Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2020 Fanatic Stylemaster 28 vs 30 comparisons

Created by adssup > 9 months ago, 28 Mar 2021
adssup
NSW, 60 posts
28 Mar 2021 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Interested in people thoughts on the wider version Stylemaster, in particular how it handles in comparison to the 28.5?

I recently got the Smik Hipster Twin Longboard in 10x29. Love it on a wave. Hate it when it's less than perfect getting out back or hanging around waiting for a set. Found myself every 2nd and 3rd set getting out of the water with the sh!ts and saying I'm gonna sell it.

Only choices locally for our small, weak mal style wave here in Christchurch is Fanatic, so I'm looking at the Stylemaster. Have demo'd the 28.5 and quite like it. Find it more much stable than the Smik when paddling out and hanging around out back. No chance to demo the 30.5 option.

The Smik is being passed to my girlfriend to replace her Fly, as she really likes the Smik (and I can ride it on the occasional perfect day when she's not out).

I'm 45, 6'2 and 95kgs intermediate surfer. Have supped for almost 10 years and owned quite a few boards. My current situation only allows space for 1 board.

Keen to hear thoughts from those who've surfed both.

Cheers

BigZ
170 posts
28 Mar 2021 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

You love the board on the wave. This is what counts. Just practice. With time on the water, the balance will not be an issue.

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
28 Mar 2021 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

I rarely paddle back out to the back because my boards are too small to quickly paddle out. I find it way easier to quickly prone paddle out the back.

The balance waiting for sets just comes with time. 8f you love the board on the wave stick with it.

I had a 10 x 29 hipster and found the stability to be pretty good.

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
28 Mar 2021 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

I rarely paddle back out to the back because my boards are too small to quickly paddle out. I find it way easier to quickly prone paddle out the back.

The balance waiting for sets just comes with time. 8f you love the board on the wave stick with it.

I had a 10 x 29 hipster and found the stability to be pretty good so just practice and find that sweet spot.

mike3217
VIC, 62 posts
30 Mar 2021 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

ADSSUP Your only 45 still plenty of time Get out of Christchurch an you will never have to ride small weak waves ever again

anchorpoint
190 posts
2 Apr 2021 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

Adssup, i have the wide one and tried my friend 28.5 , obviously faster , easier to turn , i reckon the wide one is easier with chop or windy conditions ( but marginal at that point ) but i think you shoud not go for the stylemaster as your one board quiver, dont get me wrong i love the board , will not sell it, but but its a condition related board, its flat rocker , catch anything, its fun but when the waves get serious you have to be at the back of the board and turn the nose if that make sense..basicaly what im saying is another board with the same dims but more suitable to serious conditions could be more suitable for you since it will be the only board ...otherwise love the stylemaster despite negative comments sometimes from bloggers or reviews.. its good at what it was designed for ...old school longboarding style...

DCeeSup
VIC, 25 posts
4 Apr 2021 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bud, I have owned the Fanatic Stylemaster both the 2019 and the 2020 versions (10x30 and 10 x 30.5). Both great boards, stable and surfed well off the tail. Interestingly enough I have just purchased the Smik Hipster longboard 10x30 as well. I rate the Smik over the Fanatic for speed and agility but the Fanatic 10 x 30.5 paddled faster and had more of a traditional feel. Also had the Smik Style Lord 10x30 and preferred the Fanatic over the Smik for stability and paddling into waves. Im 93kg 187cm. Also have the new Starboard longboard 10x31... to much volume at this stage but haven't really had it in decent conditions to really comment. In short the Fanatic 10x30.5 is a solid stable board that surfs extremely well for its volume. I will buy another one when they bring out a new model. Only criticism with the Fanatic is the durability compared to the Smiks. Hope this helps!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2020 Fanatic Stylemaster 28 vs 30 comparisons" started by adssup