Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Which Armstrong tail for the 1250

Created by kitesupwingfoil > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2021
kitesupwingfoil
33 posts
27 Nov 2021 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I'm transitioning from Axis to Armstrong for prone.
I'm not sure which tail should I get. I pump back usually but connect a wave only 3 times a session, advancing very quickly though.
I want a tail wing that is better for pumping. Turn radius is not a concern. I'm fine with instability as I have a lot of foil experience in other disciplines with unstable foils.

Thanks

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
27 Nov 2021 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

V200 or HA tail when it's available

Cygnify
QLD, 117 posts
27 Nov 2021 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

V-tail is the best pumping tail in the Armstrong line up, and by quite a margin. Also turns beautifully. Bit slower turning "rail to rail" tho then the other tails.

Hope this helps.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
28 Nov 2021 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

The V tail is and it isn't the best pumping tail. Depends. The funny bounce you can get - the quick catch and release can throw your pumping Rhythm off we have found. Rail to rail can also be unpredictable at times. This becomes even more noticeable using HA front wings.
Cutting the tips off has helped this a bit. Just recently I've been on the chopped 232 and whilst it's slower and doesn't pump as well - the stability of the pump is more predictable so I'm finding On a good pump I'm getting more successful link ups. But it does take more effort cardio wise. Weird one.

I'm getting a locally made one - kind of KD maui style (but not exactly the same) and it will be interesting to compare, especially with the HA front wings. Will let crew know. Hopefully get to try the new HA Tail soon. We've been experimenting with different tails/shims a lot - they are more important than I ever thought.

kobo
NSW, 1064 posts
28 Nov 2021 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
The V tail is and it isn't the best pumping tail. Depends. The funny bounce you can get - the quick catch and release can throw your pumping Rhythm off we have found. Rail to rail can also be unpredictable at times. This becomes even more noticeable using HA front wings.
Cutting the tips off has helped this a bit. Just recently I've been on the chopped 232 and whilst it's slower and doesn't pump as well - the stability of the pump is more predictable so I'm finding On a good pump I'm getting more successful link ups. But it does take more effort cardio wise. Weird one.

I'm getting a locally made one - kind of KD maui style (but not exactly the same) and it will be interesting to compare, especially with the HA front wings. Will let crew know. Hopefully get to try the new HA Tail soon. We've been experimenting with different tails/shims a lot - they are more important than I ever thought.

True , but the V is good on the HS range from the 1250 up to 1850 as the bigger HS wings have heaps of stability and you don't notice the flex in the tail with them. HS 1050 and smaller not so and as yoy says the HA range you do notice it.I now use it on everything for prone but not on the wing where I like a stiffer setup

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
29 Nov 2021 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I still notice the sudden pitch/yaw on the V tail - on the HS 1250. But not as much as the 925 granted. Just scored myself a locally made KD maui elliptical type tail with some very interesting negative camber underneath thinning out quite nicely on the trailing edge. The guys got an aeronautical engineering background so will be interesting. Will report back how it goes when this damn back is working again, although Will my son on it this week for feedback.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Which Armstrong tail for the 1250" started by kitesupwingfoil