Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

BLACK ACID with DEEP PURPLE sunova ,9.2 Acid .

Created by Tardy > 9 months ago, 6 Aug 2018
Tardy
4919 posts
6 Aug 2018 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just thought I'd share some plans of my new custom BLACK ACID with DEEP PURPLE ..its going to be a FULL GLOSS board .
I really do like the acid for surfing ,its just has great performance .after selling my 130 flow ,i figured it was time to replace it with a board with similar specs .There does have a 9,4 acid ,with 136 litres .but didn't really want that big ,as i found the 130 litres enough for choppy days and high tides .I do have a 9,1 @ 125 litre i really like and ride frequently ,it feels smaller .For my weight it can be trying at times in rough conditions As those who have ridden a acid know they can be tippy ,so figured a custom 130 was in order .SO i went in-between the 9,1 & 9,4 ,so it will be
9,2 . 31 1/8 . .and 131 litres ,
anyway heres a plan from SUNOVA
of my soon to be BLACK ACID .it will be a little blacker than on the sheet ,its gonna look mean .rails will have brushed DEEP PURPLE on them .

I think this will be a great add to the quiver 120 flow ,125 acid ,soon to be a 131 acid ,
my first custom .

Carbs79
NSW, 67 posts
6 Aug 2018 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Your spec sheet says matt deck and bottom so if you want full gloss as you say you'd better get that changed.
I recently got a custom race board expecting it to be gloss finish and i didn't notice the matt deck and bottom on the spec sheet til I saw the finished photos from the factory.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
6 Aug 2018 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Looks sweet mate!

Tardy
4919 posts
6 Aug 2018 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks carbs ,yep already changed that but I will asked them change it and re issue the sheet to make sure ..
but Tino assures me it will be full gloss all over .i went with the suns carry handle as I climb up on rocks and some times the one finger misses the hole on my other pop ups while the waves are wash you up .

i used cut and polish with a machine on my Matt sunova one day ,after i finished i was that close to gloss it wasn't funny ,give that a go .

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
6 Aug 2018 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Can you post a link to that 'suns' handle mate? Can't see one online...

Tardy
4919 posts
6 Aug 2018 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hey sorry hoppo .i just asked for a ledge handle ,that came on my naish boards I figured they just called it a different name .and read it off the sheet .i will ask for some info on them for you If you want .so long as I can get my 4 fingers in I'm happy .get back to ya.

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
6 Aug 2018 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Well done!!!
I reckon it looks gloss on the spec sheet already.
You know there is a minimum standard of reporting on a Sunova custom now......
Is that your pad design?

Carbs79
NSW, 67 posts
6 Aug 2018 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Thanks carbs ,yep already changed that but I will asked them change it and re issue the sheet to make sure ..
but Tino assures me it will be full gloss all over .i went with the suns carry handle as I climb up on rocks and some times the one finger misses the hole on my other pop ups while the waves are wash you up .

i used cut and polish with a machine on my Matt sunova one day ,after i finished i was that close to gloss it wasn't funny ,give that a go .

Thanks for the tip.
I don't mind the matt finish now and I'm not keen on polishing a 19' board.

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
6 Aug 2018 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy- that's an incredible lookin board man!
i reckon you'd be feelin pretty excited at gettin that one in to some glassy walls.
Cripes - I'm excited about ya gettin stuck into some glass walls!!!
Keepin' the fine tradition of custom Sunovas goin strong. Good on ya mate!!!

Tardy
4919 posts
6 Aug 2018 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nozza said..
Well done!!!
Is that your pad design?

Phew ...I don't think anyone could ever out do the 12'. Nozza thread ...and it's still going .it definailty made me want one .
lets say mines a mini search .

but I will post a few photos of the progress ,for sure...

yes on pad design ..

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
6 Aug 2018 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

You've started it now, there's no going back.
Next update on the spec. sheet?
Particularly interested in the last leg of the delivery.....

Tardy
4919 posts
6 Aug 2018 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..
Tardy- that's an incredible lookin board man!
i reckon you'd be feelin pretty excited at gettin that one in to some glassy walls.
Cripes - I'm excited about ya gettin stuck into some glass walls!!!
Keepin' the fine tradition of custom Sunovas goin strong. Good on ya mate!!!

Wait till ya see the true life photos ...it will be like running on acid . Stay tuned mango dingo .the waves are already shaking in their boots .

hilly
TAS, 7195 posts
6 Aug 2018 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Niiice Look forward to seeing it in action. Nothing better than waiting for a new board.

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
6 Aug 2018 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

Nozza said..
Well done!!!
Is that your pad design?

