dings or scratching .

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Naish Hover 95 or 110 for Winging" started by MauiPaddler