Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Fanatic Falcon

Created by Whassup > 9 months ago, 20 Mar 2016
Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
20 Mar 2016 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Any feedback on this board? 2015 or 2016?

I want a race board with some rocker that is good in swell and chop and downwind conditions too.

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
20 Mar 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Ok. Well let me ask this instead. Those with Naish Javelins, how 'all round' a board are they? Fast paddler, good in chop and swell, paddling upwind and downwind?

ScottyCee
20 posts
20 Mar 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have always paddled the SIC Bullet for downwind .I gave the new Fanatic Falcon a go on a few runs and I actually now prefer it .I posted this clip a month ago .
Cheers

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
20 Mar 2016 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah nice, long run. Didn't look like you were burying the nose too much there and from what I could see you weren't planted too far back on the tail so it must have decent rocker. The Bullet is one of the other boards I was considering, it is just hard to find much info on it.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
21 Mar 2016 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Whassup said..
Ok. Well let me ask this instead. Those with Naish Javelins, how 'all round' a board are they? Fast paddler, good in chop and swell, paddling upwind and downwind?

I like the look of the new Falcon's.. Almost as much as I like the new Maliko Javelin..

How heavy are you .. I'm almost 100kg and love my 14x28 Jav..

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
21 Mar 2016 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi David. 71 kilos dripping wet. The Malikos look like a nice board, we are spoilt for choice. Thanks for the input everyone.

Great camera mount btw.

Area10
1508 posts
21 Mar 2016 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

I think the tricky thing in answering your question is your use of the phrase "race board". Do you intend to do ocean racing? Or flat water racing? Or will it be generally downwinding or general ocean recreational paddling?

Some boards for you to consider:

Naish Javelin 14x26 (I'm smaller than DJ and the 14x28 was too big for me).
Naish Jav Maliko 14x26 as mentioned.
Surftech Bark Vapor
Jimmy Lewis Rail
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder
Jimmy Lewis M14
Starboard All Star
Starboard Ace
Fanatic Falcon
SIC Bullets
SIC FX

All of these have ocean capability and all will shine in certain conditions and for certain uses. For instance the Ace is very good in mild chop but only an elite paddler will have fun on it in big downwind conditions. Similarly the full-on downwind boards like the SIC Bullet are great in serious ocean conditions but if you want to race in light chop (or especially flat water) they aren't so great. The perfect board for all circumstances doesn't exist - otherwise we'd all have one - so you need to be quite specific about your intended uses, and your budget.

I'm loving paddling the Bark Vapor right now. I've paddled a lot of boards and this one is just about perfect for me for general ocean paddling in lots of different conditions. But other people will have other preferences depending on their skill sets and the conditions they paddle in.

Demo, demo, demo. I've decided not to buy more boards after demoing them than I have bought them... some that I have been convinced ahead of time that I'd really like have turned out to be really what I don't like. And some have surprised me. For instance, I was convinced that I wouldn't like the 2015 All Star, because I has tried the 2014 model and not liked it much. But in fact I thought the 2015 was very good (bar the graphics, which aren't to my own personal taste, but that's just me). So, it just goes to show that until you try the exact same board that you are considering, you just never know.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
21 Mar 2016 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

I have the new falcon. I wouldnt go the older ones i felt they are to bulky up front the 2016 model feels perfect with less volume up front.
I highly rate this board and have paddled everything else around to compare.
The only other option I would go would be the maliko but i like the theory behind a narrow tail like the falcon.

Actually the one other option would be the new nsp dc pro model ocean board.

I dont know about a lot of rocker none of these boards have a lot of rocker but they don't need it for majority of australian dw conditions.

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
22 Mar 2016 4:58AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info guys.

Area10
1508 posts
22 Mar 2016 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...
I have the new falcon. I wouldnt go the older ones i felt they are to bulky up front the 2016 model feels perfect with less volume up front.
The only other option I would go would be the maliko but i like the theory behind a narrow tail like the falcon.

I dont know about a lot of rocker none of these boards have a lot of rocker but they don't need it for majority of australian dw conditions.