Phew ...I don't think anyone could ever out do the 12'. Nozza thread ...and it's still going .it definailty made me want one .
lets say mines a mini search .

but I will post a few photos of the progress ,for sure...

yes on pad design ..

True that mate - the Nozza was one for the ages - we had groups of people sitting round the fire like kids watchin play school waiting for the updates on that thread - epic!

but yes mate , you're locked in now cob and we're all toey as a roman sandal to see how the black acid turns out of the shaping bay.
Ive got a feelin it's gonna be a cracker!

MangoDingo
NT, 891 posts
6 Aug 2018 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..
Niiice Look forward to seeing it in action. Nothing better than waiting for a new board.

For sure Hilly - true that man.

SunnyBouy
473 posts
7 Aug 2018 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

That looks mighty fine.
I like the Black, the Purple I'm not so keen on but hey, it's looking pretty damn fine from over the pond in the U.K.
How longs the build time?
We need an adequate supply of tea and biscuits for this one

Tardy
4919 posts
7 Aug 2018 3:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SunnyBouy said..
That looks mighty fine.
I like the Black, the Purple I'm not so keen on but hey, it's looking pretty damn fine from over the pond in the U.K.
How longs the build time?
We need an adequate supply of tea and biscuits for this one

No scones . ? i haven't asked how long ...good question ..4 -6 weeks maybe ?enjoy the ride.
got a second spec sheet coming .so it's early days .
once the board is black the purple will blend in better .

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
7 Aug 2018 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

I remember seeing a video once that showed water releases better from
a matte finish. Something to consider for the bottom perhaps?

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
7 Aug 2018 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to watching this thread Tardy, gloss always looks better!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Aug 2018 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Don't make it unusable Tardy.....it will get scratched

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
7 Aug 2018 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Epic! Probably need a second opinion test pilot too?

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
7 Aug 2018 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gboots said..
Don't make it unusable Tardy.....it will get scratched

Tardy only surfs in a sandy, surf friendly tropical paradise.
No chance of scratching a nice custom board there.
In fact it's so nice the early European settlers established it as a Holiday Camp in 1788!
Although Tardy's history may only go back to it's first holiday camp refurbishment in 1824...LOL

Tardy
4919 posts
7 Aug 2018 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

you would surely rip on this one Casso .

thanks Helmy ,, 1856 for us .

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
7 Aug 2018 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

Casso said..

You blokes better start discussing travel costs....

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
7 Aug 2018 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Better put some of those big eye murals on the bottom to discourage bitey enquiries ( struggling seal or dolphin ) splashing on surface?
Love the shape and size of your custom acid - think it will rip - hope it is fast!
Steve

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
8 Aug 2018 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

Casso said..

thanks Helmy ,, 1856 for us .

Really Tardy?
Now you've really got my interest.
Nozza, start planning that road trip!

Tardy
4919 posts
8 Aug 2018 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehar said..
Better put some of those big eye murals on the bottom to discourage bitey enquiries ( struggling seal or dolphin ) splashing on surface?
Love the shape and size of your custom acid - think it will rip - hope it is fast!
Steve

thanks Steve ..yeah acids are great shapes ..the rocker line is bigger than the flow and creeks ,the 130 flow i had was fast but was a bit bouncy in chop because of the flatter rocker ,the acids sits down in the water nice, they are a lot less stable than the flows ,but i feel they turn heaps faster and will sit in the steep section of the wave better .the 8,7 flow is a lot different because it so small .its a beauty too..i do tier easy on it being so dam heavy ..but my 125 ,9.1 acid is a very similar looseness to my 8,7 flow .

.l hope to do some good 3-4 hour sessions on this baby . and still have good performance ...is a biggish board .

Happyhaydo
NSW, 79 posts
8 Aug 2018 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Looks sick mate ! Yes double triple check everything I've had 2 customs a flow and a shroom but you get something changed and the guys in the factory change other things so check before you press the go button
Burts son was a legend to deal with and the end resault was sensational

supthecreek
2583 posts
8 Aug 2018 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yeewwww.... nice one Tardy!
back in black..... crank it up

Stoked to follow your passage... lots of pics and vids please.

and yeah... Bert's son Dillon is a great guy. Really on his game!

Tardy
4919 posts
9 Aug 2018 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys .hoppo .ledge handle mate .

I WAS THINKING OF CHANGING THE DECK COLOR TO DARK grey .all over ..hides dirty foot marks ,wat cha reckon .

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
9 Aug 2018 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Looking even better.
I'd stick with a bit of contrast in the pad - light grey shouldn't show too much.
Not like my white stripe.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"BLACK ACID with DEEP PURPLE sunova ,9.2 Acid ." started by Tardy