Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Fanatic prowave 2019

Created by Foam > 9 months ago, 2 Jul 2018
cantSUPenough
VIC, 1844 posts
8 Jan 2019 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

I don't suppose anyone is familiar with both the Sunova Acid and the new Prowave. The review and board look great but I am wondering how different they would be.

supsean
38 posts
8 Jan 2019 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
I don't suppose anyone is familiar with both the Sunova Acid and the new Prowave. The review and board look great but I am wondering how different they would be.

how 'bout the jimmy lewis super tech?

colas
3456 posts
9 Jan 2019 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

A tad off-topic , but I would advise against buying any pointed nose board if you are not a pro. Boards with a wider nose tip (be it a bullet nose, square, diamond, ... but not as wide as the early Tomos) bring so much in safety in hairy situations (heavy drops, re-entries, hollow sections) with no drawbacks (and even a slightly reduced swing weight) that it would be a pity not to get one in 2019.

Things like the Infinity RNB, Starboard pro, Gong Karmen, ... and others. Even Tomo is going this way with his new designs like the Hydronaut, Cymatic...

It is not only the added area in the nose, but the more parallel rail outlines there that does the trick. Pros can use anything, but these new noses are a boon for all riders.

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
9 Jan 2019 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..

I have only surfed an acid 9'1" (?) a couple of times so not qualified to make a comparision. I have been surfing the 8'9" prowave consistently over the past month. Int rider 90kg. Surf points and local beach breaks. Like previous models, the prowave loves powerful waves..feels natural to be tight in the pocket and critical sections. However, surfs much better in small beach break than previous models imo. It feels much lighter under foot, way easier to paddle in and when you engage the rail, seems to move into auto pilot on fast radical turns. When you turn, hold on! I found the prowave way more stable than my limited time on the acid.
Not as bullet proof as the acid so need to take care.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 1844 posts
9 Jan 2019 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fepsi said..

cantSUPenough said..

I have only surfed an acid 9'1" (?) a couple of times so not qualified to make a comparision. I have been surfing the 8'9" prowave consistently over the past month. Int rider 90kg. Surf points and local beach breaks. Like previous models, the prowave loves powerful waves..feels natural to be tight in the pocket and critical sections. However, surfs much better in small beach break than previous models imo. It feels much lighter under foot, way easier to paddle in and when you engage the rail, seems to move into auto pilot on fast radical turns. When you turn, hold on! I found the prowave way more stable than my limited time on the acid.

Thanks Fepsi!

Have you ridden a Hokua X32 by any chance? The Prowave looks like it has much thinner rails, so I guess there is no comparison, but I wondered about the rocker - the X32 used to plow through the water in smaller waves.

supsean
38 posts
9 Jan 2019 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
A tad off-topic , but I would advise against buying any pointed nose board if you are not a pro. Boards with a wider nose tip (be it a bullet nose, square, diamond, ... but not as wide as the early Tomos) bring so much in safety in hairy situations (heavy drops, re-entries, hollow sections) with no drawbacks (and even a slightly reduced swing weight) that it would be a pity not to get one in 2019.

Things like the Infinity RNB, Starboard pro, Gong Karmen, ... and others. Even Tomo is going this way with his new designs like the Hydronaut, Cymatic...

It is not only the added area in the nose, but the more parallel rail outlines there that does the trick. Pros can use anything, but these new noses are a boon for all riders.

Exactly what I needed to hear thanks.

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
10 Jan 2019 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..

Fepsi said..

cantSUPenough said..

Thanks Fepsi!

Have you ridden a Hokua X32 by any chance? The Prowave looks like it has much thinner rails, so I guess there is no comparison, but I wondered about the rocker - the X32 used to plow through the water in smaller waves.

Yes - I had an 8'3" x32. I found this really fun in small waves up to head high...super easy to throw around as it was so light. Made every drop no matter how late. I found it very slow to paddle due to the width and lacked drive in juice. In comparison, the prowave is way faster to paddle and has great drive when it pumps - feels like it picks up speed when going from rail to rail. Rails are huge on the x32 - I tended to dishpan on that board. The rocker on the prowave feels spot on for me...excellent in the surf yet still easy to paddle. Also really like the epoxy/carbon thread (not sure what they call the type of carbon cloth used) over a straight carbon board. Not as durable but feels smooth in the surf. Found the carbon boards much stiffer.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 1844 posts
11 Jan 2019 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fepsi said..

cantSUPenough said..

Fepsi said..

cantSUPenough said..

Thanks Fepsi!

Yes - I had an 8'3" x32. I found this really fun in small waves up to head high...super easy to throw around as it was so light. Made every drop no matter how late. I found it very slow to paddle due to the width and lacked drive in juice. In comparison, the prowave is way faster to paddle and has great drive when it pumps - feels like it picks up speed when going from rail to rail. Rails are huge on the x32 - I tended to dishpan on that board. The rocker on the prowave feels spot on for me...excellent in the surf yet still easy to paddle. Also really like the epoxy/carbon thread (not sure what they call the type of carbon cloth used) over a straight carbon board. Not as durable but feels smooth in the surf. Found the carbon boards much stiffer.

