Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Advice needed - 1 board quiver needed!! Kids and foiling are eating space and my money!!

Created by IanInca > 9 months ago, 4 Aug 2020
IanInca
274 posts
4 Aug 2020 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

1st world problem.... I remember the days I jumped in the van with a few boards a wetsuit and go.. Now my kids have now got the bug and I'm now Wingsurfing as well as sup surfing..

Inventuary...
2 x 6ft prone boards (kids)
1 x 8ft foamie surf sup (kids)
1 x 9ft Gong Zero perf longboard (gem)
1 x 6'6 Gong Zuma foil board
2 x masts
2 x foil wings
2 x kite wings
4 x paddles
+ my wife prone surfed my sup and loved it!!!

Ideally I would have always had a shorter board with me for low tide fast (fairly shallow depth) waves. I reduced my quiver for new toys. Typical on this trip the best waves were some slightly dumpy but very fast fun low tide beach breaks. I paddled into a few that had all the prone boys on their tiny shortboard running for the hills!!

So my question is I love the glide and nose riding of Longboards but equally a performance tail to ride it like a shortboard. I can compromise as I'm no Kai Lenny..

I'd like a smaller length than my 9ft. "1 surf sup quiver" Around 7'8 to 8'5, 105 to 115L.

The only boards I know of are Infinity who now do the new deal in 8' or 8'6 which could be good but I can't spend that much on a board, why don't they do a cheaper version, I don't mind a bit of weight it helps the inertia in smaller waves. Sunova Steeze 8'6, I havnt really fallen for Sunova boards, I used the Speed in some size in Portugal and the Style. I liked both but didn't love them. Gong Zero 8'5, I think I'd be borderline with the weight/comfort with the smaller Zero. In chop I think it would be hard work.

Any others or perhaps short boards which you can jump on the front... The older Hypernuts were a bit longer, I had a 7'8 but it paddled so slow..

Any ideas..

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
4 Aug 2020 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

IMO Jimmy Lewis Destroyer.

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
4 Aug 2020 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Smik make a few that would fit

IanInca
274 posts
4 Aug 2020 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IanInca said..
1st world problem.... I remember the days I jumped in the van with a few boards a wetsuit and go.. Now my kids have now got the bug and I'm now Wingsurfing as well as sup surfing..

Inventuary...
2 x 6ft prone boards (kids)
1 x 8ft foamie surf sup (kids)
1 x 9ft Gong Zero perf longboard (gem)
1 x 6'6 Gong Zuma foil board
2 x masts
2 x foil wings
2 x kite wings
4 x paddles
+ my wife prone surfed my sup and loved it!!!

Ideally I would have always had a shorter board with me for low tide fast (fairly shallow depth) waves. I reduced my quiver for new toys. Typical on this trip the best waves were some slightly dumpy but very fast fun low tide beach breaks. I paddled into a few that had all the prone boys on their tiny shortboard running for the hills!!

So my question is I love the glide and nose riding of Longboards but equally a performance tail to ride it like a shortboard. I can compromise as I'm no Kai Lenny..

I'd like a smaller length than my 9ft. "1 surf sup quiver" Around 7'8 to 8'5, 105 to 115L.

The only boards I know of are Infinity who now do the new deal in 8' or 8'6 which could be good but I can't spend that much on a board, why don't they do a cheaper version, I don't mind a bit of weight it helps the inertia in smaller waves. Sunova Steeze 8'6, I havnt really fallen for Sunova boards, I used the Speed in some size in Portugal and the Style. I liked both but didn't love them. Gong Zero 8'5, I think I'd be borderline with the weight/comfort with the smaller Zero. In chop I think it would be hard work.

Any others or perhaps short boards which you can jump on the front... The older Hypernuts were a bit longer, I had a 7'8 but it paddled so slow..

Any ideas..

Should have said this is all I can take when we go camping w.. A few other boards and toys on the garage.. Basically 9ft out but what in?

I will look at Destroyer....
Smik..which ones?..

johndg
WA, 206 posts
5 Aug 2020 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Sunova Revolution.

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
5 Aug 2020 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Smik hipster 8'3, long enough for reasonable glide, fast, loose, wave catcher, well priced for quality construction. I like the hypernuts too. Super stable but a bit less performance.

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
5 Aug 2020 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickMc said..
Smik hipster 8'3, long enough for reasonable glide, fast, loose, wave catcher, well priced for quality construction. I like the new hypernuts too. Super stable but a bit less performance.

goggo
NSW, 355 posts
5 Aug 2020 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickMc said..

MickMc said..
Smik hipster 8'3, long enough for reasonable glide, fast, loose, wave catcher, well priced for quality construction. I like the new hypernuts too. Super stable but a bit less performance.

Have a Hypernut 7'4" and a smik hypster transformer 7'10" if you are under 90 kg, I would suggest the hypster is more versatile. Both excellent boards.

IanInca
274 posts
6 Aug 2020 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
goggo said..

MickMc said..

MickMc said..

Have a Hypernut 7'4" and a smik hypster transformer 7'10" if you are under 90 kg, I would suggest the hypster is more versatile. Both excellent boards.

I can only see the 8'6 or 8'10. I will be changing my 6'6 Foil board for a wing specific board around 5'. As in not sup foil surfing it doesn't need to be a 2 in 1 or 4 in 1..

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
6 Aug 2020 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IanInca said..

goggo said..

MickMc said..

MickMc said..

I can only see the 8'6 or 8'10. I will be changing my 6'6 Foil board for a wing specific board around 5'. As in not sup foil surfing it doesn't need to be a 2 in 1 or 4 in 1..

My mate's got the 8'6 Hipster and loves it. Don't think the extra few inches should put you off if you're after and all rounder.

robg1703
NSW, 201 posts
6 Aug 2020 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

My Jimmy Lewis Destroyer is my "one board sup" quiver...

sudsy
VIC, 75 posts
6 Aug 2020 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

2nd the Smik hipster twin, easily the best all rounder I've ridden, on the nose , off the lip , I'm 92kg on the 8'10 but could easily go the 8'6 , my usual waves a bit fat , better waves go 8'3 , hardly ridden my other boards since I got the Smik 2 years ago .

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Advice needed - 1 board quiver needed!! Kids and foiling are eating space and my money!!" started by IanInca