Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Deep Jackson Close

Created by broadman > 9 months ago, 9 Feb 2016
broadman
154 posts
9 Feb 2016 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone riding one of these. They look awesome, but I know very little about them. For me probably about 10ft x 29in and about 135 litres. Love some info. Cheers

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
9 Feb 2016 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 9'2" x 31 x 140 litre Jackson Close. I am seriously impressed with it. I have had it out in 30 knot choppy sh1te, double overhead and 1 foot slop. It is the most reliable board i've owned and surfs really well. I have treated her very unkindly and haven't hurt her one bit. I am 6'3" & 100kg and find it very stable. Flat deck and pulled down rails which are easy to bury. Just enough rocker to drop it off the lip with no worries. Love it!

broadman
154 posts
9 Feb 2016 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Brenno. Did you get it custom made and how much are they in Aus.

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
9 Feb 2016 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

No worries. Yep custom made. Just under the 2k mark for the double vac bagged glass. Cheaper for the lighter construction. I went with the heavier construction cause i've had a really bad run with pop outs. Hard on the gear i am. I've had 4 boards made by Deep. Not looking back. The only one i've come close to breaking is the minion due to thrashing it for well over a hundred sessions. When it goes, i'll get another. Simon and the crew know their sh1t. The JC is a fairly basic board shapewise, because Jackson could make surfing a bin lid look good. Mine has been tweaked for a numpty.

Foam
WA, 738 posts
9 Feb 2016 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

I wish the importer has the Jackson close model here nice board

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
9 Feb 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

The JC deep board is modelled off jacksons short board which is 8.0 x 27 x 4 I'm pretty sure... The longboard deep model is a bit different from what Jackson is using as far as I know....I have a 8'2 x29.5 x 4 JC model and about to take delivery on a 7'10 x 27.5 x 4 and can say that they are an awesome shape made superbly!, highly recommended!

bobajob
QLD, 1434 posts
9 Feb 2016 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
I have a 9'2" x 31 x 140 litre Jackson Close. I am seriously impressed with it. I have had it out in 30 knot choppy sh1te, double overhead and 1 foot slop. It is the most reliable board i've owned and surfs really well. I have treated her very unkindly and haven't hurt her one bit. I am 6'3" & 100kg and find it very stable. Flat deck and pulled down rails which are easy to bury. Just enough rocker to drop it off the lip with no worries. Love it!

When did you get that one Brenno?
I did a quick search and only found this one - 8'8" x 30 1/2" x 4 3/8" 130L - of yours, plus the minion and rino chaser?
Do you have a photo (or two) of the 9'2" it does sound tasty.

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
10 Feb 2016 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Tadaaaa!
She turned up at the same time as the minion, so didn't receive the recognition she deserves. I was too busy frothing over the little square beasty.
My travel board......

bobajob
QLD, 1434 posts
10 Feb 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Dunno how, but it looks 2 different boards front to back. Beautiful looking from the underside
Somehow looks longer and thinner on the front side view.
The minion does get lonely.......
Dam I'll have to do some capital raising with out the one person finance committee realising.

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
10 Feb 2016 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said...
Dunno how, but it looks 2 different boards front to back. Beautiful looking from the underside
Somehow looks longer and thinner on the front side view.
The minion does get lonely.......
Dam I'll have to do some capital raising with out the one person finance committee realising.

Photo taken outside the deep "laboratory". Magic?
If i've been away working, and out of the briny for a bit, this is the board i take out on my first day off (to "ease back in to it").
If it's big and brutal, or windy and sh1te, she's the one i go out on.
Just spent two great mornings out on my 8'8" deep hybrid, cause it's been steep and clean (and yes SteveM74, as a thruster!), but still started my days off on the JC.

Coastie
NSW, 76 posts
11 Feb 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Brenno. Do you have any side on pics of the rocker?

micksmith
VIC, 1449 posts
13 Feb 2016 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
I wish the importer has the Jackson close model here nice board

Foam, I believe deep send boards regularly to not only New Zealand but many other countries. Give them a call or email but I'm sure if you talk to the importer you should be able to work it out. They send heaps of products including their dolphin products, skis, paddleboards, rescue boards etc. I recently purchased a surf sup and am absolutely rapped in its performance. Get one and we'll be calling you froth not foam

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
18 Feb 2016 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coastie said...
Looks great Brenno. Do you have any side on pics of the rocker?

