Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Unifoil, 1095, or CF1200?

Created by sparkerdawg > 9 months ago, 16 Jul 2022
sparkerdawg
5 posts
16 Jul 2022 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Evening Gents,

For those trying to get as close to surfing as possible. Where would you buy? Vyper, 1095, or CF1200?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hdip
384 posts
16 Jul 2022 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

The vyper is the best surf foil I've ridden.

FoilAddict
95 posts
16 Jul 2022 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

something fairly flat around 80cm span should do the trick.
My picks would be:
Gofoil rs1000
Lift HA90
Takuma 980 (or wait for the v2)

Gofoil rs1000 is amazing for surf foiling, not the most efficient or fastest foil but its super solid and everyone I know that tried one loves it. It's super forgiving and just has a great "feel". get the 12.5 short tail. if you commit to gofoil and want something bigger, get the rs1150 for a bigger surf wing and PNL185 if you want glide
Lift HA90 is my favorite surf foil for waves over chest high. its like a smaller, more efficient version of the rs1000. I liked the 25 tail. With an aftermarket fuse adapter the takuma 158, KD boomerang and Blunt tails are a step up in performance.
Takuma 980 is the best modern wing I've seen for intermediate progression. out of these 3, this will be the most efficient especially in smaller waves. More anhedral means it isn't as quick rail to rail but offers a more stable, forgiving ride. 178 is good, KD13R is great, Pedigo tail is great. 158 should be great.
980v2 is flatter with dialed down tubercules and less washout. New connection systems that are beefed up from this generation. should ride great. might be worth the wait.

X factor:
Axis Black Fuse foils around 80cm span. Should be sick but I haven't tried them
Vyper should be great, more stable so go for a slightly lower span like the 150
Cabrinha are great, but the gap in span between the 800 and 650 is large. mast is noodly.

Hdip
384 posts
16 Jul 2022 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hdip said..
The vyper is the best surf foil I've ridden.

I can't edit so I will add on to make my post a bit more informative. I own and prefer the lift 150surfv2 over the lift HA 170/120 wings. I prefer to surf the first wave I catch and MAYBE connect a 2nd wave. I weight 170 lbs and am on a 4'6" prone board.

I used to ride AXIS and had a 900, quickly moved on to a 760 to get a surfy feel. AXIS 810 bsc was to much wing for me. I rode the bsc 740 and it was really nice. I was confident to hit white water on my first wave. Very competitive to the lift 150. But I owned the lift already, no need to change. With the new advanced fuse for AXIS. AXIS is a contender in the surf game. I've ridden the 899, but it's more of what you expect from HA wings. more glide, gotta keep it going fast, turns OK, but I was timid to hit white water on it. The best part of the ART 899 is there is so little drag. (I don't like the HPS or PNG lines)

Vyper 150. I got a demo on a vyper 150. (try the 130 also if you can, it's supposed to be real good) I had only been winging for the past couple months. So my prone legs were a bit wobbly. I did touch white water a couple times on my first session. It pumps better than you think it should. (felt similar to the 1 session I had on a 1260 signature gamechanger) It pivots and rolls extremely well. This is why I say it's the best surf wing I've ridden. Is it $2300 better than my lift 150surfv2? Not really. More of a lateral move. Only a bit better.

Lift HA90. I've been eyeing this foil for awhile. Watching Matt Costa on it makes me jealous. I never liked the ha120 though, so I was tentative to buy it. I finally borrowed it from him and caught 5 waves on it. It rolls really well. You feel slightly underfoiled in a good way. It has no drag. The short fuse makes it very controllable in pitch. It has PLENTY of lift. In no way is it to small. This is the foil I bought. It doesn't feel like a lateral move. It feels like a forward move. You can surf it. It pumps well, but you do have to keep up speed. It basically feels like a HA surf wing, which is something I've wanted since I had an AXIS 900 way back when. Plus it's literally tiny, so it's super light.

EDIT: I had a takuma kujira 1210 for winging. It's really fun for winging, but feels like a midlength in the waves. It's happy to go slow, which is ok for long down the line point waves that you want to go for distance on, but it was boring to me in the surf. I rode the 980 once. It did turn better, but the aluminum mast is so wobbly and everything about the setup is sharp.

Can someone get a reedin flight attendant 2 and review it for me? A full system designed by KDMaui. Yes please!

frenchfoiler
498 posts
16 Jul 2022 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

I think it is so hard to answer those questions as it is a matter of what you are looking for, where you ride and how you want to ride.

