Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 Stand Sure 8'2" FiberFlex by Simon Anderson

Created by Casso > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2010
MANWAT
NSW, 1 posts
21 Oct 2010 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, I just read all of these posts and it has just reinsured me of how naive the surfboard industry is! Hayden has created a product that is available to all shapers and surfers alike and not only is it locally made (for anyone that cares) but it allows other shapers to explore their shapes through a different construction....and reap all the benefits!!! I have surfed many different "technologies" of surf craft and FiberFlex is by far the best one I have put under my feet. I have a Hayden and a Lost FF and they are the best boards I have ever had!
My dad had a go of the Simon FF SUP and he is an experienced SUP rider and said "it definitely has spring!". Of course it is going to flex more than a custom PU board!! Why the hell is everyone so negative on the idea without even giving it a go!?!?!?! You can buy a custom shaped SUP board in Australia in a sick technology....one that is light and fast and has been approved by some great SUP surfers!! Why not give it a go?
This may not be the "be-all" technology but the construction is so easy yet no-one else but Hayden mastered it and made it available for all to try, Shapers included! And the best thing is it works!!!
Pull your stubborn heads out of the ground and give it a go! Change is good!
Yeeeeeeeew

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
21 Oct 2010 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

One more vid:

SupCulture
NSW, 33 posts
21 Oct 2010 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

I could really get started on this one. The windsurfer comments always get me going. I won't though, it's too nice a day outside.

Does a SUP flex? If you can flex it upside down on hard ground with 1 times gravity you would be surprised how many G's momentarily pass through a board in a turn. It's not how much the board flexes it's how it rebounds that you can or can't feel. Some boards feel alive, this is twang or rebound from the board and fins. If you don't think you are already feeling it make the same board twice with and without a stringer, make the same board again with a bamboo laminate. Then really kill it by making another and glassing it, putting a layer of divinycell, more glass and a kilo of car paint and see what happens. Your common sense tells you that these boards would all feel different. I think you are already feeling flex.

I was going to run the experiment of making the same board 3 times in 3 different constructions to demonstrate the differences of flex and performance, spoke to SUP World, had the materials and labour sponsored for free but never proceeded as the effort towards an apathetic market of people sold on mass produced boards really did not seem worth it.

Yeah good idea, we are considering same with a certain model (FF, Custom Epoxy w/stringer, Factory Epoxy sandwich). Would be interesting to get feedback - pity we couldn't blindfold the test pilot :-)

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
24 Oct 2010 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

SupCulture said...

CMC said...

I could really get started on this one. The windsurfer comments always get me going. I won't though, it's too nice a day outside.

Does a SUP flex? If you can flex it upside down on hard ground with 1 times gravity you would be surprised how many G's momentarily pass through a board in a turn. It's not how much the board flexes it's how it rebounds that you can or can't feel. Some boards feel alive, this is twang or rebound from the board and fins. If you don't think you are already feeling it make the same board twice with and without a stringer, make the same board again with a bamboo laminate. Then really kill it by making another and glassing it, putting a layer of divinycell, more glass and a kilo of car paint and see what happens. Your common sense tells you that these boards would all feel different. I think you are already feeling flex.

I was going to run the experiment of making the same board 3 times in 3 different constructions to demonstrate the differences of flex and performance, spoke to SUP World, had the materials and labour sponsored for free but never proceeded as the effort towards an apathetic market of people sold on mass produced boards really did not seem worth it.

Yeah good idea, we are considering same with a certain model (FF, Custom Epoxy w/stringer, Factory Epoxy sandwich). Would be interesting to get feedback - pity we couldn't blindfold the test pilot :-)

What if you just painted them all the same colour? If people had no idea what they were riding they could have no pre judgement. Just a quick layer of paint that could be rubbed off later on. I know other companies 'blind' test fins etc to get real results.

