Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Angulo 9'8

Created by Mshindi > 9 months ago, 16 Oct 2012
Mshindi
2 posts
16 Oct 2012 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

I am looking at getting a SUP. I am OK surfer on my longboard, but am looking at getting a SUP for smaller days.

I am 6'2 and just a bit over 100kg. I was looking at something short but wide for stability, about 9'6x32x4 3/4 which get you about 170L volume (just like the Fanatic All Wave). They are a bit like hens teeth.

But I really do not have the funds to spend the 1500-1700 on a fanatic.

Down at Surfboard Warehouse Palm Beach (Gold Coast) they have an
Angulo 9'8 x 31 3/4 x 4 1/4 which has a volume of 150L.

My concern is that the thinner board with less volume will be a lot less stable for someone my size.

I just wanted to ask all you professionals whether it will make make any difference to the stability, or I would not even notice.

Thanks in Advance

Mshindi

warwickl
NSW, 2174 posts
16 Oct 2012 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi I have been on this board however I am 80kg.

What I have learnt is you only need enough volume to reasonably float you any more leads to corky feel and less stability.

This board was a little big for me but I think it would work well for you.

I also rode its smaller brother which was better for my weight and super stable.

I have progressed a little and now ride a Jimmy Lewis 8' 7" Kwad at 115 l which still has ample for float for me.

kourgen
NSW, 19 posts
16 Oct 2012 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

The Angulo will be a good board for you... I've got a mate who's well into the 100kg club he loves his 9ft Angulo Surfa. They are a well constructed board. I had a 9ft Surfa but it was too big for me @ 80kg. I think for you the 9'8 would b a good board to learn to sup surf on. You'll probably find later as you gain your sup legs that you'll eventually want to go smaller.

Mshindi
2 posts
18 Oct 2012 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback. It helps to get some reassurance

Jeroensurf
866 posts
19 Oct 2012 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

I really liked the Surfa9.8
Well finnished and strong board, cathches wave pretty quick, really stable in even very choppy chaotic slow waves and when you stamp on the tail it can turn very tight for it size.
Its a bit like a minimal of surfing, a 12fter catches more early, a sub9foot turns tighter but this one does it all pretty well.
The only downtrade to me is thatit doesnt come standard with a footpad. the bonus is that they got a mastrail so it can double as a learn to windsurf board for kids.

bigmc
NSW, 242 posts
22 Oct 2012 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mshindi. I have one and will probably never sell it. For its size and width it surfs well. As said before get on the tail to turn. I have put a tail block on mine for more positive feel. In chop it is extremely stable. I am 95kgs and my balance is not the best compared to most SUP'ers. I thought the volume was 160ltrs. Get it and then get a 9' er for when it is smooth. cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Angulo 9'8" started by Mshindi