Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Deep or Sunova 10' long board sup

Created by broadman > 9 months ago, 15 Feb 2016
broadman
156 posts
15 Feb 2016 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

Be interesting to see how many hits I could get for each board. They both tick all the boxes. These two makes put pop outs out of the running because they have both design AND quality. Awesome Australia. One words is all you need.

broadman
156 posts
15 Feb 2016 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Wow. Im stunned. 174 hits so for and not one preference from anyone

Wicksy
QLD, 153 posts
15 Feb 2016 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Sunova

kitemantim
146 posts
15 Feb 2016 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

May be in red (from NZ Sunova FB page)

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
15 Feb 2016 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

I've owned the 10'0" style and I now own a 10'0" deep. The deep has been the better board for me. Weight is the only area where I would say the style outshines it.

HBsups
79 posts
16 Feb 2016 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

my god that red speed is a thing of beauty.

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
16 Feb 2016 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Addiction

have had this board for 4 or 5 months now and have lost the desire to ride anything else.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
16 Feb 2016 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Doctor, I concur. I went searching for your post the other day, as something similar will be my next board from deep. Dive in Deep broadman, and be part of creating something unique. You won't be sorry.....

broadman
156 posts
17 Feb 2016 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

What a thing of beauty. Im sold. Its of to the shop this weekend. Thanks all for your imput.

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
18 Feb 2016 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Broadman and Brenno,

there is so much to like about this board. The 135 litre volume is relatively low considering the dimensions of 10'1" x 30" and I feel this benefits in two ways.
1) the board sits quite low in the water when paddling and my feet are just above the waterline, and this seems to help with stability and the forgiving nature of the stability. It seems I can save the stability from most situations. Other boards with more volume definitely feel corky and less stable because they sit higher in the water. We have had onshores here for the past 3 months and this board handles all but full blown stormies.
2) the low volume over a large area allows for finer rails. They look much more like the rails on a performance mal rather than the "boxey" rails on many of the larger sups I've surfed. I find the feel in turns and into trim is so much more refined, and the transition from rail to rail is very smooth and predictable.

Apart from that, it nose rides like a dream, catches waves like a machine, is light to carry and keeps a smile on my face while I'm taking heat from all the mal riders in the water

I love how my minion surfs, but haven't been on it since this board arrived

Enjoy boys

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
5 Mar 2016 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Brenno,
here are some profile shots.
Cheers.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
5 Mar 2016 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TheGoodDr said..

Hey Brenno,
here are some profile shots.
Cheers.

Mmm mmm mmmmm, looks awesome. Sweet lines.
The ball is rolling on my next 10'.............

SUPbru
386 posts
5 Mar 2016 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

How dare you place such a sweet looking stick on top of trash cans (haha)

supstar
QLD, 27 posts
6 Mar 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, also opted for a Deep from Simon! Very happy with it, have not had a chance to have a go... I am sure it will out perform me

broadman
156 posts
6 Mar 2016 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome supstar. Mines in the pipline. How long did you wait. ive got a feeling it might be a while

bobajob
QLD, 1533 posts
6 Mar 2016 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

I think we could start a sexy sup thread to go alongside the sexy girls of sup thread. S'cuse me..... gotta...... go..............Too late!

broadman
156 posts
6 Mar 2016 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hope that wasn't on your board

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
6 Mar 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Board supstar!, just make sure you have those side fins in the right way

supstar
QLD, 27 posts
6 Mar 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I have no idea Loz! Thx I am sure that will help big time!

supstar
QLD, 27 posts
6 Mar 2016 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Broadman, had to be patient for 6 weeks!

supstar
QLD, 27 posts
6 Mar 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got any experience on where the centre fin should sit? Front, back middle? The board is 10"1 x 29.5x 4". Approx 130litre I am 95 kegs. Thx

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
6 Mar 2016 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Mine sits around centre, rule of thumb is forward more to loosen tail and vice versa with towards back. I'm about to try some smaller centre fins too..

