Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Blue planet ninja star- anyone tried?

Created by thegreatsup > 9 months ago, 13 Jul 2019
thegreatsup
502 posts
13 Jul 2019 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tried one of these before?
I've never seen a blue plant board in nz before but walked past one sitting on the ground while I was surfing the other day.
i couldn't believe how thin and pinched the rails were!
Doest look to have a heap of rocker despite their description saying it's their most advanced surfing sup?

jvriesinga
NSW, 43 posts
13 Jul 2019 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

I've had two blue planet boards. The potato chip and the fun stick. Both surfed really well and were durable but I found them both really heavy. This model being a carbon should surf really well as well as being reliable.

thegreatsup
502 posts
14 Jul 2019 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting, did your ones also have really fine rails?
the one i saw had probably the lowest rails in any sup of that length I've seen before

obijohn
123 posts
15 Jul 2019 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

I recently purchased the 'All Good' 8'8", and am really enjoying it. I had not seen a Blue Planet board close up, and like you was surprised/ impressed by the thinned down rails. Like everything, I have found some tradeoffs. The good news is that the thin rails are very easy to roll onto, and provide great grip on the wave face. The other side, which may just be me, is that while standing around, cross rollers coming from the sides can suck the sloped rails down, and there is little bouyancy in the rails to save you. The rails are fine in chop, it's those rollers that get me. In the long run, it is worth it to me because of the great performance on a wave.
I would second the weight issue. I have not picked up one of their carbon boards, so I cannot speak to that. It is on me that I chose to go with the heavier bamboo construction since I was reluctant to spend top dollar when trying out a board and a brand that was new to me. The board that was shipped to me came in two pounds heavier than estimated, so at just over 22 pounds for a 120 liter board, it is not light. With the carbon deck patch, and the kevlar rails, I do think that the Bamboo construction is going to be very durable.

thegreatsup
502 posts
15 Jul 2019 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info, that is quite heavy for a 120l board! I reckon my 10ftr is lighter than that.

But really good on the wave you say? I had a feeling a downside of those rails would be the stability

jvriesinga
NSW, 43 posts
16 Jul 2019 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benjl said..
Thanks for the info, that is quite heavy for a 120l board! I reckon my 10ftr is lighter than that.

But really good on the wave you say? I had a feeling a downside of those rails would be the stability

It depends on your weight. I'm 90kg and on both boards the stability was fine. The potato chip took a few sessions to get used to but I could ride it in most conditions. It had really fine rails but was still stable. My guess is the ninja carbon would rip so long as you weren't too heavy for it.

blueplanetsurf
311 posts
19 Jul 2019 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

We no longer make the Ninja series but they are great boards, especially on fast waves. I found a couple of photos of Lyman from the West side of Oahu on Facebook. He owns several of the Ninja models and swears by them. The thin rails hold well on steep wave faces.

thegreatsup
502 posts
31 Oct 2019 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think I ever saw these pics or replies! One thing I can't understand is why this board would have low rocker if it is meant for hollow and late drops?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Blue planet ninja star- anyone tried?" started by thegreatsup