Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Fanatic allwave Ltd 8.5 2015 or hrs 8.9 2016?

Created by billfoc > 9 months ago, 6 Jul 2016
billfoc
10 posts
6 Jul 2016 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there. I want to buy my 2nd Sup. I have a Corban ez 10 for all around use.Paddling for medium distances small waves (not so many spots near me) and play with kids. I m stuck with allwave. I'm 45y old 81 kgrs and 1,78 m ,one year experienced in sup .I need a small light to carry Sup and I found those two in good price. I know it's wave sups and the questions are Is it good for me 135lt of the first one? Can I paddle medium distances? Is there a difference in 145 Lt of 8.9 in waves and in paddling? Why fanatic has two categories separate under 8.5 and above 8.9.whats the practical difference. Any suggestion is welcome . Thank you

stretch45
2 posts
7 Jul 2016 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

bought a 8 9 all wave in pure technology 6 weeks ago I am similar size to you with about 4 yrs SUP experience find the stability of the all wave in the surf and flat water excellent. paddled about 6 km over the weekend along Kirra /Bilinga wave catching really good too much more user friendly than the 96 JP surf I have ridden also. 2016 shape has got some favourable comments from other surfers in the lineup over the 2015. hope that helps with decision

billfoc
10 posts
7 Jul 2016 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

I ve read too many reviews especialy in this site and i think i m much more close to 8.9 hrs '16. Exept surfing,i need it for paddling too and for kids so ltd constuction would be very riskfull for damage.Thanks you helped me a lot.
I wonder why the sailsman in the serf shop insisted that its Not for flatwatel , because every tyime you paddle turns the other way!!!
Is it true??

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
7 Jul 2016 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

The Ltd All Waves are definitely lighter than the HRS. If there isn't a massive price differential, then I'd lean that way. Given your weight height etc.... and that you are coming down from a 10' board, I'd suggest that there is effectively minimal difference between the 8.5 & 8.9. good luck and enjoy board #2

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Jul 2016 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Για σου Βασιλι!!! Paddle boarding is popular in Greece ?

billfoc
10 posts
7 Jul 2016 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

I found LTD 8,5 '15 in a better price than the HRS 8,9 '16!! The two things that hold me back is the durability that is not a caracteristic of carbon generally and the travel i ve got to do 16hrs back n forth to purchase it .(trasport company overcharges...)
Does anyone know why Fanatic seperates in two groups 3 minor sizes and 4 major?

billfoc
10 posts
7 Jul 2016 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Γεια σου Gboots!!
Its a new sport increasing geometrically.Every year gets better and better!!Greeks like windsurf and kite so its easy for the sup to be spread !!!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Jul 2016 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Βασ?λI there are so many amazing places to paddle in Greece. Next time I come to the πατρ?δα all I will bring us an inflatable and a paddle. It would be heaven

billfoc
10 posts
7 Jul 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice to hear that! Yes Agean sea is friendly to watersports and paddling of course!!Πατριδα , so you re Greek!!!!

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
7 Jul 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

....Greek Australian

billfoc
10 posts
7 Jul 2016 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nice talking to you πατριδα!!!!

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
7 Jul 2016 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

The salesman said they would turn a lot when paddling because they have a lot of curve in their outline,
More rail curve more turn when paddling as opposed to straighter rails, they tend to track straight and you don't need to change paddle sides as much to keep straight.
The smaller boards have less volume, have more refined thinner rails towards the tail for surfing. As the length and volume reduces they tend to keep the width towards the nose to give stability. The smaller boards are harder to balance on and will turn more when paddling ie not track straight.
The larger ones tend to be more forgiving due to the extra volume and length, easier to balance, will most likely paddle straighter due to the longer and less curve shape. This is still designed to surf but won't have the performance of the smaller 8.5 board.
If you want a board that will surf better, go the 8.5, if you want more allround but can still surf ok, go the 8.9
Hope this helps

billfoc
10 posts
7 Jul 2016 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Sure, your analysis helped me.
So the difference between 8.5 and 8.9 is not only 7 cm length and 10 lt plus to the bigger one,
they have a different shape and use ,that's why fanatic separates these two in a different category
am I right?

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
8 Jul 2016 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

billfoc said..
Sure, your analysis helped me.
So the difference between 8.5 and 8.9 is not only 7 cm length and 10 lt plus to the bigger one,
they have a different shape and use ,that's why fanatic separates these two in a different category
am I right?

The Fanatic Allwave range is a surf range for people starting out in the surf.
The Allwave is divided into 2 size categories for a entry level surf sup. (The Prowave is their advanced entry surf sup, very high performance)
The Allwave smaller boards 7'11, 8'3 and 8'5 have similar performance rails and tail to the Prowave but the rails soften up as the width is increased and the nose is quite wide like a fish shape. These surf great but won't paddle in a straight line easily.
The larger sizes, 8'9, 9'0, 9'4 and 9'8 have softer thicker rails, more volume evenly distributed through the board. They will be more stable but not perform as well on a wave, turns will be slower but due to the extra length they will paddle easier. These are more forgiving than the smaller models and designed for larger heavier riders.
They both are designed for the same use, a user friendly board to use in the surf.
You can still flat water paddle them but the smaller sizes will be more difficult.
I guess you have seen their website if not here is the link.
http://www.fanatic.com/product/allwave-5/

billfoc
10 posts
8 Jul 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

From what you said flying high, i m more close to 8.9
Some sites give the 4 bigger size not only the weight of the surfer but an extra weight for flatwater (8.9 80-95 kgr), something that there is not in the 3 smaller sizes.
The only question is how in 8,5 they give the weight of 85-95 kgr , and in 8.9 80-90 kgr.
Probably its a mistake...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fanatic allwave Ltd 8.5 2015 or hrs 8.9 2016?" started by billfoc