Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Deep or NSP DC

Created by fbay > 9 months ago, 5 Jul 2015
fbay
2 posts
5 Jul 2015 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All. First post but been loitering in the background for a while. I've just layed down some money on a Deep Ocean Boards Downwinder 14 x 26. It looks like a great board and I've got it at a good price.....I think. But can't find any info or comments about it. Can anyone give me some feed back on it? Stability? Performance? Also I'm a tad concerned it may be too narrow at 26. My stats are 78kg, 5'9, 50 years old but been surfing and windsurfing most of my life. Given it all up for Stand up now. Been surfing a Naish Mana 9'5 for the last year and have a 10'9 exocet that I bought a year before that so comfortable enough on the paddle boards.
Looking for this board for everything from flat water early morning fitness paddles to narly downwinders. Probably a few friendly downwind races.
For a few hundred $ more I can get a NSP DC 14 x 29 or 14 x 26. Have I made the right call? And don't suggest waiting for the new season boards. I'm on a budget hence why I'm looking at last seasons and the seasons before boards. I don't want to buy second hand cause I've seen the carnage in some of the races.
Cheers

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
5 Jul 2015 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon your good to go on the deep 26 if you can surf you have the balance.. 26 wide is right for most people I like wide boards but still feel at home on 25/26 wide boards.. All deeps ive paddled have been super stable for their widths.
Good choice of board I say.

Bleachy
SA, 80 posts
6 Jul 2015 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Probably a bit too late with the question if you've already put money down, but just for anyone else interested in the DC's.

I had a 14x26 NSP/DC for a while and really enjoyed it, I thought for a 26 wide board it was super stable and really great for ocean paddling. Maybe a touch too much rocker to be a flatwater machine but that said I used to win local flatwater races on that board. My favourite paddle on that board was a 3hr (30kms) downwind paddle in about 20-25kts and couldn't think of a better board to be on at the time as it was my 'safe board', I never had any stability issues for the duration and the board allowed me to focus my energy on paddling well and getting as many bumps as possible. I didn't even get the jelly legs syndrome when I was finally finished. I have since moved on to a 14x25 NSP/DC and it's a whole different beast, a little bit more challenging balance wise but speed and manoeuvrability are considerably better.

I have a paddled a few of the deeps and they are well rounded boards, so I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase. Once you have spent a bit of time downwinding you will figure out what aspects of board design you prefer, much like surfing.

Cheers,

Bleachy.

fbay
2 posts
6 Jul 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Deep or NSP DC" started by fbay