Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Fanatic Falcon Carbon or HRS - Confused ??

Created by christopherc > 9 months ago, 8 Mar 2017
christopherc
QLD, 2 posts
8 Mar 2017 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

First post here. I'm looking at buying a second hand 14' 2015 Fanatic Falcon. The deck is the red with the black striping through it and the bottom is the white/grey with the black striping look through it. I thought this was the colouration that showed it to be a carbon board, whereas the heavier HRS boards had the solid red colouration on the deck etc. I can also see carbon on the parts or the deck that are not painted. However, the bottom of the board has the 'HRS' written on it. Can any one shed any light on this?

LucBenac
431 posts
8 Mar 2017 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Could you check the weight of both on a product catalogue or similar and then weight the board? If the weight of the used board matches your expectation then you are good. Carbon should be closer to 26 lbs and fibreglass likely closer to 30 lbs.

PS:
No clear answer it seems that Fanatic like many companies does not publish weights:
www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=23559.0

charlieuk
355 posts
9 Mar 2017 4:18AM
Thumbs Up

Its the carbon but looks like the put the wrong label on it. The real truth is though that the top is carbon and the bottom is just glass, they just don't tell you that in the spec sheet.

CheaterFive
QLD, 30 posts
9 Mar 2017 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

You can simply sand a small section of the white paint to confirm (enhance/extend the brush till it is exposed).

This will confirm if it is carbon or simply white over black paint.

I can't remember the model (it was a Fanatic tho) but my local ding repairer showed me the same thing, some boards are carbon deck and just black paint on the bottom to save $$$.

LucBenac
431 posts
9 Mar 2017 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CheaterFive said..
You can simply sand a small section of the white paint to confirm (enhance/extend the brush till it is exposed).

I can't remember the model (it was a Fanatic tho) but my local ding repairer showed me the same thing, some boards are carbon deck and just black paint on the bottom to save $$$.

That's sneaky. So much for the brush carbon look....

LucBenac
431 posts
9 Mar 2017 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CheaterFive said..

That's sneaky. So much for the brush carbon look....

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
9 Mar 2017 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

It does look like the carbon model. If you weigh it and it's 12-13 kg... then it is the carbon model.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
9 Mar 2017 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

It looks like the Carbon model as the HRS looked completely different. It's been stickered up incorrectly. This did happen with a few early models.
You'll find most companies don't put a weight in the catalogue as there can be a slight variation in weights depending on excess glass, a heavier blank or many other reasons. As soon as the company puts a weight on a board, the retailer has to deal with a customer who demands a hefty discount because their board is 500 grams heavier than that stated in the catalogue.

I've seen plenty of people weighing SICs and Starbies before they purchase to make sure they've selected the lightest board.

My other recommendation is you go and see a reputable shop. There's often stuff posted on The Breeze that is totally incorrect but people seem to believe it. Actually it's a bit more than "often"

colas
4986 posts
9 Mar 2017 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..
You'll find most companies don't put a weight in the catalogue as there can be a slight variation in weights depending on excess glass, a heavier blank or many other reasons. As soon as the company puts a weight on a board, the retailer has to deal with a customer who demands a hefty discount because their board is 500 grams heavier than that stated in the catalogue.

I think honesty is better:
- put the weights as a range on the web site, not a single number
- sell the heavier boards at a discount. Do not try to sneak them onto consumers at the full price.

Granted, not many brands do things honestly regarding the weights. But some does...

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
9 Mar 2017 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the carbon model - I have the same board

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
9 Mar 2017 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like the carbon model - I have the same board

christopherc
QLD, 2 posts
9 Mar 2017 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks very much for the replies guys. The Australian distributor got back to me very promptly and confirmed it is the carbon model, and must have had the wrong decal put on in the factory.

CheaterFive
QLD, 30 posts
10 Mar 2017 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

NNSUP said..

I think honesty is better:
- put the weights as a range on the web site, not a single number
- sell the heavier boards at a discount. Do not try to sneak them onto consumers at the full price.

Granted, not many brands do things honestly regarding the weights. But some does...

A weight range is feasible but there are still so many variables during construction.

Paint alone can vary the end product by 300 or so grams on average depending how heavy the guy in the booth goes (if it's brushed carbon, just rub it back some more if your worried about a few grams).

Add to that a non molded blank, hand sanding and more or less resin on lamination and you can get a board with up to 2kgs in variance from board to board.

Personally I would weigh the board and buy the heavier one, lol. Too light can have negative effects. I'd prefer a higher density blank in addition to less of a chance of a sand throughs.

These days people are all about the weight on shortboards and SUPS... But at the end of the day your limiting the life of the product whether you realize it or not.

Bring back Volan cloth!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Fanatic Falcon Carbon or HRS - Confused ??" started by christopherc