Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Deep Jackson Close

Created by broadman > 9 months ago, 9 Feb 2016
Foam
WA, 768 posts
2 Mar 2016 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like the JC is your all round board what is your weight ?

I'm looking at 136 litres but think it's a little to much for 90kg
9x31 x 136 litres

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
2 Mar 2016 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
Sounds like the JC is your all round board what is your weight ?

I'm looking at 136 litres but think it's a little to much for 90kg
9x31 x 136 litres

98kg pre Xmas.
Teetering around 101kg post Xmas, and trying to get back.
When I had the board made I was about 10kg heavier.
If I was going to do it again now, I'd keep all the dimensions same but thin it out to 130 Litres.
I'm looking at doing a 10' Mal at the moment, and it will be around the 130 mark, same as all my other Deep boards.

margeaux
QLD, 59 posts
2 Mar 2016 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi mate
I was thinking about getting the same board made from deep.
Sold my starboard 9.5 widepoint and trying to drop down in size. I have been paddling for about a year now and weigh about 100kg, do you think it would be suitable.
Cheers Vin

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
2 Mar 2016 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
margeaux said..
Hi mate
I was thinking about getting the same board made from deep.
Sold my starboard 9.5 widepoint and trying to drop down in size. I have been paddling for about a year now and weigh about 100kg, do you think it would be suitable.
Cheers Vin

Hi Vin,
You could easily do 9'2" x 31" or even 30.5".
140 Litres is more than enough float without being corky, and that inch or two less in width will improve your surfing heaps.
I found my 32" boards were a bit squirrely at times, and not much chop on the bigger stuff.
Talk to Simon mate, he's very helpful.
Cheers

Foam
WA, 768 posts
2 Mar 2016 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Very confusing based on what your doing 136 is pretty big for me then .
Might just stick to my 126 jp surf does a good job most of the time

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
2 Mar 2016 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said...

Pretty easy really.
Work out what volume you're comfortable with (doesn't sink), find an awesome shaper with a tried and proven shape, contact them, confer and take their advice, pay them some money and take delivery of your prized possession, and live the stoke.
Joys of a home grown custom shaped board.
Confusion Level = zero.

SteveM74
QLD, 122 posts
2 Mar 2016 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Foam

Take on the challenge !
8'6 - 8'8 is more than enough length
110 l should be fine aswell

I have a Naish Nalu 10'6 at 128 l and it is a great board and with my 90 kegs it feels like the queen mary compared to my two other shorter surf stand ups

Deep also does a hybrid board mix between the Minion and JC
Thats my 7'8
Great board as well
More performance surfing however

JC shape you would be happy with

bobajob
QLD, 1533 posts
3 Mar 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..

Hey Foamy,
I think your better off sticking with your JP at least for a bit. You'll get used to it. I think you jumped down in size from a 10' + board? Big step.
I went from a 10'2 X32 JP to a 8'4 X 30.5 Minion a while ago and recon I'm just coming to terms with it to be comfortable and its limitations.

The trouble with SUP is there are so many different styles, sizes, volumes and makers to choose from and its hard to try to choose just one.....or two and it be the perfect board for you. Especially for the cost of each , you/nobody wants to make the wrong choice!

Foam
WA, 768 posts
3 Mar 2016 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, yes your quite correct I am happy with the jp right now I think I have finally worked this board out.
Conditions were good last week and had 11 hours over three days of pure fun.
I'm sure when the chop is there the frustration will come back but got to take the good with the bad I guess.

I will keep surfing this board and will no doubt get another jp next year but in carbon possibly as I think the lighter board should prove to have better float etc .
But I am use to this board now and I joy it more
As others at 90kg have mentioned they use the 8,6 surf so I think it's just a time factor which I think I'm about to finally heading through to the end of and have found my mojo with the board.
I have however changed the way I paddle and bend this has made a big difference in still fall in plenty sure..
But who doesn't on a short surf sup.
I was adamant I wanted a longer board with more litres but I feel this would be a mistake in the long run
As I was shafted by the store by giving me a 2015 vs the 2016 I ordered it just means I can upgrade to a 2016 at end of season cheaper .
Or next year as mentioned the new JP surf .
Yes I went from a 10.6 to the 8,10 surf but this was not my first rodeo just a season in between surfs dues to illness
But yes a mistake sure .. Dumb thing to do ..no
I knew I would challenge myself and I did as frustration set in big time but have now come out the other side of the frustration and can injoy the board as intended.
But in saying that if jp come out with a slightly wider surf I would buy it if not I guess I would still buy it.
I have taken some death drops on this board and not one have I buried the nose or had carnage .
The jp surf is amazing for steep sucky waves The bigger the surf the better it likes it but the bigger it gets the smaller my balls get

Foam
WA, 768 posts
3 Mar 2016 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Would I benefit from going to the pro construction jp surf 8,10
Maybe less of the anchor feel ?

bobajob
QLD, 1533 posts
3 Mar 2016 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^^^^^ Thinking out loud?

margeaux
QLD, 59 posts
4 Mar 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Brenno
I noticed that the deep boards don't have a vent system,have you had any problems?
Cheers

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
4 Mar 2016 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
margeaux said..
Hi Brenno
I noticed that the deep boards don't have a vent system,have you had any problems?
Cheers

No, no problems.
Even though the double vac bagged glass is very tough, I try not to leave my boards in the sun for extended periods. Unless I'm on them out on the water that is.
You can have a vent put in if you want. I remember reading somewhere on this forum someone had one installed in the handle.
You can have whatever you want!

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
4 Mar 2016 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

All my deep boards have fcs handles in them, they have a blanked off threaded insert in them if u want to install a vent plug, I haven't bothered with mine and have had no problems....

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
4 Mar 2016 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loz79 said..
All my deep boards have fcs handles in them, they have a blanked off threaded insert in them if u want to install a vent plug, I haven't bothered with mine and have had no problems....

Ahhh, was wondering what that was for.......learn something every day.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Deep Jackson Close" started by broadman