Foam
WA, 738 posts
18 Feb 2016 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

9'1 x31 at 136 litres would it be a bit much board in the Jackson close for 90kg

I want to move on off my jp surf 8,10 love to surf it but need for comfort just wondering if jumping from 126 litres 8,10 x31 of the jp I am using then going up to 136 litres is just going to big or backwards? ?

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
19 Feb 2016 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said...
9'1 x31 at 136 litres would it be a bit much board in the Jackson close for 90kg

I agree. Maybe something similar in size to my 8'8" x 30' @ 130 litre deep hybrid, that i had made for those "better" days, would be more suitable. I've turned to the JC a couple of times this week for comfort in big, lumpy, full tide, straight breaking conditions. Still surfs like magic. The reason i initially went for this size was because i demo'd a 9'2" JP surf pro, and couldn't even stand up, even though i really liked the size. The combination of my Jackson Close's flat deck, pulled down rails and extra inch in width makes it very comfortable. If i was going to do it again, the only change i would make would be to thin it out a tad, and drop the volume to around 130-135 litres.

Foam
WA, 738 posts
19 Feb 2016 5:42AM
Thumbs Up

Made for those better days is not what I'm after
More for the adverse days

Dimensions are 9x 31 136 litres
I do however get the feeling it's a large board vs my jp 8,10 surf

bobajob
QLD, 1434 posts
19 Feb 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

Foam said...

I agree. Maybe something similar in size to my 8'8" x 30' @ 130 litre deep hybrid, that i had made for those "better" days, would be more suitable. I've turned to the JC a couple of times this week for comfort in big, lumpy, full tide, straight breaking conditions. Still surfs like magic. The reason i initially went for this size was because i demo'd a 9'2" JP surf pro, and couldn't even stand up, even though i really liked the size. The combination of my Jackson Close's flat deck, pulled down rails and extra inch in width makes it very comfortable. If i was going to do it again, the only change i would make would be to thin it out a tad, and drop the volume to around 130-135 litres.

I'm 90Kgs, but love a bit of comfort & I reccon that board at 9'2" X 32 - same volume 136 ~140 Litres would thin it out and make a great "everything" board.
Brenno, hows the glide on that thing cruising around peak to peak and picking up waves?

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
19 Feb 2016 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said...
Brenno said..

Foam said...

I'm 90Kgs, but love a bit of comfort & I reccon that board at 9'2" X 32 - same volume 136 ~140 Litres would thin it out and make a great "everything" board.
Brenno, hows the glide on that thing cruising around peak to peak and picking up waves?

Really good mate. I tend to stand slightly forward of the handle in between waves. Good for stability and punching it through the lip on the way back out. Then move back behind the handle to chase down the next one. Easy to get on to waves, and forgiving if you're a bit late and drop it over the lip. I've had wider boards with more rocker, and tried fatter shorter boards. Ok once you're on the wave but like paddling a raft compared to my JC, especially with a head wind.

Supmaori
678 posts
29 Feb 2016 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Brenno..how does your minion compare to your JC? I've got a 7'8 115L Minion which is my go to board..just love it but have the opportunity to look at getting a JC 8'4 x 28.7 x4.2 109L model..but not sure if I need it it aswel l as my minion.

bobajob
QLD, 1434 posts
29 Feb 2016 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Appologies to the OP for the hijack, but may be all relevant.

Brenno, did you get the JC 9'2 out during the Winston festival and if so how did she go? No troubles burying the rail for a solid bottom turn? I took the minion out either side of the main event (Friday too big for me) and soon discovered its not a board for powerful overhead waves.

SteveM74
QLD, 122 posts
29 Feb 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hey bobajob

I have an 8'6 JC Deep
Surfed it in 6 ft+ Alley over the last week
Buries a rail easily

Box shaped boards are designed for smaller sluggish conditions to give you the feel of a shortboard shape
You skate them more than surf if that makes sense
More weight forward stance
They have a big arse so no rail burying unless you are bloody good at riding a tail and right on the rail and then transitioning back right over the otherside of the board to bury that rail

Get a JC Deep you wont regret it

bobajob
QLD, 1434 posts
29 Feb 2016 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

No trouble taking off, but yeah, trying to lean it over with that much grunt under it, faaaarrrrk.
Typical beachies - fantastic!
How do recon something the size of Brennos would handle it, cause I'm assuming your 8'6 is less than 30.5 wide and if I got a board only for more solid days it would sit and gather dust most of the time. I guess I'm chasing that magical all rounder, or at least some thing that is good at most things.

