Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Another Board advice request!

Created by qrwat > 9 months ago, 6 Aug 2018
qrwat
4 posts
6 Aug 2018 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

I've been lurking for awhile while saving some of my hard-earned from the mouths of my kids... I've been through the various searches on here, to a few stores and spoken with mates and family who SUP and was hoping for a bit of final collective advice to push me into a purchase that works for me.. please?

I'm 6'2" and currently around 120kgs, though I'm on my way down from 130 a couple of months back... I'm aiming to drop below the tonne and sit somewhere there. I've done probably 10 - 15 hours all up of flat water SUPing and surfed as a kid and through my teens.

I guess I'm really after an all rounder that will probably be spent about 70% of the time looking for a fun surf and 30% mucking around in the river. Something not too expensive that I can learn to surf on while I lose some weight and then pass on to the family for a muck around board when I get less fat

I'm SEQ based and keep coming back to the 10' or 10'6 Evoke as a pretty reasonable option at the price point? Yes/No? My brother is trying to sell me on a Naish 11+ but it's a hefty investment at this early stage..

Cheers

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
6 Aug 2018 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

An Evoke is a great starter for flat water and waves.

There isn't much volume difference between the 10' and 10'6" so i'd opt for the smaller one....

I started out on a 10' Evoke at 105kg. 1st day or two were a bit tricky, after that, easy.

You could always start on the Sublime model to make it really easy... then step down to a 9'2" Evoke in 6 months or so...

qrwat
4 posts
9 Aug 2018 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Hoppo, that was pretty much what i was thinking. what is the Sublime model? I couldn't see anything about that?

I have found a decent 2nd option on a Sunovo 10'6 but it is still probably $500 more plus a paddle that I think would be better invested in an upgrade down the track..

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
9 Aug 2018 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

It's a Waterborn Sublime , it's on the surfboard warehouse page. Beginner small surf and flat water board, but as you are a bigger lad, you'll still be able to move it around easy. Then because you are catching so many waves easily, you'll improve heaps quicker.... then move down to a 9'2" evoke In 6 months or so and you'll feel like you're ripping.

Don't skimp on a paddle, If you can... better to have an awesome paddle and ok board than the other way around.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Another Board advice request!" started by qrwat