Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 Stand Sure 8'2" FiberFlex by Simon Anderson

Created by Casso > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2010
Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
16 Sep 2010 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

How good is this little puppy going to go?

8'2" x 28.5" x 4"

I pick it up on the weekend!

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
16 Sep 2010 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Now we're talking.

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
17 Sep 2010 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing a review on this one Casso. Looks good.

milko
NSW, 604 posts
17 Sep 2010 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Be still my beating heart

SupCulture
NSW, 33 posts
18 Sep 2010 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

WOW - Enjoy Casso.

SupCulture
NSW, 33 posts
19 Sep 2010 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

First turns on the Simon Anderson Stand sure Fibreflex.. Seen to go OK Casso?

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
19 Sep 2010 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, it goes OK.

Well actually a bit better than OK ... it goes friggen insane! So much speed, really loose, super stable - it's got everything. I love it.

A full review to come soon - when I get a chance to go right.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
19 Sep 2010 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

Oh yeah, it goes OK.

Well actually a bit better than OK ... it goes friggen insane! So much speed, really loose, super stable - it's got everything. I love it.

Hi Casso

Running it as a quad or thruster?

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
19 Sep 2010 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Hi Casso

Running it as a quad or thruster?

I ran Jerry Lopez SUP thrusters today - they are pretty big but that was fine because it was six foot on the sets.

I've just swapped them out for Futures V2 quads, ready for my next surf.

SupCulture
NSW, 33 posts
19 Sep 2010 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Uploaded a few more from the sequence on our Walkonwater SUP Facebook page

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
20 Sep 2010 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Some more pics of Black Beauty and her custom grip job:

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
20 Sep 2010 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

I always forget to look in this forum - looks sic Casso!! Be good to catch up at the club comp!

How good is the bank in that pic - we had some 2 x overhead barells there on sat.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
20 Sep 2010 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice.. Bring it to the Mambo.

DJ

SUPfool
21 posts
22 Sep 2010 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Casso is this you riding the Fibre Flex on Swellnet, how does it go?

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
22 Sep 2010 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

SUPfool said...

Hey Casso is this you riding the Fibre Flex on Swellnet, how does it go?

Yep, that was me out at my local. The ones that didn't close out were fun. That was my second surf on the Fiber Flex and my first time going right.

How does it go? Really, really good. You can feel the carbon rails loading up on the bottom turn and then ... "ping" ... it flings you out of the turn with so much speed. It is the fastest SUP I have ever ridden. I love it.

SUPfool
21 posts
29 Sep 2010 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Select to expand quote
Casso said...

Oh yeah, it goes OK.

Where's the review Casso.........is it that good that you haven't had time to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)?
I dropped into The SUP Shop (Walk On Water's warehouse in Mona Vale) and they said that they have a couple of their stock boards coming in Fibre Flex, a 9'0 version of Simon's 9'6 RDP and Luke's 8'8 and 9'2. Cant wait to see the big fellas 9'0, also I've heard that Tommy Carroll has been loving his, he's even been spotted surfing 8ft German Bank on it.........the boards must be sick!

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
29 Sep 2010 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

SUPfool said...
Where's the review Casso.........is it that good that you haven't had time to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)?

Something like that - I'm in the middle of a little test pilot excursion up the coast with Black Beauty right now. A visual and text based analysis is being developed as we speak. Stay tuned.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
7 Oct 2010 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Here is the first of a series of vids of this board in action:

More to come.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Oct 2010 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Here is the review:

Eight-two. Ahhhh. That's a scary number for a bloke who weighs 84 kg - but what the hell, you only live once. I've been riding an 8'6" for about six months have been saying all along that there is no way that I'll ever go shorter than that or, in fact, that I'll even need a new board at all for a quite some time. Then I saw a picture of the prototype Stand Sure Fiber Flex by Simon Anderson and Hayden Cox (inventor of the Fiber Flex technology) - ooooh, I liked the look of that. I got to chatting to the Walk on Water guys and one thing led to another and before I knew it I was on the phone to Simon Anderson himself, discussing the design of my new, custom, black railed beauty.

One word: Ping

The board is 8'2" x 28.5" x 3.9"

It was only a bit over a week after my discussion with Simon that the board was trucked down from the Dolphin factory on the Gold Coast (Simon and Hayden were up there that week setting things up for a new glassing partnership with Dolphin). It arrived at the SUP Shop in Mona Vale the night before the shop's grand opening. Perfect.

I didn't get a chance to ride it that day and only just managed to squeeze in a very late night grip application session before heading off on a boat trip to an isolated river mouth at 5am the next morning.

