Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

A look at the new 2020 Starboard Sprint Raceboard

Created by SurfFX > 9 months ago, 12 Jan 2020
SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Jan 2020 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Check out the new 2020 Starboard Sprint and all the changes made to get this board to move FAST!

Area10
1508 posts
13 Jan 2020 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

I don't care how fast a brand makes a board unless they also improve the construction: neither me nor my paddle buddies can afford to drop megabucks on a board that is likely to look like junk after only one year of use. I owned a carbon starboard Ace once... hmm... So I'm surprised that the video mentions little about the construction quality. I recently bought a Hypr Hawaii 14ft board and it costs less than a SB sprint but is *double* carbon full PVC sandwich plus many other features, and feels so solid and durable that you could knock a house down with it. That board will probably outlast me. Greener too, to build something that will last. My Ace pretty much needed a dumpster after 18 months.

JonathanC
VIC, 1020 posts
14 Jan 2020 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..
I don't care how fast a brand makes a board unless they also improve the construction: neither me nor my paddle buddies can afford to drop megabucks on a board that is likely to look like junk after only one year of use. I owned a carbon starboard Ace once... hmm... So I'm surprised that the video mentions little about the construction quality. I recently bought a Hypr Hawaii 14ft board and it costs less than a SB sprint but is *double* carbon full PVC sandwich plus many other features, and feels so solid and durable that you could knock a house down with it. That board will probably outlast me. Greener too, to build something that will last. My Ace pretty much needed a dumpster after 18 months.

Which year Ace did you have? I've still got a Carbon 2013 I got in late 2012. It's literally done hundreds of downwind runs and is totally unmarked. Saying that, I know the construction changed a few years ago.
Guess people who buy a new Sprint or similar from any brand want the fastest lightest board to race and that's the priority. The Hypr is not a yearly changing race board, comparing it to something like a Sprint makes no sense. My Starlite Pro 7'10 is incredibly tough...it's horses for courses. I believe that elite race boards in the lightest construction are not general consumer products anymore, they are more like race cars, fragile but fast. Is that good for the sport.....who knows.

paul.j
QLD, 3303 posts
14 Jan 2020 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

I believe that elite race boards in the lightest construction are not general consumer products anymore, they are more like race cars, fragile but fast. Is that good for the sport.....who knows.

Not true for some brands but can understand why people can think this after what has come out over the last few years.

IMO the days of light fragile boards are over as you can make a board light and strong if you invest the money into it. Full sandwich boards or Hollow are two pretty good constructions that you can get light and strong but to do it right just costs a bit in set up. All really depends if the company is after the dollar or after quality!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"A look at the new 2020 Starboard Sprint Raceboard" started by SurfFX