Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Sab Foil w940 Impressions

Created by TooMuchEpoxy > 9 months ago, 24 Aug 2021
TooMuchEpoxy
269 posts
24 Aug 2021 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

I built a setup for this wing and it was a total dog, even after extesive tuning. I assumed it was me being to heavy though. I was coming from a naish HA 1240

My buddy who normally rides a lift 170HA (very similar wing) and weighs less than i do got hands on a stock setup and shared those impressions. Maybe this wing just wants to be on a bigger wave(but if your riding a chest high wave why would you want to be on such a large HA wing) I duno, i guess some SabFoil pro can jump on tell us why we're wrong but as far as our conditions(small pump around surf) this is the impression.

Our shared impressions were that it just didn't want to get up to speed, always felt like it wasn't going fast enough and needed to be worked to get it going.

I'm on a Kujira 1210 now and its fantastic (despite the worst construction ive ever seen on the mast/fuse)

Whatever tho, 2 opinions for yall, this wing is a dog, stay away.

LeeD
3939 posts
25 Aug 2021 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm....
Bud at 155 lbs. uses 940 as his main windfoil front wing. He has 2 smaller and 2 bigger.
For wingfoil, he only uses bigger.

TooMuchEpoxy
269 posts
25 Aug 2021 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe solid for windfoil, our impressions were just surfing it.

LeeD
3939 posts
27 Aug 2021 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

More speed.
5' waves have much different speeds depending on where and what swell direction and period.
Long period swells tend to move towards the shore faster than short period wind waves.

TooMuchEpoxy
269 posts
27 Aug 2021 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeeD said..
More speed.
5' waves have much different speeds depending on where and what swell direction and period.
Long period swells tend to move towards the shore faster than short period wind waves.

I know the swell hits different at different spots but its not like i didn't get it up to speed. Had up to speed, decent turns etc, looping 3 a few times even but it always felt like i was fighting it in the pump, it was always anemic, it was never happy. It felt like the lift of a 900 with the drag of a 1400. The kujira swaps that.

If your riding a 5' wave why would you be on an 1100. Get on a proper big wave wing in the 900 range. I guess this is probably killer in hyper specific spots but most of us need more versitality than that.

LeeD
3939 posts
3 Sep 2021 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Best winger in Berkeley...Sunset S, uses 940 when there are windswells to ride, and 1000 for flat water.
Capes, tacks, ducks, all dry on Fanatic 75 liters at 175 lbs.

TooMuchEpoxy
269 posts
4 Sep 2021 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, i don't wing...

The 940 is probably fine for winging but seems like trash for prone.

LeeD
3939 posts
5 Sep 2021 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

I think more speed loosens up any foil.
While I wing using a 1500 sq cm foil, I windfoil with a 600 sq cm foil and 210 stab.
For my limited skills, I windfoil much faster than I wing.
I suspect most tolls have it's usage.

LeeD
3939 posts
5 Sep 2021 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Geeze sorry.....TOOLS.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Sab Foil w940 Impressions" started by TooMuchEpoxy