Created by JEG > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2018
JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
1 Nov 2018 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Super frank / lean 8'0 x 30"x 4.2" liters 115L

Bought end of june.

Bought end of june.
nice looking board, light at 8kg non carbon material, nice quality and construction as you would expect from JL.

as a newbie the quad fin setup is nice to have, its fast and you can drop in at any angle and drive through, its so stable. The thruster somewhat slow but I'm working on that wave positioning thing ;)

at my level/height/weight I don't think I could go to a lower volume.

easy to catch a wave, like's late take off and the maneuverability is nice.

its a little unstable on rough days (backwash etc) but manageable and the gloss paint job is slippery.

Overall I'm happy with this board, good advised and service from Rob JL Australia

80kg 5'5" beginner to intermediate and I can't do cut back yet ;)

FRP
491 posts
1 Nov 2018 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Jeg,

Thanks for the review. Beautiful board. Very light weight, impressive for non-carbon construction. All what we have come to expect from Jimmy Lewis. Interesting that the QAd set up is your preference. I recently converted my wide tailed board to a quad and like the way it changed its performance.

Cheers

bob

2 Nov 2018 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jeg,
Glad you like your board & thanks for the review.... The Super Frank is the one board that I think works well as a Quad or a Thruster with it's nice "Thumb Tail"... I agree with FRP that the wider the tail the better the board works as a Quad but the Super Frank works well with either/or...
Enjoy

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
4 Nov 2018 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Good size & volume board for your weight. I too am about 80kg plus or minus 3kgs. My lowest & hardest board to balance is a 90 litre JL Super Tech. And at the other end of the scale is a very comfortable 124 Litre JP Wide Body.
The one I use most often is the 110 litre Sunova Soul. Good balance & performance. So a similar board at 115 litres would give me a bit more comfort & would probably be my next choice for better stability which would also help when setting up to catch a wave in more difficult surf.
You re on a winner in my opinion.

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
14 Nov 2018 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

How's the Super Frank goin JEG?
Have you managed to get some surfs in since your last post? Sweet looking boards I reckon.
Keen to hear your thoughts on it mate.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
15 Nov 2018 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..
How's the Super Frank goin JEG?
Have you managed to get some surfs in since your last post? Sweet looking boards I reckon.
Keen to hear your thoughts on it mate.

MangoDingo.

its fun from 1ft to over head height and its my only surf board to simplify my head from the market multiple board option.

at my skill level:

below hip height I found the quad is fast and the thruster has better control to maneuver and at this stage I like it because I'm trying to learn how to cut back, return and slashes

at above hip height the quads is faster as I mention before and i added a nubster to control the board but its too much fin to maneuver. However, the 5 fin setup is awesome on fast wall rides and hollow surf spots, its like your on rail, dig in and point to where you wanna be. I say the 5 fin setup is good for learner that need training aid.

I just need to work on with my stance and to make friends with the stump pad more often ;)

the board feels solid and tough and you know your getting the right sandwich from JL

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
15 Nov 2018 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff JEG - sounds like you're on to a good thing!
I hear you on needing some simplicity with the multiple boards on the market. Cripes - there's so many good sticks around at the moment that I'm goin' half mad trying to make a decision.
I really like the look of the Super Franks eh - short and stable and fast. The other key thing for me is strength. I'm pretty hard on my gear and don't show much mercy so I need my boards to be tough and resilient. I don't have time for boards that easily depress or get weak spots - especially when you pay a small fortune for them.
Are you happy with strength on the Super Frank?
Thanks again JEG - appreciate your thoughts mate.

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
16 Nov 2018 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..
I hear you on needing some simplicity with the multiple boards on the market. Cripes - there's so many good sticks around at the moment that I'm goin' half mad trying to make a decision.
I really like the look of the Super Franks eh - short and stable and fast. The other key thing for me is strength. I'm pretty hard on my gear and don't show much mercy so I need my boards to be tough and resilient. I don't have time for boards that easily depress or get weak spots - especially when you pay a small fortune for them.

FWIW i have a Jimmy Lewis - albeit a M14 - and if the construction is anything like mine it will be bullet proof.

I am very hard on gear and my M14 is still in great nick despite my best efforts.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
16 Nov 2018 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

I believe the majority of the boards coming from this factory where JL is made from are build right, see here

unless someone can come up with a better build/technique, this factory and others set the standard in my book.

multiple board shape thing are very confusing and I'm guessing you only need min 2 x board quiver (short & longboard) or max 3 x board quiver.

at my age/height/weight with this board volume I can't miss 3 weeks or a month without surf session otherwise its a balancing act ;)

if you don't surf that often get something comfortable or something like a longboard shape or round nose or the next size up than what your thinking for one board quiver.

here's more pics.

