Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

8'6" Smik Spitty

Created by Brenno > 9 months ago, 7 Oct 2020
Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
7 Oct 2020 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

I tip my hat to anyone making a go of it in these f'd up times.
I started talking to Scotty about this board months ago, so when it turned up recently and the box looked like this, my heart sank.

I mean really, what is wrong with people? Luckily they'd missed the rails on both sides of the tail and the board was ok. Phew!
8'6" x 30" x 125 litres @ 7.9 kg in beautiful blue, with my own smik logo.
Got back home off shift last night and woke up to nice big peeling right handers. Awesome, finally get to try her out in some semi juice. With the rest of them. The new norm.
I can only compare this to my 9' x 28" hipster twin longboard, as that's all I've surfed for about 18 months, so here goes.
Stability - a little less, which is what happens when you sharpen the nose. Glad I went with 30" wide, perfect for me. Standing further forward on this board.
Paddlle out, paddle on - a little more effort required, but still doable. Much easier to turn for a wave with weight on the back foot. Takes off like a rocket on the drop.
Surfability - an entirely different kettle of fish. This thing absolutely rips. If I had to compare it with boards I've had in the past, it's very similar to my Deep JC, but with the ability to push the tail out and really kick up some water if you want. The stock fins definitely do the job, and I can see how they may save your life on a wave of consequence, but I love my C -Drives. They just suit what I love to do and where I surf.
Finish and durability - awesome as usual, will report back after a few more sessions.
Thanks Scotty for another awesome board.

cbigsup
454 posts
7 Oct 2020 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Brenno, Awesome looking sled mate. I suspect fin experiments may begin soon. Let us know how you get on with her. Blue is totally SMIK!

Cheers,
Biggie

Tardy
4930 posts
7 Oct 2020 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Brenno ,looks like a quad set board would work well on that blue machine too.

Souwester
WA, 1255 posts
7 Oct 2020 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Looks Siiiiiick, good review mate - hope you score good waves on the new sled!

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
7 Oct 2020 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

I actually thought about you and this board today. Love the blue hey my hipster is the same colour!

bobajob
QLD, 1534 posts
7 Oct 2020 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

That is a fantastic looking shape. I'm really starting to like these fuller nosed shapes.
Enjoy

Hoppo3228
VIC, 744 posts
7 Oct 2020 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Enjoy mate! Yew!

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
7 Oct 2020 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Sick Brennoooohh!!!
youve got yrself another keeper there man.

bigmc
NSW, 242 posts
9 Oct 2020 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

That channel is the same as the Hypernut channel. Must have the same effect. Board accelerates pretty quick on take off. Scotty was a designer on the Hypernut as well. Just sold my Spitfire V1. I am confused at what to get to replace it. Spitfire, Hipster Twin or Bonza. Lucky I am a little short on funds at the moment so don't have to decide. Board looks amazing. Great colour choice.

nicobrucker
NSW, 5 posts
19 Nov 2020 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

What's your weight Breno?!

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
22 Nov 2020 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nicobrucker said..
What's your weight Breno?!

100 kg give or take. Mainly give.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
22 Nov 2020 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

2 board quiver.
Loving them both.
All bases covered now.....

anchorpoint
190 posts
22 Nov 2020 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Great quiver Brenno ! You just need a round tail now to complete the collection!

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
23 Nov 2020 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Sick Brenno
Geez, I reckon you'd be finding it hard to concentrate at work with those two whispering sweet nothings in your ear.
It'd be like the call of the conch.
You've got the new Spitty just in time for some possible La Nina cyclone/storm swells too with a bit of luck.
Ya done good man.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
24 Nov 2020 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..
Sick Brenno
Geez, I reckon you'd be finding it hard to concentrate at work with those two whispering sweet nothings in your ear.
It'd be like the call of the conch.
You've got the new Spitty just in time for some possible La Nina cyclone/storm swells too with a bit of luck.
Ya done good man.

Mate, always find it hard to concentrate at work. So many better things to be doing. Bring on some waves!

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
24 Nov 2020 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
Mate, always find it hard to concentrate at work. So many better things to be doing. Bring on some waves!

+1 brus!

bigmc
NSW, 242 posts
25 Nov 2020 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Brenno. You said earlier you would report later after a few more sessions. So how is the board going? cheers

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
25 Nov 2020 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigmc said..
Brenno. You said earlier you would report later after a few more sessions. So how is the board going? cheers

Maaaaaaate the conditions have been deplorable. Absolute sh1te. And not looking any better in the near future.
But!
The few times I've had it out have been fun. A little harder to paddle on than the hipster, but carves. A little too much dishpanning for me as a thruster, so I've gone to a quad which I do with all square tail boards anyway. Gone with my favourite C Drives, large in the front, medium behind. Would have trialled the stock, but only 3 fins provided.
3 days ago I was paddling that hard on to my third wave i snapped my paddle at the handle and gave myself an uppercut. F--k I was awake after that!
Paddle repaired and back out the day after I hooked into a couple of wally beachies and could feel this boards true worth.
More waves, more waves, more waves!!!

bigmc
NSW, 242 posts
26 Nov 2020 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks. Snapping the paddle. You must have too much torque. Board looks good with the channel.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"8'6" Smik Spitty" started by Brenno