Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Deep OceanBoards 10ft Version 2.0

Created by husq2100 > 9 months ago, 25 Jul 2016
husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
25 Jul 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

YEEEEWWWWWWWWW!

I picked up my new Deep 10ft mal version 2.0 today .

Version 1.0 can be seen here:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/DEEP-OceanBoards-10ft-Log/

Version 1.0 was 10kg dry (no wax no fins) I had it made that heavy for a reason, and it does exactly what I wanted it to. Time to try something with a little change.

I wanted:

A little thinner through out, especially nose and tail sections. (note V1.0 is already thin and I often get asked if its a mal or a SUP)
A little more rocker
lighter

Simon worked his magic and hit it spot on! The pics really do not show how fine the nose and tail sections are. Cant wait to get this sled in the water

Version 2.0 is bang on 8kg dry.

Nose section:

Mid section (thickest point):

Tail section:

V1.0 vs V2.0:

V1.0 vs V2.0:

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
25 Jul 2016 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Looks great. Do I read correctly - 26" wide? What was v1.0? Was it tippy? What are your stats?

tannaman
55 posts
25 Jul 2016 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Cant wait to hear how it goes. Looks great. What volume is it.

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
26 Jul 2016 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

Very nice, the team do a great product that's for sure.

1fox
184 posts
26 Jul 2016 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful toy.How many liters?

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
26 Jul 2016 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
Looks great. Do I read correctly - 26" wide? What was v1.0? Was it tippy? What are your stats?

Yep, 26 wide. V1.0 is 26 also.

6.1, 85kg and average at best. Its not so much that they are tippy, its more so the amount of rail in/under water. You get use to it easy enough and I certainly find going back to a short sup 27~28 wide, much more a struggle.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
26 Jul 2016 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

@tannaman @1fox

it is right on about 100 litres

NakiSup
5 posts
31 Jul 2016 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Husq,
Are the conditions you surf in real calm, or are you well north?
Dose the board paddle into small waves with such low volume?
Interested because I am the same stats as you and want a performance longboard for East coast NZ

Cheers

burleighlocal
255 posts
31 Jul 2016 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..
@tannaman @1fox

does the length give any stability? it must be tippy in anything less than clean conditions.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
31 Jul 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NakiSup said..
Hi Husq,
Are the conditions you surf in real calm, or are you well north?
Dose the board paddle into small waves with such low volume?
Interested because I am the same stats as you and want a performance longboard for East coast NZ

Cheers

Hi NakiSup, conditions vary here. Im on the Gold Coast, which is SE Qld. IT paddles for small waves fine, id bet it betters short board shaped sups of the same volume simply due to narrow parrallel rails.

I know Simon has done a fair few boards for NZ so id give him a call and discuss your needs. You wont be disapointed thats for sure!

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
31 Jul 2016 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said..

husq2100 said..
@tannaman @1fox

does the length give any stability? it must be tippy in anything less than clean conditions.

IMO, yes (to your first statement)
while its somewhat "narrow" it keeps it width for longer compared to a short board shape sup. Like I said, its a different kind of tippy and not that bad. Its the fact you have more rail in/under water and any water movement pushes on the board, rather than a corky higher sitting SUP board.

Im no pro thats for DAMN SURE and I can manage it and have fun

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
31 Jul 2016 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

only 2 surfs so far and super stoked.

AT first I thought it was more "twicthy" but soon fingured out that it is more "responsive" than my V1.0. I put this down to:

reduced weight
tail pulls in sooner
thinner rails.

this one is going to be fun

NakiSup
5 posts
31 Jul 2016 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Husq for the info, much appreciated.
Sounds like Simon has created another winner, enjoy.

djansen
QLD, 77 posts
16 Aug 2016 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

and here is how you ride it

Jackson Close and Deep like Bread and Freakin Butter

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
21 Aug 2016 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Really nice looking board Husq.........I reckon they surf so much like a performance mal.

BTW.......that's a smick looking lawn you've got there......love a good lawn

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
21 Aug 2016 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Lovin' mine bro. Sooooooo much fun. Makes all my other boards look obese.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
22 Aug 2016 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TheGoodDr said..
Really nice looking board Husq.........I reckon they surf so much like a performance mal.

BTW.......that's a smick looking lawn you've got there......love a good lawn

thanks Doc, lawn is Sir Walter, very popular but not the best of the broad leaf grasses. We have it for its shade tollerance. not hard to keep good lawn here on the GC with our rain. One 36 hour period this year we got 220mm. I still remember summer in adelaide and seeing a birdbath go from completely full to bone dry in one day! nice evaporation rate...

really happy with this board and amazed at how some small shapping changes have made differences over V1.0

I ride this with a single 10" McTavish fin

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
22 Aug 2016 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
Lovin' mine bro. Sooooooo much fun. Makes all my other boards look obese.

its all about the fun, or as the hipsters would say, the STOKE

magentawave
128 posts
29 Aug 2016 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 Nice boards. I hear what you're saying about how you can go thinner and narrower when you go long. What kind of fins are you using? On my 10' Laird Pearson I tried all kinds of different thruster/tri fin configurations and just couldn't get it right. I finally tried an 8" single Hobie fin and it worked great. First single fin I'd ridden in 20 years!

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
29 Aug 2016 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
magentawave said..
husq2100 Nice boards. I hear what you're saying about how you can go thinner and narrower when you go long. What kind of fins are you using? On my 10' Laird Pearson I tried all kinds of different thruster/tri fin configurations and just couldn't get it right. I finally tried an 8" single Hobie fin and it worked great. First single fin I'd ridden in 20 years!

Since my first 10.6 Laguna bay mal shape sup, I have used a McTavish 10in single fin. I even use it in my DEEP 12.6 ocean board. These are hand made by "Wiz" and are the Greenough shape. I buy them online from the McTavish store, I think it is listed as the "Redline" fin

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Deep OceanBoards 10ft Version 2.0" started by husq2100