Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Takuma LoL 1300 & 1600 review

Created by Piros > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2020
Stingersup
WA, 93 posts
30 Jun 2020 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

I must admit I'm now looking at the tips on the standard tail and wondering what would happen if I cut them off. Anyone else want to go first?

sozz
27 posts
30 Jun 2020 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stingersup said..
I must admit I'm now looking at the tips on the standard tail and wondering what would happen if I cut them off. Anyone else want to go first?

The tail is foam cored so you'll need to fix it up with some epoxy if you cut the tips off, definitely makes it looser

Hdip
384 posts
30 Jun 2020 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
exiled said..
wetfeetsports.com in Hawaii has them listed, but I would call them to make sure. They only have the carbon listed for like $50 more than the aluminum, so I don't know what's up there. They are a legit shop though.

I emailed with them. They wouldn't honor the carbon price mistake on the site. They've now updated it. To bad. Should've just ordered it haha.

exiled
362 posts
1 Jul 2020 4:03AM
Thumbs Up

Oh well, its still not an awful price compared to getting it straight from Takuma.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
1 Jul 2020 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hdip said..
Anyone know an online shop that sells the LoL? I'm in the US, but this review has me considering them. I'm on a Lift 200 classic right now and considering switching brands. Axis and LoL Takuma are the front runners.

What's the wingspan on the 1600? The new lift HA wing is 37 inches which kinda freaks me out going so much wider than what I'm riding. I know the Axis 900 which I am considering is basically the same width though.

I'm 6'1" 185# riding a 4'8" prone in the surf.

Lift have just released a whole new range of HA wings

Hwy1North
129 posts
3 Jun 2021 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

I know most of you have moved on to the Kujira, but I'm still flying the 1300 and 1600 foils and enjoying both. My 300 stab gets less use as I use the 270 for prone surfing on both the 1300 and 1600, but now I'm learning wingfoiling and have about 10 days on the 300. There are small cracks around the screw area that bleed salt as it dries. It's gotten worse since I took this photos two sessions ago. Should I sand it down and put a layer of epoxy and carbon? If it were to break, what alternate stabilizer have you found good for wingfoiling with the 1600?

Thanks in advance!

gorgesailor
598 posts
3 Jun 2021 3:55AM
Thumbs Up

I am a beginner too & using the 1600/300 LOL, so can't give good first hand advice on alternates. But if you are in the US contact Chinook, they are handling distribution & have spare back wings...

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
3 Jun 2021 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hwy1North:- Just sand and repair with a layer of carbon , very easy repair. Good news on other wings , Unifoil & Signature rear wings screw straight on . Signature have a great range of rears. I really like the Apex 16" & Sprint 18 " which I chopped to 13" plus the Mach 2 15.5" looks really good. I have changed brands of foils many times but still, always keep these tails in my kit.

Check them out here:- signaturefoilsqld.com.au/product-category/foil-accessories/tail-wing/

Also worth looking at the new Takuma Kujira tails they are really good and work well with the 1600 on the wingfoil.

PeterP
816 posts
4 Jun 2021 3:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..
Hwy1North:- Just sand and repair with a layer of carbon , very easy repair. Good news on other wings , Unifoil & Signature rear wings screw straight on . Signature have a great range of rears. I really like the Apex 16" & Sprint 18 " which I chopped to 13" plus the Mach 2 15.5" looks really good. I have changed brands of foils many times but still, always keep these tails in my kit.

Check them out here:- signaturefoilsqld.com.au/product-category/foil-accessories/tail-wing/

Also worth looking at the new Takuma Kujira tails they are really good and work well with the 1600 on the wingfoil.

I broke my Kujira tailwing - local repair guy fixed it perfectly, no problem. I also bought a Signature 14" Mach 1 KD tail-wing - what a difference in glide and pump for sup-surfing, bolted straight on. Winging, I tend to go back std tail wing, as it has a little more hold and control.

PeterP
816 posts
4 Jun 2021 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PeterP said..

Piros said..

I broke my Kujira tailwing - local repair guy fixed it perfectly, no problem. I also bought a Signature 14" Mach 1 KD tail-wing - what a difference in glide and pump for sup-surfing, bolted straight on. Winging, I tend to go back std tail wing, as it has a little more hold and control.

BTW - Also tried the Mach 2 Signature tail with the 1210 Kujira - didn't work for me, it just added drag without any upsides compared to the Mach 1. I was surprised about this as I have oftentimes felt I improved pumping with bigger tails, especially on the bigger Signature Albratros wings, but I guess the Kujira is different. Kujira is more of a forward glide pump whereas the Albatross is more up down pump, if that makes any sense.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Takuma LoL 1300 & 1600 review" started by Piros