I threw the 8'2" over the side of the boat and attached the legrope to the aft bollard while I suited up. The little fella looked so tiny floating there next to the boat - how was I ever going to paddle that thing? What had I done? I had counteracted the reduced length with a wider nose but it wasn't looking hopeful. I finished getting ready, pulled the board up to the transom and jumped on while the rest of the crew watched in anticipation. Ahhhh. Ohhhh. Yessss! I could stand on it! I was so happy. I paddled to the take-off zone, 500 metres away, my feet were underwater but it was surprisingly stable and I didn't fall in once.

The overhead left handers were pumping that day. The board performed unreal. So fast in the sucky sections and it maintained that speed beautifully through the fat sections. You could really feel the carbon rails loading up energy through the bottom turns and in the drivey, on rail cutbacks - then PING, the energy would be released as you completed the turn and straightened the rail. It was like getting whipped out of a tow surfing turn - just so much speed coming out of a turn. That was something I had never experienced surfing a standard stringerless EPS SUP.

I was running large Jerry Lopez Futures thrusters that day. They worked a treat on the overhead, backhand, freight trains. I didn't spin out once and could turn the little black beauty on a dime when I wanted to or draw out a big backhand cutty when needed. The rounded pin is good for this versatility - stomp on the tail to pivot quickly or stay a little forward and use the rail to drive through a turn.

Four hours later I returned to the boat. My legs were starting to cramp up with the constant balancing - my face was starting to cramp up with the constant smiling. A very good day - a very good board.

Highs:
- Super fast
- Easy to throw around
- Super strong construction
- Gloss coat makes it look classy
- Very stable for its length
- Paddles well for its length

Lows:
- Handle slightly in wrong spot when gripped and finned
- Black rails show cosmetic shatters
- Relatively expensive

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Oct 2010 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

Here is another vid of the board in action:

More to come.

boxman
14 posts
8 Oct 2010 4:40AM
Thumbs Up

do you mean spring/flex in the board by the term ping or fast by the word ping?

is the idea of the carbon rails the reasoning behind the ping?

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Oct 2010 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

boxman said...

Yes (spring and flex) and yes (carbon rails).

TheSUPShop
NSW, 15 posts
8 Oct 2010 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

boxman said...

Hey boxman the key to the flex pattern of the FiberFlex boards is the parabolic carbon fiber frame that is constructed within the laminate. The carbon fiber frame is designed to maximise speed and drive whilst maintaining a flex pattern that flows with the wave. The structural design of the frame minimises twisting of the board, which results in a very lively and responsive flex pattern. You will feel the board responding to your surfing much quicker, which results in more speed and drive when you need it.

Also below is a video of Hayden Cox explaining the concept of the parabolic carbon fiber frame (FiberFlex). I know its from a short board perspective but the characteristics are exactly the same on a sup if not heightened due to the size of the board.

cranky
440 posts
8 Oct 2010 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

What are the parameters for the flex pattern? I'm struggling to get my mind around the science of the flex part.

log man
VIC, 8289 posts
8 Oct 2010 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

"fiber flex"= fiber marketing. What a load of old cobblers.

TheSUPShop
NSW, 15 posts
8 Oct 2010 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

cranky said...

What are the parameters for the flex pattern? I'm struggling to get my mind around the science of the flex part.

Ahh Crank thats the colonels secret herbs and spices.......

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Oct 2010 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

I'm no engineer but here is how I see it (and how it feels):

The carbon parabolic rails are stiffer than standard rails. You can still flex the board under load (in the middle of a drivey turn or hitting the lip) but the carbon has a quicker 'memory' due to the stiffness so it springs back into shape quicker. This quick spring back into shape acts a bit like a sling shot for that fraction of a second when you come out of the turn.

The extra stiffness also helps when you are going straight, especially when it is bumpy. The board remains rigid when it is planing instead of flexing unnecessarily (wobbling) and interrupting the water flow passing underneath.

I'm just talking out of my arse, so who knows, but that's how it all works in my head.

I also have no affiliation with Fiber Flex at all - I just like my new board.

TheSUPShop
NSW, 15 posts
8 Oct 2010 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

log man said...

"fiber flex"= fiber marketing. What a load of old cobblers.

Dont knock it until you try it logman...........if Tom Carroll, Casso and Matt Grainger all give it the "thumbs up", there must be something and not just marketing hype!

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Oct 2010 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Here are some more photos:

Looks a bit small:

Underwater:

Cutback around the paddle:

About to hit the lip:

Trimmin':

cranky
440 posts
8 Oct 2010 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

Here are some more photos:

Ok I can see the flex in that photo

boxman
14 posts
8 Oct 2010 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

i was of the opinion lots of people in the 90's had carbon fibre stringers on there short boards because people were having them made to thin and it increased strength and also as a result of the "Slater effect".

at 4' thick its hard to get my head around the concept.And as stated, i guess trying it is the only way to go. if it really does work, its the holly grail to improving everyone's surfing......here's hoping

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 Stand Sure 8'2" FiberFlex by Simon Anderson" started by Casso