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
16 Nov 2018 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chucktheskiffie said..

MangoDingo said..

FWIW i have a Jimmy Lewis - albeit a M14 - and if the construction is anything like mine it will be bullet proof.

I am very hard on gear and my M14 is still in great nick despite my best efforts.

Cheers Chuck - that's what I like to hear

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
16 Nov 2018 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..
I believe the majority of the boards coming from this factory where JL is made from are build right, see here

unless someone can come up with a better build/technique, this factory and others set the standard in my book.

multiple board shape thing are very confusing and I'm guessing you only need min 2 x board quiver (short & longboard) or max 3 x board quiver.

at my age/height/weight with this board volume I can't miss 3 weeks or a month without surf session otherwise its a balancing act ;)

if you don't surf that often get something comfortable or something like a longboard shape or round nose or the next size up than what your thinking for one board quiver.

here's more pics.

Good one JEG - really informative vid - thanks for sharing.
Yes I agree mate - a couple of boards should be enuff. (mind you, if I had the coin, I'd have a few more )
yep - I've got the longboard which is filth and has actually forced me to re-learn how I surf and I understand now how much fun longboarding can be. BUT - I also want the shorty for those days when you need it.

Nice pics of the SF - I notice you've gone the thruster set up mate? How's that treating you? Preferable to the quad?

adamj2281
81 posts
16 Nov 2018 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..

I've had quite a few of Jimmy's boards, and let me say this - I'm tough on gear and those boards are rock solid. I actually had my WorldWide I used to have fall off the racks it was on in the garage onto concrete (roughly 6' fall), no damage. The only thing with the SF I've noticed is the deckpad can get a bit slick.

The SF has been rock solid, and no need for rail guards on this one, at least for me.

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
17 Nov 2018 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Adam - that's some good feedback mate.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
17 Nov 2018 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

As you know I have a quad, 5 fin and thruster setup all single tabs fin (screws in/out) but I wish JL & others would adapt to the FCS click in/out fin tabs as it so convenient though they might be reason why.

I prefer the thruster in all condition as I'm sick and tired of changing fin setup screws in/out

18 Nov 2018 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

windsurftom
NSW, 332 posts
18 Nov 2018 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..
As you know I have a quad, 5 fin and thruster setup all single tabs fin (screws in/out) but I wish JL & others would adapt to the FCS click in/out fin tabs as it so convenient though they might be reason why.

I prefer the thruster in all condition as I'm sick and tired of changing fin setup screws in/out

I think the futures box has a better reputation.
Id rather put a screw in than lose a fin

colas
4986 posts
18 Nov 2018 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurftom said..
I think the futures box has a better reputation.
Id rather put a screw in than lose a fin

Note that you can also put a screw in a FCSII system if you are afraid of losing the fin.

I may be unlucky but I was not impressed with the futures fin system. Some futures boxes on some on boards had lateral wobbles, and from what I am reading it is not uncommon. The FCSII system locks perfectly the fin in place. The drawback of the FCSII system is that the choice of true FCSII fins is limited to only FCS-made fins. You can use FCS1 ones, but FCS1 fins connection is not as good as a good futures box (but better than a bad futures box...)

18 Nov 2018 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Colas, I disagree... I've never had a problem with Future's (nor FCS 2)... They're the closest fin system & feel to fixed fins giving you true flex through your fins the way they are meant to work....The box holds the whole base of the fin in place as opposed to just 2 tabs....
I've had Future's in both my performance shortboards & sup's since they've been around & never had a problem with an of them... The only reason there would have been a problem is they weren't installed correctly especially if they "wobble laterally"...
I have FCS 2 in some of my surfboards for Indo & I do like them but I do put a single grub screw in each when I'm traveling as I've fallen on my fins before & lost a fin easily...

colas
4986 posts
18 Nov 2018 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jimmy Lewis Boards said..
Hi Colas, I disagree...

Actually we do not disagree: you say you didn't have any problem with yours, I say I had problem with mine... Both statements can be true at the same time :-)

In the same way, I can say I never lost a FCSII fin. But I know some people lost them.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
20 Nov 2018 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Liking the speed and tail slide on that quad setup

landcruiserbob
1 posts
4 Mar 2019 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

I lurked here for years but never post, great site.

