Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2022 New SUP Surfboards

Created by Hoppo3228 > 9 months ago, 17 Aug 2021
Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
17 Aug 2021 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Just wanted to get a topic started for all of those posts about new models that start basically coming around Sept / Oct. Easier to be in one place IMO.

(if mods are not happy, please remove )

Cheers.

surgolrun
QLD, 14 posts
29 Sep 2021 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Very interesting - check this one out, new 22 Allstar and nothing on official site yet....?

Chuck46
NSW, 58 posts
7 Oct 2021 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

STARBOARDS have arrived at SURF FX Gold Coast

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
25 Nov 2021 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

2022 Starboard Limited Series Boards...

Tardy
4919 posts
25 Nov 2021 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

If your getting a custom built for 2022 ,does that count ,? a shorter fatter sunova insane ,

colas
4986 posts
25 Nov 2021 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

For Gong, in 2022, it is a refinement of the shapes, with more sizes. The most popular models (NFA, Mob) come for instance in XS and XL variants (or "rad" and "cool") for each length, with less or more width and volume. A generalization of the "wide" variants that some brands (including Gong) have used. For instance, the Fatal disappears, as the new "Rad" Mob should nearly fill its "ecological niche".

The Mob, Alley and Zero are the boards that have seen changes:
- The Mob has been fully redesigned to extend its range, as now it has to fill the shoes of the ex One, Mob, and Fatal.
- The Alley has been tuned for higher performance by the "pro" team riders: less volume in rails, more rocker, more use of concaves, subtle fin placement changes.
- The Zero has slight tweaks, mainly to reduce rail volumes

Prices went a bit up, as the 10 times increase in transport costs impacts not only the shipping of the finished boards, but also raises the price of all the materials (which also rose by themselves). Note that the stated weights are for the "naked" boards (+/- 5%), the pad adds 500 to 700g depending on the size. And no shipping outside of Europe.

But the 4 types of noserider / longSUP models (Gong's DNA) are still here. E.g, the NFA:

Disclaimer: I am a Gong ambassador.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
25 Nov 2021 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Pity we can't buy Gong boards in Australia Colas !!!!!!

colas
4986 posts
25 Nov 2021 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..

Perhaps... but Australia have many quality shapers and brands... there are worst places to be a SUPer ;-)

supsean
200 posts
26 Nov 2021 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Rossall said..

Perhaps... but Australia have many quality shapers and brands... there are worst places to be a SUPer ;-)

agreed. Getting SUPs in the northeast of the USA is near impossible. Order on a container that is coming in 3 months....You have SURFFX that for me is an unimaginable dream shop.

supsean
200 posts
26 Nov 2021 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..

intrigued by the new construction, but wondering how it stacks up to the older more expensive starlight construction....

Chuck46
NSW, 58 posts
26 Nov 2021 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I reckon it might be like a Lite Tech Version Two ? Looks great, tough as, and a competitive price. They might test the market with it then phase out the Lite Tech according to sales. There is a price differential too for the "new" technology of course.
My boy just got himself a Wedge in Starlite from SurfFX. Much higher level of quality allround. The rails are super strong too.
That SurfFX store is something else for sure. They should franchise it. Cheers

colas
4986 posts
26 Nov 2021 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hoppo3228 said..

The hexagon piece of pads is a nice touch. Both because they seem quite thin, and it makes it easy to either replace an used one or reduce or increase the pad surface seamlessly.

I guess hexatraction kind of changed the pads ecosystem. It will be interesting to see if in some years, all pads will be tiled hexagons.

Or maybe other patterns?

Escher tessellations pads, anyone?
mathstat.slu.edu/escher/index.php/Tessellations_by_Recognizable_Figures

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
26 Nov 2021 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

I was in Surffx shop this week and had a chance to check out the new white starboard range of boards. They are probably not as light the previous carbon starboards models but do feel solid and well made.

The new hexagon deck individual deck pads are a great idea for traction.

The more rounded nose on the hypernuts are a better design I believe than the chunky straighter noses of previous years.

