Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Atlantis Runway Nose Rider

Created by Smash1 > 9 months ago, 25 Sep 2016
Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
25 Sep 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Well, I saw the $699 special and thought - what the hell. I already have the 12' Venom in my 5 board quiver (ranging in size from 7'8' through to 14') and that has been an awesome fun board in all size surf. I had always wanted to give nose riding a go and was about to pay up for one of the expensive named brand boards. Took it out for its first spin yesterday in smallish 1-2 foot very clean waves (with a rare head high coming through). What an absolute hoot of a board and a great performer. Knocked out 24 waves in 1h 30 mins and could not keep off the nose. I'm close to 98kgs (dry!), so being a bit of a performance style SUP, a reasonable amount of the board is always underwater and it is not a simple cruiser-style board (well, not at my weight !!), so you have to put in a bit of a workout paddling the beast, but it certainly handles the waves very well (as well as the other nose riders I have demo'd). My only complaint is that the carry handle is probably an inch or 2 too far back as the nose has a bit of weight in it and tends to want to touch the ground as you walk. My only worry is that I have gone from long boards to short boards and now I'm heading back the other way.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
25 Sep 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Forgot to mention.......That I changed the standard shop fins to my ongoing favourties..............Piros V8's. They always make all the difference!!

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
25 Sep 2016 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

HAHA I'm looking at that board as we speak .. So cheap at $699 .... Makes u think how they can even make $ on it ..

Any way thanks for the review Smash

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
25 Sep 2016 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickChard said..
HAHA I'm looking at that board as we speak .. So cheap at $699 .... Makes u think how they can even make $ on it ..

Any way thanks for the review Smash

Well Mick...................you know where that 7'8' came from

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
27 Sep 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Just weighed the board = 10.3kgs

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
27 Sep 2016 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smash1 said...
Just weighed the board = 10.3kgs

Did you buy the 10' version Smash? I'm keen for one myself and I weigh in at 88kgs. Thanks for the review mate and makes it even more tempting.

Just don't know if I can afford it just yet as I pick up my new vex in the next couple of weeks and have to get a new platinum paddle too after I drove over mine a couple of weeks ago.... Idiot i am.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
27 Sep 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, got the 10' version. At 88kgs, it will be perfect for you. At $699, you can't go wrong

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
5 Oct 2016 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Well, just arrived back from from a late arvo nose riding shred session on this beast. Manly (am I allowed to name the spot without offending someone who wants to keep this location a secret!!!) was in perfect form and small 2'+ clean as waves.

This nose riding caper is seriously just too much fun! My short (big brand name and super expensive!!!) carbon boards are looking very sad and neglected on the racks in the garage!!!

You just gotta give nose riding a go

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
5 Oct 2016 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

I can't wait too smash, just need some swell up here in sunny qld! It's like a lake at the moment. 2 new boards and nothing to ride.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
6 Oct 2016 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Just landed in the God Coast. Yep - flat as

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
6 Oct 2016 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smash1 said...
Just landed in the God Coast. Yep - flat as

Oops - make that the Gold Coast

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
7 Oct 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

I'll make this my last post on this subject as my fellow SUP'er's/Shredders and potential nose-riders will think I'm mad or I'm on the payroll at Atlantis!!
Went out for an arvo session at Freshie today on the Runway (yes...$699!!). The perfect Sydney arvo and some nice head-high sets rolling through. Great beach scenery as well!!

Well, if nose riding was a drug, I've have become a serious addict!! SH#T this is good/awesome/amazing/great and good fun. A completely different feeling standing at the very front and on the nose of the board. Its like a new sport.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
7 Oct 2016 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smash1 said...
I'll make this my last post on this subject as my fellow SUP'er's/Shredders and potential nose-riders will think I'm mad or I'm on the payroll at Atlantis!!
Went out for an arvo session at Freshie today on the Runway (yes...$699!!). The perfect Sydney arvo and some nice head-high sets rolling through. Great beach scenery as well!!

Well, if nose riding was a drug, I've have become a serious addict!! SH#T this is good/awesome/amazing/great and good fun. A completely different feeling standing at the very front and on the nose of the board. Its like a new sport.