Yeah I agree, I don't think rocker is the way these boards work downwind. They tend to sit high in the bump instead so you don't really need it, and the fat noses keep the board from pearling. It's a completely different design approach from rockered DW boards like the Naish Glide Mk 1. & 2, Bullet V1 or JL M14.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
30 Mar 2016 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ScottyCee said...
I have always paddled the SIC Bullet for downwind .I gave the new Fanatic Falcon a go on a few runs and I actually now prefer it .I posted this clip a month ago .
Cheers

Is that the new 2016 fanatic race

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
30 Mar 2016 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..

Is that the new 2016 fanatic race

Yes it is the 2016 Falcon Ocean Race..

Depending on the conditions you're planning to paddle in and your weight and experience you have 2 main options with the Falcon, . The 24.75 and 26.75.
I recommend you demo not only these boards but some of the others like the NSP ocean and downwind board as well as the Maliko and JP. There are always differing opinions on Sea Breeze re different boards and demoing will put it in perspective for you. A number of us did 3 downwinders a couple of weeks ago and were surprised when a particular board that was recommended highly on the breeze didn't suit any of us AT ALL.

The 24.75 Falcon in particular is great in small bumps and flatwater, however, the wider 26.75 is my choice in wide open ocean swells.
I did like the JP Downwind race as well as the SIC Bullet V2 in the ocean. Then again the ACE is still one of the main boards used for downwinding in Oz. Unfortunately the 25 is a little too thin for many. It picks up bumps beautifully and is a dream to paddle if you have the balance.

Then again I've had a preview of some of the 2017 models and there are more great boards on the way.

Talk to people, listen and then try as many boards as you can. The beauty of dealing with your local retailer means you get the opportunity to try lots of different brands and models before you purchase, ensuring you get the best board for you personally.

baddog
256 posts
30 Mar 2016 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

What's the durability like on the new Fanatic Falcon carbons? And how stable are the new narrow Falcons compared to the previous generations? For a point of reference, I was not happy at all on the 24" wide Flatwater.

SurfNiels
182 posts
31 Mar 2016 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

I paddled the new falcon 14x26 briefly a couple of days in direct comparisson to my own SIC bullet 14 v2, I must say I was impresed by the fanatic its a huge step forward from the 2015 version. I would still rather paddle my SIC in downwind conditions but Im sure the fanatic is a great allrounder and I can only recommend it

Markmyword
QLD, 55 posts
31 Mar 2016 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have had my new 2016 Falcon for a couple of weeks now (it is the actual board from the video). Coming from a 2014 All Star here is my take on it.

Firstly - I love it (what else would you expect me to say).
I don't believe it is any faster or slower on flat water conditions than the all star. Downwind i can't believe how easily this thing picks up bumps. I mean even tiny little bumps from 5 knot winds. Waves that the all star would never pickup let alone run on. The only negative i would say is it doesn't track as well as the all star. I would say i can paddle about 2 strokes per side more on the all star than i can on the Falcon (yes i know it is probably due to bad technique). The board feels really solid. Full carbon construction means no spongy feeling which gives me great confidence. Other than that, i really do love the board. It is ridiculously light. Slightly wobbly but that is just a practice thing. I will be keeping this board for a very long time.

Whatever board you get paddle the **** out of it and have fun.

YeeHaa.

For reference;
Old old board - 2012 Fanatic falcon 14' x 30" Ocean board
Old board - 2104 All Star 14' x 28"
New board - 2016 Fanatic Falcon 14' x 26.75"

Foam
WA, 768 posts
31 Mar 2016 5:10AM
Thumbs Up

I'm foaming

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
31 Mar 2016 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
baddog said..
What's the durability like on the new Fanatic Falcon carbons? And how stable are the new narrow Falcons compared to the previous generations? For a point of reference, I was not happy at all on the 24" wide Flatwater.

Select to expand quote
Markmyword said..