All white will be easier to colour match if dinged and will be good in the heat whilst travelling on the roof racks.

These boards look clean and remind me of the old white PSH boards from yester year. Price is in the range for most people without having to pay 2K and upward.

justaddwater
NSW, 674 posts
27 Nov 2021 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't picked up a new limited board yet ,but I recently felt the weight of a carbon 2021 10x29 longboard model and it was quite heavy,so if they are around that weight and1K cheaper they are on a winer IMO .anyways this new approach,price point,may start other brands going the same way. $$$ There durability /longevity's yet to be realised though. I love the uncomplicated /practical white ( for heat reasons)colour and the deck grip system for customising,or repair,I think the longboards have the old star touch on the front for nose work ?well done Starboard !

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
27 Nov 2021 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..
I haven't picked up a new limited board yet ,but I recently felt the weight of a carbon 2021 10x29 longboard model and it was quite heavy,so if they are around that weight and1K cheaper they are on a winer IMO .anyways this new approach,price point,may start other brands going the same way. $$$ There durability /longevity's yet to be realised though. I love the uncomplicated /practical white ( for heat reasons)colour and the deck grip system for customising,or repair,I think the longboards have the old star touch on the front for nose work ?well done Starboard !

Yep - hundred per cent JAW.
I'm f*rkn loving my Starby Wedge (starlite) - super keen to give the 9'2 Wedge a run and the new limited is definitely lookin' the goods.

1fox
184 posts
28 Nov 2021 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

Browsing through Starboard and Gong websites, I understand that low volumes boards are history :(

The limited series from SB reminds me of the Technora construction. Very good looking boards.

BigZ
170 posts
28 Nov 2021 6:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
1fox said..
Browsing through Starboard and Gong websites, I understand that low volumes boards are history :(

The limited series from SB reminds me of the Technora construction. Very good looking boards.

How much do you weight? Is 76l or 65l too much volume for you ?

finsup
NT, 185 posts
28 Nov 2021 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

V interesting...

colas
4986 posts
28 Nov 2021 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
1fox said..

Which ones are you missing? Gong has still the 65 liters boards in the "Shortboard SUP" lines (Alley & Karmen), they never had lower volume boards in the production lines.

There has never been enough people wanting extra low volume longboard SUPs (< 100L) to offer production lines. They either go custom, or semi custom, i.e. they order prone Gong surfboards and have a layer of deck reinforcement added before shipping. And I guess you can do the same for most brands, it is even easy to do it yourself as you do not have to do complex things like wrapping around rails.

1fox
184 posts
29 Nov 2021 5:07AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I really didn't made my point:
I mean, for the equivalent sizes they're putting litres on.

additionally, sometimes for bigger conditions I want a longer board, not a bulky scale up.

If one wants a bigger wave, longer board, very limited options. fone anakao 2019, sunova insane.
jl stun gun (too wide)

For longboards, the market still makes some nice slim things:
Starboard 9 x 26 longsup
fone noosa pro
new deal 9x 26
sunova revolution

OkiWild
119 posts
29 Nov 2021 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
1fox said..
Sorry I really didn't made my point:
I mean, for the equivalent sizes they're putting litres on.

additionally, sometimes for bigger conditions I want a longer board, not a bulky scale up.

If one wants a bigger wave, longer board, very limited options. fone anakao 2019, sunova insane.
jl stun gun (too wide)

For longboards, the market still makes some nice slim things:
Starboard 9 x 26 longsup
fone noosa pro
new deal 9x 26
sunova revolution

This is why I mostly just use the longboards now. Works in tiny surf. Works as a gun.

colas
4986 posts
29 Nov 2021 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
1fox said..

Ah OK.

Gong had SUP guns (look for "Gong Outlaw") until 2018 but they did not sell in enough numbers to sustain a production line. Especially after the covid crisis.
Basically, people tackling big waves are very specific about their gear, and very few of this already small bunch will be satisfied with the design compromises inherent to production boards... if they have not already switched to foiling :-)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2022 New SUP Surfboards" started by Hoppo3228