WA, 768 posts
2 Jul 2018 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Any reliable info out there

SunnyBouy
473 posts
4 Jul 2018 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Not the Prowave no, the Stubby 8'3 was like a stiff tray though.
Couple of local lads to me like allwaves, but they all look bulky to me.

NSW, 54 posts
16 Jul 2018 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
Any reliable info out there

The comment below yours sounds like a comment that would come from a Sunova rider.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
16 Jul 2018 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Not released yet. I tried it a few weeks ago.
Maybe call your dealer for the details but we can't put it on the www yet.

benji123
VIC, 1 posts
23 Aug 2018 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Boards are starting to get released in stores now new shape from last year's model and change in length for the larger boards

Pics from ocean addicts

Foam
WA, 768 posts
23 Aug 2018 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Epoxy, not to flash of a glass job or is that used

colas
4986 posts
23 Aug 2018 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Pros know that a glossy finish is slower...

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
25 Aug 2018 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

Exactly!!

jdm
NSW, 27 posts
28 Aug 2018 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Mmm, how do the all waves look? Do you have them yet?

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
4 Sep 2018 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jdm said..
Mmm, how do the all waves look? Do you have them yet?

In most stores now

northy1
430 posts
5 Sep 2018 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

can you confirm the sizes / dimensions please (length, width, vol)?

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
5 Sep 2018 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Looks pretty good, it will be interesting to see specs/construction.

Ishie
NSW, 48 posts
14 Sep 2018 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Some of the dimensions:
7'6" x 26.5" 80l
8'0" x 27.5" 92l
8'5" x 29.5" 108l
8'9" x 30.5" 120l

And a fair bit cheaper I heard.

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
14 Sep 2018 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone rode the 8'9" 2019? Recently got the 8'8" 2017 and love it. At 91 kg and fairly unfit I find my sessions are a little shorter compared to riding my 8 8 speeed and my legs work a fair bit more...but totally worth it. Abit more volume in this years model (110l v's 120l) and wider (29.5 v's 30.5) - looks good!

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
17 Sep 2018 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fepsi said..
Anyone rode the 8'9" 2019? Recently got the 8'8" 2017 and love it. At 91 kg and fairly unfit I find my sessions are a little shorter compared to riding my 8 8 speeed and my legs work a fair bit more...but totally worth it. Abit more volume in this years model (110l v's 120l) and wider (29.5 v's 30.5) - looks good!

Yes, the 2019 is considerably more stable.

Goodbye
QLD, 115 posts
17 Sep 2018 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Very cool looking board!

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
18 Sep 2018 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Here you go-

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
26 Sep 2018 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Man.... Airton surfs exactly how I feel on a wave. Only thing is I'm just holding on for dear life with my toes can't wait to try the new model!

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Sep 2018 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said..

Fepsi said..

Yes, the 2019 is considerably more stable.

Just lost a bit of float, any comparison to starboard pro
8,3 starboard pro Vs prowave 8,5

Foam
WA, 768 posts
27 Sep 2018 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fepsi said..
Man.... Airton surfs exactly how I feel on a wave. Only thing is I'm just holding on for dear life with my toes can't wait to try the new model!

Are they still a pvc wrap or more like a custom layup glass job

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
27 Sep 2018 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

I find this interesting but in reality how much faster? I surfed in the 70's and 80's and all boards were gloss and when your on a wave you are going fast enough so does it really make that much difference??

If your a pro racer 1000th of a second may win you a race but be honest guys none of us are pro racers so really how fast do you need to go? BUT how much faster are you talking, one or 2 meters per second????

Besides gloss looks better and Red Ferrari's are always faster!!!!??????

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
27 Sep 2018 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..

Fepsi said..

Looks like more of a standard glass job... Which arguably surfs better anyway... Although it doesn't last as long...

colas
4986 posts
27 Sep 2018 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaveSandan said..
I find this interesting but in reality how much faster? I surfed in the 70's and 80's and all boards were gloss and when you're on a wave you are going fast enough so does it really make that much difference??

See: www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7044.0
This topic has been quite studied in naval construction. The faster you go, the greater the difference.

I used to sand my white glossy boards hulls (sailboards then SUPs), as since the difference was not obvious to the eye so it did not lower the resale value. The gain was very noticeable on the transition to planing: the board was getting on a plane much easier, it seems like there was less of a "hill" to overcome to get to planing. Also, the slight drag reduction was allowing me to keep speed in turns a tad longer, that could mean the difference between a so-so turn and a satisfying carve. Sanding fins also helped.

I sanded the paddle blade to ease water entry and exit, but could not notice a difference.

Once at speed on good waves, I did not feel a difference, but on marginal conditions, it was quite noticeable. Nowadays all good boards have a rough finish anyways.

DaveSandan
VIC, 1364 posts
27 Sep 2018 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

DaveSandan said..
I find this interesting but in reality how much faster? I surfed in the 70's and 80's and all boards were gloss and when you're on a wave you are going fast enough so does it really make that much difference??

See: www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7044.0
This topic has been quite studied in naval construction. The faster you go, the greater the difference.

I used to sand my white glossy boards hulls (sailboards then SUPs), as since the difference was not obvious to the eye so it did not lower the resale value. The gain was very noticeable on the transition to planing: the board was getting on a plane much easier, it seems like there was less of a "hill" to overcome to get to planing. Also, the slight drag reduction was allowing me to keep speed in turns a tad longer, that could mean the difference between a so-so turn and a satisfying carve. Sanding fins also helped.

I sanded the paddle blade to ease water entry and exit, but could not notice a difference.

Once at speed on good waves, I did not feel a difference, but on marginal conditions, it was quite noticeable. Nowadays all good boards have a rough finish anyways.

Yep understand the science and can see it would help at speed on a boat and I have seen your videos and you are quite a good surfer so you would feel the difference. However I think for we mere mortals who are on boards for cruising and enjoyment with a bit of fun racing, Dwers and a casual wave there would be no value in a Matt boards unless you like the look of it. My Mana is gloss top and bottom and my new JL has a satin/Matt finish underneath but I doubt I would notice the difference if the later were gloss, I simply could not paddle fast enough to notice, but I could be wrong too.
One thing I do notice with Matt finishes is they are harder to keep clean, dirt just gets in and is harder to get off but again no big deal.

Feps
NSW, 108 posts
27 Sep 2018 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..

Fepsi said..

Dunno mate. Still to see the new model in person.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
28 Sep 2018 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

That is a nice looking board!!

colas
4986 posts
28 Sep 2018 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DaveSandan said..
I simply could not paddle fast enough to notice, but I could be wrong too.

I dont think it is noticeable for recreational raceboards, the non-planing speeds are not high enough.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
12 Oct 2018 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Still no review or further info.... Anyone

Kovert
116 posts
12 Oct 2018 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

saw the 8'5 in the flesh at local shop, will demo as soon as get suitable waves. Shape looks really nice, rails in particular. Overall package looks amazing, keen to see how new construction will hold up but it's not really gained any weight and cheaper by a fair chunk!

Foam
WA, 768 posts
12 Oct 2018 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kovert said..
saw the 8'5 in the flesh at local shop, will demo as soon as get suitable waves. Shape looks really nice, rails in particular. Overall package looks amazing, keen to see how new construction will hold up but it's not really gained any weight and cheaper by a fair chunk!

So quite possibly just the same glass job as any custom I. E deep etc

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
12 Oct 2018 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..

Kovert said..

So quite possibly just the same glass job as any custom I. E deep etc

yep!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fanatic prowave 2019" started by Foam