Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

8'5 Gerry Lopez sweetie pie

Created by JBird > 9 months ago, 13 Jul 2015
JBird
1 posts
13 Jul 2015 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking at the 8'5 Gerry Lopez sweetie pie. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 158 just wondering if It will be stable enough? I surf all the time, but just getting into sup boards. If you have any advise I'm all ears.

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
14 Jul 2015 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

If you can surf at your weight it will be perfect. If you can take it to some flat still water and find your sweet spot and practice turning your board quickly, check out YouTube. Everyone I know who has one loves them. If you are not a surfer look at something just over 9 foot or try a longer minion type board (7'10" x 28" or just over 8ft). You'll have to demo then.

jaydub1973
QLD, 156 posts
14 Jul 2015 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hey JBird,
Never had a problem with the stability when I had mine. Went really good with Future scimitar (if still available) quads in the back of the stock Gerry's in the front. My issue was with the durability of the construction so be gentle.
John

colas
4986 posts
14 Jul 2015 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBird said..
I surf all the time, but just getting into sup boards. If you have any advise I'm all ears.

You must prepare mentally to be a beginner again. Prone surfers (I was one) often do not anticipate how prone surfing does not prepare you to standing up on a SUP and using a paddle. Especially on a 8'5", which will be great after some time but require a decent paddling technique to master the row effect.

Plan to train on flat, glassy water (chop is very hard in SUPing). Then start with gentle small waves and alternate with flat water session to train for the points you have a hard time.

Your surfing expertise (wave reading, positioning, how to pup for speed, ...) will definitely kick in after the basic paddling skills will be learnt, but will not help for the first sessions.

So it should be OK, but be prepared for some learning curve...

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
14 Jul 2015 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

The Sweetie still has good volume it should be fine for your size. As Colas said might take a few practise paddles just make sure your first few surfs are low wind days

bobajob
QLD, 1533 posts
14 Jul 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

JBird said..
I surf all the time, but just getting into sup boards. If you have any advise I'm all ears.

You must prepare mentally to be a beginner again. Prone surfers (I was one) often do not anticipate how prone surfing does not prepare you to standing up on a SUP and using a paddle. Especially on a 8'5", which will be great after some time but require a decent paddling technique to master the row effect.

Plan to train on flat, glassy water (chop is very hard in SUPing). Then start with gentle small waves and alternate with flat water session to train for the points you have a hard time.

Your surfing expertise (wave reading, positioning, how to pup for speed, ...) will definitely kick in after the basic paddling skills will be learnt, but will not help for the first sessions.

What he says!! But once you get the hang of it.....well I rarely break out the "surf" board these days. I used to look on SUP as boring but soon found it's quietly addictive. Good Luck.

Kami
1566 posts
17 Jul 2015 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said..

colas said..

JBird said..

What he says!! But once you get the hang of it.....well I rarely break out the "surf" board these days. I used to look on SUP as boring but soon found it's quietly addictive. Good Luck.

What they said and more saying welcome to the new chop standing challenge which is much more and fun than tube riding.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"8'5 Gerry Lopez sweetie pie" started by JBird