Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2018 Fanatic Stylemaster pure 10' x 30"

Created by JEG > 9 months ago, 24 Sep 2018
JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
24 Sep 2018 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

80kg 5'5" beginner to intermediate and I can't do cut back yet ;)

its a nice board to look at and you can feel the quality on this board and its tough after a few knocks with without a scratch.

the rails are thin and it shows once your on any wave combine with the v tail and the glide is quick and responsive for a long and wide board.

I think its more high performance long board. I struggled to hang-ten at the nose because its so quick ;)

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
24 Sep 2018 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

If you want to slow it down and have some more traditional style , chuck a big single fin in and get rid of the side fins.

10" single dolphin style fin I reckon...

johndg
WA, 206 posts
26 Sep 2018 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

I think you made a good choice buying this board. I have one. I have a friend who only surfs 10' boards so I happened to be in a store where one of these was on sale. I was surprised how well it goes. At first I tried a single fin but on bigger waves I could feel the board slipping. So I tried the combo that came with it and no issues. After getting used to the board I have gone back to a single fin and have no issues now. The board handles waves with power too and not just mush. Normally I have surfed shorter sups of around 100 to 110 litres but have since sold them to eliminated too many choices. A longboard will teach you to trim and walk the board and move your feet more for turning. Enjoy.

billekrub
122 posts
26 Sep 2018 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

For mush, the short boards with wide tail (usually) have a design to move quickly and have good action in small fat waves. Simmons, Tomo, Shroom, Super Frank, Skate, ...

With this one, which does everything, it must give up something to these others. For example, the others have less swing weight when on the tail, they do not require walking and walking delays, they are particularly fast, they have tails designed for speed with less wave steepness, etc.

Any others?

Why get the 10 footer?

10 footer should paddle straighter and faster making it possible to batch waves earlier or further off peak?
10 footer might be more stable?
10 footer might handle bigger and steeper waves as well?
Narrower tail might make better turns in the pocket?
Moving on the board might allow one to change its characteristics for a wider variety of situations on a wave.

Any others? Which are most important for you?

anchorpoint
190 posts
29 Sep 2018 2:23AM
Thumbs Up

I have the ltd version..10' ...what to say...i believed i was purchasing a dedicated hang five hang ten board but i been using mine in overhead and it rocks! It is thruly a versatile board...due to little rocker in the nose you have to lift the nose when you go on steep waves but this board is really special! The rails are slim...it turn on a dime...would recomend it anytime! But not a beginer board due to the low volume.

Slab
1061 posts
7 Oct 2018 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

I think the only thing that puts me off it is the low nose rocker....having a little more just helps keep things out o& trouble and you can still noseride them.

Slab
1061 posts
7 Oct 2018 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

I think the only thing that puts me off it is the low nose rocker....having a little more just helps keep things out of trouble and you can still noseride them. I have a board with low rocker/nose rocker and it excels in some conditions but it ccatches me out now and again.

saying that.....it still looks a great board and the cheaper versions good vfm.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2018 Fanatic Stylemaster pure 10' x 30"" started by JEG