I don't like surf foil wing, the lack of glide is for me the main problem. The feeling of gliding effortless and efficient pumping is something i don't want to sacrifice. And I think you can learn how to perform on the wave even with bigger span. It is like on a surfboard, guys can rip on wide board such as a fish.

Adam is the perfect exemple, has been ripping so hard on the Kujira 1095 and Cabrinha 1000 (even thought he rips on anything...).

frenchfoiler
498 posts
16 Jul 2022 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

I whish I have tried the Vyper, I didn't want to get it because I was worried about I would loose too much glide. Seems a great wing for powerfull waves and not so good for weak waves.
That is why, the spots you ride matter a lot.

foilstate
129 posts
17 Jul 2022 2:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoilAddict said..
My picks would be:
Gofoil rs1000
Lift HA90

Gofoil rs1000 is amazing for surf foiling, not the most efficient or fastest foil but its super solid and everyone I know that tried one loves it. It's super forgiving and just has a great "feel". get the 12.5 short tail. if you commit to gofoil and want something bigger, get the rs1150 for a bigger surf wing and PNL185 if you want glide
Lift HA90 is my favorite surf foil for waves over chest high. its like a smaller, more efficient version of the rs1000. I liked the 25 tail. With an aftermarket fuse adapter the takuma 158, KD boomerang and Blunt tails are a step up in performance.
Takuma 980 is the best modern wing I've seen for intermediate progression. out of these 3, this will be the most efficient especially in smaller waves. More anhedral means it isn't as quick rail to rail but offers a more stable, forgiving ride. 178 is good, KD13R is great, Pedigo tail is great. 158 should be great.
980v2 is flatter with dialed down tubercules and less washout. New connection systems that are beefed up from this generation. should ride great. might be worth the wait.

X factor:
Cabrinha are great, but the gap in span between the 800 and 650 is large. mast is noodly.

90cm of span can be okay if the waves are not too steep/big, paired with a 85cm racing mast and narrow board to help the banking angle. For true surfing lines 80cm is the go indeed, especially if the waves get steep, but you loose on the pump/glide.
The 980 is great but builds a lot of front foot pressure. Anyone has photos/specs/date of the v2 coming up?

Hwy1North
129 posts
18 Jul 2022 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

My first foil was a Takuma 1300. I was a surfer learning to foil, so naturally I carved hard in the pocket. I then moved on to the 980 and was blown away by the increase in speed and pumping ability. I started using much more of the shoulder and less of the pocket. Then I got a 1095 and pretty much stopped riding the 980 as the 1095 was even faster on the shoulder, faster pumping, a great windwing foil, and much easier on takeoff due to less front lift, and in general, a more back footed foil (surfy.)

-So I've moved away from a foil that rides the pocket well to a "surfy" foil that makes foiling easier and more fun to me in a broad range of conditions. I love watching KD and Skyrama rip the pocket in small waves on ridiculously small boards and foils, but I can't do it. I wanted to emulate Adam Bennets so I tried to purchase the Vyper when it was all hype, but they couldn't deliver product. Now Adam is often seen on the 1095, but when I watch videos of myself, for some reason my lines aren't as "surfy" as his.

mindhoc
NSW, 94 posts
20 Jul 2022 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoilAddict said..
My picks would be:
Gofoil rs1000
Lift HA90

X factor:

efficient as in?

mirza5883
2 posts
26 Jul 2022 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FoilAddict said..

New connection systems means new fuselage?

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
26 Jul 2022 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

mirza5883
2 posts
27 Jul 2022 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like an M8 fuse-to-mast connection! Not sure if wing-to-fuse is changing?

Velocicraptor
528 posts
27 Jul 2022 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mirza5883 said..
Looks like an M8 fuse-to-mast connection! Not sure if wing-to-fuse is changing?

Yes - looks like it. Exactly where my Alu mast immediately failed. The wing still looks m6 so that connection should still be compatible. Looking forward to getting more details. Basically duplicating what the aftermarket retrofitters (stringy) have been doing for the past year.

IMO the Takuma wing designs are the best on the market but the hardware (and construction to a lesser degree) has been laughably bad. If they can beef up the weaknesses they are going to be hard to beat.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
29 Jul 2022 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

The non T bar requires a new dedicated fuselage too.

The strengthening around the plate looks very minimalistic, I hope it's actually strong.... As that's where there's the most stresses and bending.

Curious to see how it is vs the NL mast.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Unifoil, 1095, or CF1200?" started by sparkerdawg