The only negative i would say is it doesn't track as well as the all star. I would say i can paddle about 2 strokes per side more on the all star than i can on the Falcon

Baddog,the durability is excellent. I have both the 24" and 26" and have experienced no damage paddling, training and racing all summer.

As far as stability goes the 2016 models are more stable than the 2015s, however, in comparison to some boards out there they exhibit a bit more tippiness. Unfortunately the 2016 24" Flatwater cannot be used as a fair reference. It is extremely tippy and a few modifications should have been made to it before it was released. It is a difficult board to paddle for most people. The 2017 has been changed slightly to overcome this. Both the Falcons are significantly more stable than the Flat water 24".

If I'm paddling big Falcons in ocean swells I tend to use the 26" but in moderate swell I like the slightly better speed of the 24". It's a fine balance between speed and stability though. Paddling the wider board with correct strong technique is always going to be faster than paddling the thinner board with tentative balancing strokes.

Markmyword is correct on the boards tracking. The board was designed primarily as an ocean board and the aim was to have it slip into bumps, particularly those that were sloppy and uneven. As a consequence of this it doesn't track as well when it paddles flatwater. This is an advantage though, as some other boards track more on the downwind run when you don't want them to. Playing around with different fins makes a difference. If I'm paddling flat water that may be bumpy, eg a crowded flat water race, I'll use a VMG 44 which gives me more directional tracking. If I'm downwinding I'll use a VMG 37 or 35 to allow more sliding in the bumps.

This season I've managed to paddle every major brand downwind board available in Australia, though not every width. There are elements out there I loved in every board and only one board I was disappointed in. My recommendation is to demo as much as you can before you buy. Find out what suits you whether it be Fanatic, Naish, JP, NSP, Starbie etc.

The sport is still relatively young and small changes and improvements are still being made each season. The Fanatic guys got close this year, and have taken learnings away and have got some interesting boards next year, as no doubt do NSP and others. I know Alain and Dale both keep getting faster.

As a footnote/disclaimer, I do a bit with Fanatic but encourage you to try all of the brands to find out what is best under your feet. Listen to others but gain the experience first hand. A good retailer eg WSS in Sydney always has a fleet of race boards (They have about 8 and adding) ready for you to try. Find a retailer who sells a wide range of race boards rather than 1 or 2 brands and you'll eventually come away with a board you are happy with.

charlieuk
355 posts
31 Mar 2016 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Markmyword said..
I have had my new 2016 Falcon for a couple of weeks now (it is the actual board from the video). Coming from a 2014 All Star here is my take on it.

Firstly - I love it (what else would you expect me to say).
I don't believe it is any faster or slower on flat water conditions than the all star. Downwind i can't believe how easily this thing picks up bumps. I mean even tiny little bumps from 5 knot winds. Waves that the all star would never pickup let alone run on. The only negative i would say is it doesn't track as well as the all star. I would say i can paddle about 2 strokes per side more on the all star than i can on the Falcon (yes i know it is probably due to bad technique). The board feels really solid. Full carbon construction means no spongy feeling which gives me great confidence. Other than that, i really do love the board. It is ridiculously light. Slightly wobbly but that is just a practice thing. I will be keeping this board for a very long time.

Whatever board you get paddle the **** out of it and have fun.

YeeHaa.

For reference;
Old old board - 2012 Fanatic falcon 14' x 30" Ocean board
Old board - 2104 All Star 14' x 28"
New board - 2016 Fanatic Falcon 14' x 26.75"

just to let you know so your not under the wrong impreshion the fanatic race boards are actually only half carbon if you take a look, its is no problem the glass is more ding resistant and is keeping the cost down but it is not full carbon which would be stiffer still. The last full carbon boards they did i think were back in 2011 its the same with a lot of brands just look at the small print or ask a ding repair guy.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
6 Apr 2016 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
charlieuk said..
just to let you know so your not under the wrong impreshion the fanatic race boards are actually only half carbon if you take a look, its is no problem the glass is more ding resistant and is keeping the cost down but it is not full carbon which would be stiffer still. The last full carbon boards they did i think were back in 2011 its the same with a lot of brands just look at the small print or ask a ding repair guy.