Krist
QLD, 288 posts
6 Mar 2016 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe a rookie question and if so sorry , but I have been following the smik 10 fter which has alot more ltrs and still looks like a performance 10 fter would you guys say that you would lose a lot in the rails on this board ? i was even thinking the nalu 10 fter , just wanted to know why these 2 boards you guys are talking about are that step up ( besides the look ) thankyou . The smik is 153 ltrs

SteveM74
QLD, 122 posts
7 Mar 2016 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Give a 6.5 inch shapers cutaway a go
have one in my nalu with standard sized short board side fins (G5's ) , it feels and produces the goods ????

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
8 Mar 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supstar said...
Anyone got any experience on where the centre fin should sit? Front, back middle? The board is 10"1 x 29.5x 4". Approx 130litre I am 95 kegs. Thx

I always shove mine as far forward as i can get it. Especially after a couple of sessions.

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
8 Mar 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Krist said..
Maybe a rookie question and if so sorry , but I have been following the smik 10 fter which has alot more ltrs and still looks like a performance 10 fter would you guys say that you would lose a lot in the rails on this board ? i was even thinking the nalu 10 fter , just wanted to know why these 2 boards you guys are talking about are that step up ( besides the look ) thankyou . The smik is 153 ltrs

Less volume = less swing weight.

The comparison is relative for all types of boards. A high volume, chunky short board won't perform like one with less volume and finer rails. A high volume chunky mal will not perform anything like a low volume mal of similar length with finer rails.

Your weight should be taken into account for your decision.....if you weigh 150kg then smik might even be a tad small, but if you're 75kg it's probably to big as a performance mal.

In my experience, this 10'1" of mine has rails that are far closer to a normal mal than many sups.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
9 Mar 2016 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

New to the whole noserider thing and too be honest bought one through desperation as we haven’t seen a wave over waist high in Perth this year !!! . I am currently on Sunova XL 10 x 30 130 lts and too be honest went a little large with hindsight. On the volume front a 10 ft noserider really needs to be sub 130 lts and will benefit from low swing weight, thinner “finer” rails, manoeuvrability and weight. In the conditions that most of us are out on a ten footer stability is less of an issue so I can drop volume without a problem. I am loving the board though and its amazing the manoeuvrability of such a large board once you jump on the tail. Also tried the Fanatic style 10 x 30, probably a better board to be honest seems less volume although quotes the same but lighter and easier to throw about. Alas didn’t quite have the budget approval from the finance director for it so got an ex demo Sunova.

phil

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
9 Mar 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
New to the whole noserider thing and too be honest bought one through desperation as we haven’t seen a wave over waist high in Perth this year !!! . I am currently on Sunova XL 10 x 30 130 lts and too be honest went a little large with hindsight. On the volume front a 10 ft noserider really needs to be sub 130 lts and will benefit from low swing weight, thinner “finer” rails, manoeuvrability and weight. In the conditions that most of us are out on a ten footer stability is less of an issue so I can drop volume without a problem. I am loving the board though and its amazing the manoeuvrability of such a large board once you jump on the tail. Also tried the Fanatic style 10 x 30, probably a better board to be honest seems less volume although quotes the same but lighter and easier to throw about. Alas didn’t quite have the budget approval from the finance director for it so got an ex demo Sunova.

phil

Hi Rossall
Are you referring to the Fanatic Stylrmaster?
I am surprised you say it's lighter, when I tested it I thought it was too heavy and needd a touch more rocker.
I was thinking of looking at a Sunova 9.6 or 10.0 as I thought they would be lighter with better performance
I have to admit it was a terrible surf for a demo but I only had a small window, maybe I need to revisit it.

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
9 Mar 2016 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I think a mistake people make with the 10 footers is going a similar width to their shorter sups expecting it to be of similar stability. In my experience the longer u go on a board, the narrower you can go with the same or better stability.. My 8.2 x 29.5 is way tipper than my 10.1 x 28.5....if only I was using the 10 footer (my wife uses it too), I would have gone around 27 wide.... Try and demo if u can and you'll be surprised how much narrower you can handle on the longboard style boards...

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
9 Mar 2016 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

mmm had it for a week and it seemed to go well, felt small and lighter but never put it on the scales. The guys at the shop were raving about it as well and yeah it was the Stylemaster. As I said new to this type of board usually only ride sub 8 ft !!! but loving it. The 9/6 Sunova Style looks the one though, maybe next on the list !!!

Phil

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Deep or Sunova 10' long board sup" started by broadman