I run my 7'6" JL super frank as a twin fin. Open your mind and lose a fin...True Ames fins. I'm lazy and I like late drops & these fins really hold on steep Hawaiian head to head in 1/2 waves. It's also nice to have some clearance between the fins for dodging coral heads. Buggah is loose.

I was on Naish boards for years but JL get's it right. I also surf his shortboards sb and they are super solid give them a try.

On windy days the super frank is my hybrid longboard, yep I'm a kook.

billekrub
122 posts
5 Mar 2019 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

How big can an occasional 80 kg rider go before the board loses much of its performance?

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
5 Mar 2019 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landcruiserbob said..
I lurked here for years but never post, great site.

I run my 7'6" JL super frank as a twin fin. Open your mind and lose a fin...True Ames fins. I'm lazy and I like late drops & these fins really hold on steep Hawaiian head to head in 1/2 waves. It's also nice to have some clearance between the fins for dodging coral heads. Buggah is loose.

I was on Naish boards for years but JL get's it right. I also surf his shortboards sb and they are super solid give them a try.

On windy days the super frank is my hybrid longboard, yep I'm a kook.

interesting feedback landcruiserbob
which True Ames twin fins did you use and what size?
for me I like the thruster setup but over head high, the 5 fin (nubster) is better though changing fin setup is a pain so I just put up with the thruster setup permanently.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
5 Mar 2019 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billekrub said..
How big can an occasional 80 kg rider go before the board loses much of its performance?

not 100% sure of your questions billekrub, can you elaborate more.
i'm beginner to intermediate around 80kg and I ride the 8'0 x 30"x 4.2" liters 115L and its a bit tippy but manageable and fun when the waves is on. If you dont like tippy board and depends on your experience try the 8'6 x 30.5"x 4.4" liters 130L?

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
5 Mar 2019 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hi Jeg,
Glad you like your board & thanks for the review.... The Super Frank is the one board that I think works well as a Quad or a Thruster with it's nice "Thumb Tail"... I agree with FRP that the wider the tail the better the board works as a Quad but the Super Frank works well with either/or...
Enjoy

How about making a small size Super Frank - 7.4 or 7.2 or less maybe?:-)

railbanger
WA, 40 posts
6 Mar 2019 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..

Hi Jeg,
Enjoy

How about making a small size Super Frank - 7.4 or 7.2 or less maybe?:-)

Have you tried the 7'6" Lean size?

6 Mar 2019 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

The 7'6 "Lean" is the way to go if you want a short performance sup...

adamj2281
81 posts
6 Mar 2019 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Agreed, when I first got the 7'6" SF Lean, I was thinking yeah I could have went shorter and still not had stability issues (I'm around 78kg), but.......after having it for about 8 months, I don't think I'd go much shorter because it would take away a bit from it being able to catch basically everything. There's a point of diminishing returns, I think you could get down around 7', but.........for the majority of people and more importantly, conditions, it wouldn't help.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
8 Mar 2019 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
adamj2281 said..

Agreed, when I first got the 7'6" SF Lean, I was thinking yeah I could have went shorter and still not had stability issues (I'm around 78kg), but.......after having it for about 8 months, I don't think I'd go much shorter because it would take away a bit from it being able to catch basically everything. There's a point of diminishing returns, I think you could get down around 7', but.........for the majority of people and more importantly, conditions, it wouldn't help.

I know - but i now find it hard to even surf a 7.4 in any brand now, my main board is a 7.2 x 30" just like a 6.2 short board:-)

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
9 Mar 2019 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..

adamj2281 said..

I know - but i now find it hard to even surf a 7.4 in any brand now, my main board is a 7.2 x 30" just like a 6.2 short board:-)

Your board is short Johndesu and what's your weight, I don't how you ride them ;)
hopefully when rob gets to vicco one day or when I see him next I'll like try the SF 7'6, destroyer 8'0 & supertech but not sure which size?

billekrub
122 posts
9 Mar 2019 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..

billekrub said..

not 100% sure of your questions billekrub, can you elaborate more.
i'm beginner to intermediate around 80kg and I ride the 8'0 x 30"x 4.2" liters 115L and its a bit tippy but manageable and fun when the waves is on. If you dont like tippy board and depends on your experience try the 8'6 x 30.5"x 4.4" liters 130L?

Bigger, to be less tippy. So 130L is a possibility. How much worse would the 8'6" x 32" be? A slug? Requiring even more skill to turn? Better to get another shape not meant to be sailed so short?

Currently using an 8'11" x 30" x 130L, wide nose and thick rails. Would not want a less stable shape, for occasional use.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2018 Jimmy Lewis Super Frank" started by JEG