A format that has been used is surfer feedback and also that of a judge on the beach to score the waves given feedback on. Ie, if the surfer comes in and says 'Oh that one didnt feel as good as the other one' but is scoring consistently higher on points there are inconsistencies. Pre-judgement may be one of them.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
24 Oct 2010 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Nice video Casso getting tricky the corner gopro vid . Good surfing it crap conditions how does the board feel in the bumps , does it absorb the bumps more than a standard board or no real difference.

Rob

Fred Rubble
WA, 95 posts
16 Nov 2010 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Cant believe people are arguing over the riders personal account of the flex pattern
He's the one riding the board. You feel what you feel happening under your feet
They should be encouraging Casso to keep posting reviews and vids
With so many boards out there its a great opportunity to see how a board surfs on a wave
Great work Casso Ignore the negativity and keep the vids coming

SupCulture
NSW, 33 posts
20 Nov 2010 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Just heard that Matt Grainger won the Manly Festival SUP contest. Riding an 8ft 10in Stand Sure Fibreflex - see, it must work

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
21 Nov 2010 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

He could win on a soggy banana (naish ) board.

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
10 Dec 2010 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

How is the little puppy going, anything you would change on dimensions ,how is it holding up?

Gregos
SA, 36 posts
10 Dec 2010 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said...

Here are some more photos:

Looks a bit small:

it looks awesome dude!....whats the litreage of the wee vessel?

Marvin
WA, 725 posts
10 Dec 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

My 12' big easy definately flexes - you can feel it shimmy shake when you go over the back of a wave.

Its thinnish and long. Funny, I have seen so many snapped ones now around the traps.... Always worried I was going to snap it. But it always seemed to cope with me, no matter what punishment I meted out to it. I liked it so much that I keep it for friends and family.

And that said, its one of the nicest surfing boards I have tried (albeit a bit wide and long for my taste these days). Definitely 'lively'. Should be more of it (lively that is), I reckon.

But getting 'lively' into a board must be a fine line - and highly dependent on the rider's weight and the characteristics of the board (length, thickness) to get just right?

Reminds me of my quest to get just the right amount of flex in my golf driver.... or why I loved my Dynamic VR27s.... its a highly personal thing.

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
11 Dec 2010 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Dont want your shaft to stiff, need a little flex !!!!!

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
11 Dec 2010 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Marvin said...

My 12' big easy definately flexes - you can feel it shimmy shake when you go over the back of a wave.

Its thinnish and long. Funny, I have seen so many snapped ones now around the traps.... Always worried I was going to snap it. But it always seemed to cope with me, no matter what punishment I meted out to it. I liked it so much that I keep it for friends and family.

And that said, its one of the nicest surfing boards I have tried (albeit a bit wide and long for my taste these days). Definitely 'lively'. Should be more of it (lively that is), I reckon.

But getting 'lively' into a board must be a fine line - and highly dependent on the rider's weight and the characteristics of the board (length, thickness) to get just right?

Reminds me of my quest to get just the right amount of flex in my golf driver.... or why I loved my Dynamic VR27s.... its a highly personal thing.

wrap your club in carbon as that makes stuff flex!

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
8 Jan 2011 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

How is the board holding up and are you still riding this size casso?

pouncer1975
WA, 12 posts
9 Jan 2011 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

That is a beautiful board man! Simon is a master. How does it go in bigger stuff?

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
17 Jan 2011 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Gregos said...

it looks awesome dude!....whats the litreage of the wee vessel?

It's 98.5 litres. I'm 85kg and just floats me enough to hang around out the back.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
17 Jan 2011 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

The board is holding up great - not a single ding after heaps of punishment.

I've got a 8'5" as well now (same construction) - I wanted to pull the nose in a bit so it wouldn't catch on suckier waves. To pull the nose in and keep the same volume, I went a little longer. Everything else is similar except the 8'5" has a swallow tail.

Love them both. Ride the 8'5" in good waves and the 8'2" in fat waves.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
17 Jan 2011 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

pouncer1975 said...

That is a beautiful board man! Simon is a master. How does it go in bigger stuff?

He sure knows what he is doing.