No actually this is incorrect. The 2015 models were carbon top and glass bottom , however, the 2016 Falcons are in fact a full CNC, dual carbon top with a single carbon bottom. I checked the small print, asked my ding repair guy and checked with Fanatic.

charlieuk
355 posts
6 Apr 2016 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

The one I repaired must have been a odd one then as it was defiantly a glass bottom they also may want to correct the website as it does not mention it.

Husat
QLD, 43 posts
7 Apr 2016 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

So I notice in the video you're tying the leg-rope forwards so you don't step back on it! Brilliant! Nothing to do with the post, but an epiphany for me, thanks!

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
8 Apr 2016 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
charlieuk said...

The one I repaired must have been a odd one then as it was defiantly a glass bottom they also may want to correct the website as it does not mention it.

Good point CharlieUK. The web site is being corrected.

Area10
1508 posts
8 Apr 2016 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

Good catch CharlieUK.

Whassup
NSW, 84 posts
17 Apr 2016 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to thank you guys again for your very considered posts. I ended up going for the Bullet V2. I have been out on it a bunch of times and love this board, it is a great ocean board, so comfortable. I have not yet had 'epic' downwind conditions. I was lucky enough to have conditions as below for the week. We were paddling out off the far beach through some very lumpy swell out to the point, which with the swell, wind and cliffs behind had some very confused seas. This board is so forgiving.

Now the search continues for the board to complement it, a better paddling board for those flatter days that is still comfortable in some swell and chop. Looking still at the Falcon or Maliko.

excav8ter
536 posts
17 Apr 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I wish we had better DW conditions here, and more frequently too. Maybe then the SUP stores would carry more brands of boards. I'd love to try a Fanatic, Naish and Coreban. But no one carries those brands. We have a store that tried to carry SIC, but not many people want to spend the $$$ on a DW board. Personally, because I don't "race", I find a DW board to be a GREAT alternative to a race board my SIC F14 and V2 do well in flat water and even better when it gets choppy. The V2 is a bit tippy for me in side chop, but I am thinking that it may be the steering mechanism that impedes my foot placement when paddling in non downwind conditions. When it gets big and choppy on the Great Lakes, my F14 is still my favorite board.
I have a new 2016 NSP DC Open Ocean 14 coming soon. I've never paddled one, but love the looks of the DC boards. I am hoping to find that "perfect" (for me) board. I'd LOVE a one-board quiver (except for SUP surfing). I have been considering looking at ordering a custom SIC V3 in 28.5", with the width being carried farther back to the tail. My V2 seems too narrow at the tail for my tastes.

Keep posting videos of different DW boards.... I LOVE hear what you have to say about them. It's amazing the subtle differences between similar boards.

Scott79
QLD, 209 posts
30 Aug 2016 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..

Then again I've had a preview of some of the 2017 models and there are more great boards on the way.

When do we start seeing some of the 2017 Fanatic SUPs, or has something already been released that I missed ??

Thanks,
Scott.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
30 Aug 2016 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scott79 said..

NNSUP said..

When do we start seeing some of the 2017 Fanatic SUPs, or has something already been released that I missed ??

Thanks,
Scott.

Not officially released yet but the demo tour has already been through QLD. Most stores now have stock.

Area10
1508 posts
31 Aug 2016 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

What are the changes for 2017?

PeoplesChamp
52 posts
1 Sep 2016 3:53AM
Thumbs Up

The new Falcon has been slightly widened in the the back giving it a touch more stability. Paddled one several months ago on demo and loved it. Picks up bumps real easy downwind and paddles well on the flat. I have a 2017 model on the way.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
1 Sep 2016 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...

We've just added 30 litres more volume up front on the 2017 models Andy and I love the changes. New image posted tonight on the fanaticsupaustralia Instagram site.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
1 Sep 2016 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said...
What are the changes for 2017?

I'll put a report up next week area10. There have been some minor changes based around stability, glide and and volume. I've just got a bit too much on my plate to do it today.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fanatic Falcon" started by Whassup