Nice to hear your

Lenn
NSW, 173 posts
8 Oct 2016 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Slight topic drift. .....i have tried contacting TSW as interested in this board.... am unable to get answered queries i have sent regarding shipping and missing specs on some of their surfboards....any reps on this site?

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
8 Oct 2016 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Call their 1800 number . These guys are fantastic and they always answer calls. Travis and Jarrod have always been helpful

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
8 Oct 2016 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

I second that. I've dealt with both over the phone and no dramas at all and met Travis last weekend when I picked up my boards, top bloke!

Lenn
NSW, 173 posts
8 Oct 2016 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

I will try calling again..i am patient and will email them as well...

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
8 Oct 2016 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lenn said..
I will try calling again..i am patient and will email them as well...

sale ends tomorrow...........................I now off overseas for 3 weeks and no surf

Lenn
NSW, 173 posts
8 Oct 2016 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Got through..runway 9"6' sold out

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
8 Oct 2016 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lenn said..
Got through..runway 9"6' sold out

quick and the.....................

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
9 Oct 2016 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

I know I said that I would not say anymore..............but..........this mornings session in near glassy conditions 2-3'....and 30 waves in 1h50m's....every one of them on the nose (it is handy having a Rip Curl GPS Search watch!!).

X 1,000

linter
223 posts
12 Oct 2016 4:54AM
Thumbs Up

would love to see some of your toes over the nose. got any vids or pix? if so, post em. if not, get em!

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
12 Oct 2016 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

I have just sold a 12'6 and I am thinking a Alantis noserider might be the go for those over 10ft comps that are popping up

vee8
NSW, 64 posts
12 Oct 2016 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

Better hurry the Runway has been discontinued think only a couple of 10`s left

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
13 Oct 2016 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
linter said...
would love to see some of your toes over the nose. got any vids or pix? if so, post em. if not, get em!

I'm in the US for 3 weeks and nowhere near surf. Will try to get some shots when I get back and back into it.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
13 Oct 2016 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Vee8,

they surely will be doing another version... bring it on!

normster
NSW, 314 posts
14 Oct 2016 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

newer version ? - a bit lighter maybe ?

happy to pay more of course

vee8
NSW, 64 posts
14 Oct 2016 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Wouldn`t hold your breath the guys at SW said it was discontinued cause it didn`t sell like they hoped,
am disappionted was hoping for a new improved lighter model

Muzzy
16 posts
15 Oct 2016 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

I purchased a 9'6 runway last year and have had some great waves ,this board really is great value and fun.
The only negative is that it's heavy if you go out in larger surf and the leg rope is snatching at your leg whilst being nailed by a serious sett.
It's still a great board and for the value it will stay on my rack for years to come

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
19 Oct 2016 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Well, I finally got my newly purchased 10' runway out in the water today after sitting in the shed for 2 weeks. All I can say is, what a blast! I haven't had a surf in nearly a month and have been frothing badly for one after I bought my 2 new boards a couple of weeks ago. I went to happies at Caloundra for the massive 1-2' waves at the moment and timed it perfectly to match with the current massive mid morning high tides. The waves were as full as a drunk on a friday night but this board is great and easy as to paddle. I even managed a few toes on the nose (well within a few inches anyway). I've never really rode long boards in my life but been watching the vids and I channelled "tha dogman" today and had a blast!

What a great feeling stepping back to hook the bottom turns in and then running up the front to trying to hang to toes over. I was even out there by myself for about half an hour today which was a great moment picking what ever monster wave I wanted.

I've found a new type of surfing and had a ball. Excellent board which is pretty tomlook at and solid as. Sorry I can't compare against any others as it's my first nose rider I've surfed. Cheers Whitey.

TimBurleigh
QLD, 112 posts
22 Oct 2016 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

This is by far my favourite board these days and I am so stoked with all the positive comments. My 3 year old loved it more than all of you though. He insists we ride tandem out at the Alley and loves standing on the nose the whole way and chats to everyone on waves that "he" drops in on them on.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Atlantis Runway Nose Rider" started by Smash1