Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Atlantis Bam Bam

Created by waxer > 9 months ago, 8 Jan 2015
yt04
QLD, 394 posts
1 Jul 2015 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gee you make it look easy Colas, I love those tiny quick foot placement changes that you do. One second they're in one spot next they're ready to go. I'm going to take mine out tomorrow to hopefully a 2-3' beachie. Hopefully the wind doesn't get up too much but at least it'll be mostly offshore.

CarterSUPhysio
QLD, 179 posts
2 Jul 2015 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Colas - that's really handy thank you for that video! I can see immediately a few things I need to change, particularly with how low I get. I just find it hard that i'm moving, either not at all, or super slow as the wave pitches, but I guess this is trusting the board and the last little stroke to get me going. Felt better yesterday afternoon, but still a way to go.Awesome, keep up the tips

colas
4986 posts
2 Jul 2015 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, you wlll have to practice the front/aft balance that is not really used on longer SUPs. Kind of a "3D balance" compared to the "2D balance" of longer SUPs.
Chop on short SUPs is really hard at first because it messes up with this balance, more than the stability issues themselves.

Try to have the nose quite raised statically, and push it back on the water by your paddling and body english. It is easier if you are just pushing in one direction rather than having the board balanced statically and then having to either push or pull on the nose.

Actually, this front/aft balance problem is similar to the row of boards: while beginning you want as less row as possible, but afterwards you want boards with a lot of row, to be able to quickly turn it (make U-turns in front of a wave, ...). Same with a Short SUP: once you master the front/aft balance you will love these tippy boards because they bring back the feeling of a prone take off...

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
2 Jul 2015 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Colas, I had another go at mine (2nd session) today and at first went really well with balance. I think I'm definitely on the heavier side for the board at 95kgs plus wetsuit and paddle for a 116 litre float. The wind hadn't picked up too bad yet but as the day went on the wind picked up and I got tired and then cranky. Paddling around was a lot easier and I didn't have any dramas with the row effect. I had heaps of trouble today with the board "corkscrewing" on take off and bucking me off. To say I was enjoying myself is a lie and you probably heard me yelling in frustration from France. I paddle fairly normal at the start and then change to surf stance but still couldn't stop it. I haven't mastered the 3 paddle take off yet and tried a few late ones but still stuffed them up. Any tips besides lose some weight as I'm working on that, would be appreciated. Cheers Whitey

AlexF
484 posts
3 Jul 2015 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Get a bigger board, not everybody has the balance of a ballerina, me too

colas
4986 posts
3 Jul 2015 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Whitey, do not worry, I took me many sessions to begin to enjoy choppy sessions, at least 20... I would not have taken one wave with chop at my 2nd session!

I would advise to just switch to a longer board when the wind / chop picks up.

CarterSUPhysio
QLD, 179 posts
3 Jul 2015 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

exact same with the corkscrew - but i've had glimmers of hope! i'm 6 ft and about 90kg so it's got to be just getting used to it for us!!

EToriginal
QLD, 95 posts
3 Jul 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

I find its best to be right in the take off zone - almost take off too late.
I try to be facing coming wave, quickly pivot and one little paddle while pushing hard on front foot then shift weight quickly to back foot and scream down wave.
I can only take off right though - no hope going left yet - bomb out every time.
I guess I'm lucky living right on beach and out almost every day.
I'm 6'1 and was over 92kg when I got Bambam - now below 86kg and it does get easier with less weight I think.

Dr Gas
QLD, 143 posts
9 Jul 2015 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Have spent the last week riding the Bam Bam in just 1-2 foot waves, beach breaks and point waves. Once you get the take off technique it is a blast, really quick over the dead spots, lots of tight fun turns, easy to fade etc. It is pretty wide at 32" however and I would be pretty wary of it in waves of any size or substance. How big are you game to go on it?

