Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"

Created by Yardsale > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2016
Yardsale
66 posts
28 Dec 2016 3:44AM
Thumbs Up

Had a chance to paddle the new Ninja yesterday, flat water with a wisp of wind and noticeable current on the Willamette River. First design: unlike previous NSP boards designed for flatter conditions the Ninja has a displacement nose shape, with the tip "upside down" from previous years models. This year NSP has put little exit funnels on the bottom/side instead of just drainage holes, I assume for better laminar flow. The Ninja is a canoe style with a deep well and beefy sides. Bottom shape is slightly flatter than previous years with a narrow V to round bottom bow flowing back to a flatter midsection and moderately narrow tail.
Paddling: Stability wise the Ninja feels initially tippy like previous NSP canoe style SUP's (2017 is narrower toward front bottom hull) but it steadies quicker due to flatter mid bottom shape... it took me just a few minutes to adjust and feel comfortable enough to pressure the rail. Older NSP would roll further with excellent final stability, this board feels just as solid with less roll. With the river current the board is certainly fast, I would say without question faster than previous NSP's, but where this board really shined was going into the current... it was noticeably faster than any board I've paddled to date. Foot position really changed how the board felt, just a few inches back and it was noticeable tippier (a lot due to me not being used to it) I felt Ninja felt best with ball of foot centered on handle, in that position water would travel about 2/3 up the nose and I felt like I could really dig in with my paddle stroke. I noticed one other thing, my feet stayed a little warmer due to being well below the deck. Going through eddy's and bow waves the Ninja was very smooth, no tendency to "trip" or get pulled over like a board with square rails might. I hope any of that makes sense. Cheers

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
28 Dec 2016 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Nice review.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"" started by Yardsale