The biggest I've riden it in was about 1.5x overhead - it went great in that stuff too. I had the bigger fins in and drew some really nice lines without feeling like it wanted to skip out off the bottom.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
19 Jan 2011 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

This guy looks like he is running a cool experiment:

One Surf Scientist's Quest for a Better Wave of Boards
By Erik Malinowski August 19, 2010

Researchers at the University of California at San Diego have been donning their wet suits and hitting the waves this summer to see if an objective, data-centric standard can explain why some surfboards perform better than others.

Benjamin Thompson, who hails from small-town New Hampshire, has been leading the effort through his Ph.D. focus at the UCSD Department of Structural Engineering, zeroing in on the properties of composite fibers and how they specifically relate to surfboards. Thompson's ultimate goal is to see if surfboards have something called “optimal flexibility,” a perfect point at which a board bends enough for a certain surfer.

“There's two schools of thought in surfing,” Thompson told Wired.com. “Some think that the board should be as rigid as possible. Some think that flex is the most important thing ever. What I'm trying to do is develop an objective way to define performance.”

For Thompson, who's been engulfed in this quest for two years now, it stems from a personal frustration with hearing accolades from friends about how a great a board was, only to find out that his experience didn't match up. “It's not like golf, where you can see how many yards the ball went and determine how good to club is. I'd have friends drop $600 on a new board because someone said it was sick, and my first thought was always, 'Well, how do you really know that?'”

So this summer, Thompson, armed with a team of enthusiastic UCSD undergrads, set out to brave the chilly waters north of San Diego for some actual in-wave testing. Thompson's prototypical system utilized eight sensors and an on-board microprocessor that collected data and, aside from storing it locally on a memory card, relayed it to an on-shore laptop.

The data gathered in this initial experimentation wasn't enough to draw any conclusions, Thompson says, but it did help in determining how future trials and prototypes might be rendered. For example, Thompson plans to deploy a board this fall that will be affixed with 50-odd sensors and mechanisms, including accelerometers, strain transducers and gyroscopic instrumentation. Thompson now knows, based on the initial tests, that the data set would be too large to transmit via radio waves to the on-shore computer, so the plan is to outfit the board with a removable flash drive that should be able to collate the entire data set without issue.

After the surfer has completed their run, they'll be interviewed and their analysis with be matched up with specific data points, in the same way a polygraph administrator would pair up lies told with spikes in the chart. “That's when we hope to finally correlate human performance with hard data,” he says.

“I always hear so many contradictions from people about which board is better and for whom,” Thompson said. “It's not that what they're saying is wrong. It's just not given enough context. You don't know about wave conditions or a person's body type, and that's what we're bringing into the equation.”

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
19 Jan 2011 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Geez, this experiment sounds overly complex with way too many variables to quantify anything from foam density, stringer wood, glass orientation, resin ratios, sanding etc etc.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to give each board a flex rating with a bendometer (not a real word but you get what I mean) and get your sample group of surfers to ride each board and work out which flex feels best to them as a starting point in their quest?

The reality is though and I have repeated this before as it is not my quote that the front to back foot ratio for any surfer is as unique as their fingerprint. Put simply, there can be no perfect surfboard for everybody at once.

On a more normal note though:

I would love to get a SUP off Simon one day, I remember his first one he hand shaped and he has certainly come a long way in that time with his SUP design or more correctly better transferred his already amazing shaping talent to this craft.

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
24 Jan 2011 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

green menace said...

The board is holding up great - not a single ding after heaps of punishment.

I've got a 8'5" as well now (same construction) - I wanted to pull the nose in a bit so it wouldn't catch on suckier waves. To pull the nose in and keep the same volume, I went a little longer. Everything else is similar except the 8'5" has a swallow tail.

Love them both. Ride the 8'5" in good waves and the 8'2" in fat waves.

Here they both are for comparative purposes:

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
29 Jan 2011 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

You prefer it as a thruster or quad ? what fins you running with them?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 Stand Sure 8'2" FiberFlex by Simon Anderson" started by Casso