CarterSUPhysio
QLD, 179 posts
22 Jul 2015 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

how's everyone going with their Bam Bam's? I haven't been out much lately due to that horrible 4 letter "W" word... and the last time I went out my paddle decided to turn into two pieces in a turn... Have improved the take offs now, getting used to the feel and still loving it... maybe tomorrow morning

EToriginal
QLD, 95 posts
22 Jul 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

love the bambam, but as you said Dr Gas I found it a little out of control on bigger waves. (damn scary fun though)
I felt I needed something between my Allwave 9'1 and Bambam, so while on special I grabbed myself a full carbon 8'6 Vex Profusion.
Holy sh#t what a machine. This has to be the easiest board I've ever ridden. Had 3 sessions now - 1 yesterday, 2 today in reasonably good surf (for Agnes)
Just can't go wrong, hardly missed a take off from word go. Very smooth, easy quick turning, easily handled steep drops - can't believe how good it is for $$
Even though I nearly sink it - it seems to be really stable? Go figure..
Haven't even got decent fins for it yet either, so it can only get better, hopefully
Bambam looks like having a little rest for a few more days.

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
20 Aug 2015 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Oooooo, look what I just found while checking out the owners site. New bam bam version that has just been released in a eps version. Shame as I already have the carbon version Looks good Tim, another cracker board.

thedrip
WA, 2351 posts
20 Aug 2015 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Bit past the conversation but....

I am looking around at SUPs. Never really been on one, two or three five minute paddles, but I have been perusing TheSurfbordWarehouse boards. Why?

Because on a trip around Australia last year I bought a surfboard I had very low expectations of. Turns out it is one of the most versatile boards I have ever surfed. 1-8 foot? No problems. And I have pics to support it. The board itself has been absolutely bullet proof.

When I first got it, I went to surf it the next day and spotted a ding on the rail in the nose. It was obviously old, so I waxed up and went for my surf. Later I rang and got told to take it in where, after an examination, they swapped it for a brand spanker.

Their boards work, their boards are tough, and they have excellent warranty support and after sales service.

I have recommended them to lots of people because my experience with them has been so positive.

My biggest problem with them is they have been so successful a lots of SUP sizes are unavailable.

TimBurleigh
QLD, 112 posts
15 Oct 2015 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Strong onshore kicked but the man himself Beau Young was frothing on the Bam Bams and offered to click a few happy snaps.

And yes we did decide to make a larger model

magentawave
128 posts
16 Oct 2015 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tim, I have a few questions about your boards, please...

1) Is Beau's dad, Nat, into sup surfing too?

2) What's the difference in weight between your EPS boards and your carbon boards?

3) Do you sell to the US? If so, any idea about how much shipping would be for a maximum 8-6 sup to the San Diego, California 92011 area?

Thanks

theTroy03
1 posts
19 Oct 2015 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, new to this forum.
Just wondering what fins you are using in the Bam Bam. I have a 7'2 on layby and wanna get some decent fins for it before i pick it up in a couple of weeks.

cheers

CarterSUPhysio
QLD, 179 posts
19 Oct 2015 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Troy, i've got some shapers quads on mine - Jarrod ( in the second pic from the top in mid air with a massive punt) recommended them. They offer lots of drive out of the bottom but I find them easy to find the point where things get loose, quite predictable and fun. I just need to be a better surfer to properly put them through the paces haha. I've got the older model bam bam pretty sure, 7'2 - lots of fun. Just takes a little getting used to is you're used to 8ft + boards in terms of takeoff

colas
4986 posts
19 Oct 2015 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

theTroy03 said..
Hi guys, new to this forum.
Just wondering what fins you are using in the Bam Bam. I have a 7'2 on layby and wanna get some decent fins for it before i pick it up in a couple of weeks.

On this kind of boards, I strongly recommend C-Drive fins http://www.cdrivefins.com/, the added acceleration, grip and drive helps a lot providing the uuuumpf these shapes love.
Plus the added grip at low (paddling) speeds help a lot mastering the row of ShortSUPs.

Depending on your style, you may want to only use C-Drives in the front and regular fins in the rear, for less rear foot power surfing compared to 3/4/5 C-Drives.

EToriginal
QLD, 95 posts
19 Oct 2015 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

thetroy03, I put these on mine - SurFX shapers SUP fins - $119
Seem to work pretty damn good to me.

Just gotta find a good 5 fin set for my Vex - hopefully the SBW guys come good soon.
ET

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Atlantis Bam Bam" started by waxer