I think Brenno is 100ks + or -, and I'm 90ish

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
29 Feb 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

I have 3 deep sups now and can't see ever getting anything else to be honest... I've had my newest only a couple of weeks, it's the one on my profile pic:7.10 x 27.5 x 4.... I also have an 8.2 x 29.5 x 4 and a 10.1 x 28.5 x3 7/8 longboard....all are very different but cover everything I need, might offload the 8.2 at some point but it's good for lazy spilling point breaks....Simon is tops to deal with and the product is second to none from what I've seen...

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
29 Feb 2016 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supmaori said...
Brenno..how does your minion compare to your JC? I've got a 7'8 115L Minion which is my go to board..just love it but have the opportunity to look at getting a JC 8'4 x 28.7 x4.2 109L model..but not sure if I need it it aswel l as my minion.

Totally different board mate. I use my minion for chest to head height, full tide beach breaks. Fun skatey stuff. The JC is for overhead and above, and messy, windy, scary stuff. Full control, back foot driving turns.

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
29 Feb 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said...

Brenno, did you get the JC 9'2 out during the Winston festival and if so how did she go? No troubles burying the rail for a solid bottom turn? I took the minion out either side of the main event (Friday too big for me) and soon discovered its not a board for powerful overhead waves.

Mate we had some size but mainly breaking straight, and closing out. The only decent break was the point but private property for the long board comp. Being further north, the SE push added some shape today and yep, i was on my JC in 25 plus knots. Got some great waves, big bottom and top turns. Superb.

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
29 Feb 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said...
bobajob said...

Mate we had some size but mainly breaking straight, and closing out. The only decent break was the point but private property for the long board comp. Being further north, the SE push added some shape today and yep, i was on my JC in 25 plus knots. Got some great waves, big bottom and top turns. Superb.

U should have entered the comp with us brenno, I had the point for 4 heats over the weekend

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
1 Mar 2016 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loz79 said...
Brenno said...
bobajob said...

U should have entered the comp with us brenno, I had the point for 4 heats over the weekend

Maybe next year mate. I was under strict instructions to take the mob camping in the middle of it. My daughter has already opted for the comp next time!

Supmaori
678 posts
1 Mar 2016 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Brenno..damm it..just as i expected..lol now that JC is firmly in budget.

Supmaori
678 posts
1 Mar 2016 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

opps one last things Brenno..given the dimensions of both these boards (the JC is 6L less..and 6 inches longer than my minion 7'8 115L, but width and thickness are pretty similar)..would the JC have similar stability..and im picking a little more glide?
Chur

SteveM74
QLD, 122 posts
1 Mar 2016 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

28 wide

I am approx 90 kgs
It is from memory round 106 litres

Has a great balance point and can handle choppy conditions
My 7-8 Deep on the other hand is suited to calm cleaner conditions and the balance point is much much smaller
Surfed it at Kirra in 3-4 ft Sunday arvy
Now you can bury that rail !!

They are a great overall shape the JC's
If you see his in person it is narrow say 27 thin say just under 4 inches and flat not alot of rocker

All these are based off this and tweaked to your requirements

Brenno
QLD, 758 posts
2 Mar 2016 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Supmaori said..
opps one last things Brenno..given the dimensions of both these boards (the JC is 6L less..and 6 inches longer than my minion 7'8 115L, but width and thickness are pretty similar)..would the JC have similar stability..and im picking a little more glide?
Chur

Hard for me to say mate. My minion is 8' x 29" and 130ish L. My JC is 1'2" longer, and 2" wider.
The JC I've had made specifically for stability, whilst trying to retain "surfability". At 9'2" x 31" and 140L it's a totally different board. Definitely more glide.
Yesterday morning I had a great surf on my JC in relatively clean conditions.
By the afternoon it was lumpy, and I had a not so successful wobble around on my minion. Only because the swell had dropped, and initially it looked like Minion waves. Then the wind came up, and with it the lumps. Wrong way around? Yes. I made a poor guess at board choice because it was my last day off before going back to jail (work), and I was rushing for a last surf.
As SteveM74 said the JC is a great overall shape, and I have tweaked it to my requirements. Wider, slightly more rocker.
Lately I've had an 8'8" x 30" shaped which sits nicely between the 2. Flatter rocker, similar bottom shape to the minion, narrower fishtail. And to tell you the truth I prefer to surf it over the minion. I found it a bit harder to transition back from the wide quad tail, but persevered with it, and now loving the board.
It's all up to you, and with Simon's advice you'll end up with exactly what you want.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Deep Jackson Close" started by broadman