Thanks, that's great information!

I have heard a few warnings about it durability. The X32 had issues; is this worse?

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
12 Jan 2019 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..

Fepsi said..

cantSUPenough said..

Fepsi said..

cantSUPenough said..

Thanks Fepsi!

Thanks, that's great information!

I have heard a few warnings about it durability. The X32 had issues; is this worse?

My x32 had a sunken deck where previous owner(s) stood. No probs with prowave in this way, but keep in mind it is a new board. I am guilty of the ol' knee paddling (both shoulders won't let me prone paddle anymore) so am putting through the paces. Just have to look after the epoxy boards - I always transport in boardbag, rail tape, etc. Highly recommend a demo. I am using my legs a lot more with the prowave, almost feels like my shortboard days!

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
18 Jan 2019 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry guys. I've just seen this thread and generally comment on the Fanatic stuff. I rarely go on Sea Breeze anymore so haven't seen it.

There were a number of reasons for moving away from the PVC sandwich construction and most were customer and team driven. Firstly the cost of all boards are going through the roof price wise and there was lots of feedback for a slightly more affordable model. The new construction allows pricing to be more affordable.

Secondly, customers and team riders requested a board that was less chattery on bigger waves. Carbon Sandwich construction is stiffer and therefore becomes much bouncier in chop. A poly construction behaves more like a surfboard that doesn't bounce. When we moved away from sandwich construction we did increase the density of the core and the boards are extremely strong. Having said that. if the feeling of a poly board is required you move closer to poly durability.

To my knowledge the boards being sold are getting great reviews from a ride perspective and the durability is good.

Hope this helps.

As I said, I rarely check Sea Breeze anymore so if you have any questions you can always PM the Fanatic Sup Australia Face Book or Instagram pages.

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
19 Jan 2019 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..
Sorry guys. I've just seen this thread and generally comment on the Fanatic stuff. I rarely go on Sea Breeze anymore so haven't seen it.

There were a number of reasons for moving away from the PVC sandwich construction and most were customer and team driven. Firstly the cost of all boards are going through the roof price wise and there was lots of feedback for a slightly more affordable model. The new construction allows pricing to be more affordable.

Secondly, customers and team riders requested a board that was less chattery on bigger waves. Carbon Sandwich construction is stiffer and therefore becomes much bouncier in chop. A poly construction behaves more like a surfboard that doesn't bounce. When we moved away from sandwich construction we did increase the density of the core and the boards are extremely strong. Having said that. if the feeling of a poly board is required you move closer to poly durability.

To my knowledge the boards being sold are getting great reviews from a ride perspective and the durability is good.

Hope this helps.

As I said, I rarely check Sea Breeze anymore so if you have any questions you can always PM the Fanatic Sup Australia Face Book or Instagram pages.

Thanks for the update. Really enjoying my prowave! Love the feeling of the new construction on the wave and found it quite durable after a surfing nearly every day for the past 2 months

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
6 Apr 2019 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, after 3 months on the 2019 prowave here is my feedback; Went through a rough patch when I first got her with a ding on the nose after 2nd surf and knocked out 3 fins and boxes after a badly timed backhand close out soon after. Have since changed the way I treat my equipment ie taking care, but going harder in the surf with no problems since.

Rider 88kg, 45 and loves bacon and egg rolls a little too much. Riding the 8'9" 120l 30.5. Thought it might have a little too much volume and too wide initially but have found it is loose as a goose as long as there is a little punch in the swell and way more stable than previous models with a higher wave count.
Have replaced the fins with HS1 Hayden futures for surf just over head high and can get vert, floaters etc effortlessly...tail feels like it releases easily at top of wave but remains in control.
When the swell gets solid, I use my FireWire futures (only used thruster set up so far on this board) which has a predictable hold/drive on my bottom turns and cutbacks.
I find my board works in a wide range of conditions, meaning it is currently my 1 board quiver; committed a carnal sin and traded in my other board for a drone!
Excels in punchy fast waves and loves the pocket.
been busy videoing my mates but will post some footage soon...ish!

benjl
262 posts
6 Apr 2019 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Question: do you think the drop in construction strength is worth the cost in repairs?
ive had another good quality brand board recently that is similar construction to the new prowave, and it nearly folded the other month in small waves. Wouldn't touch their product again with a barge pole.
Never had a ding or anything close on any other board (prone or sup) before, but I feel like some of these brands are dropping quality to go cheaper and to feel more like a shortboard, but if it's going to break and buckle without much resistance what's the point.. one bad experience is all it takes

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
7 Apr 2019 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
benjl said..
Question: do you think the drop in construction strength is worth the cost in repairs?
ive had another good quality brand board recently that is similar construction to the new prowave, and it nearly folded the other month in small waves. Wouldn't touch their product again with a barge pole.
Never had a ding or anything close on any other board (prone or sup) before, but I feel like some of these brands are dropping quality to go cheaper and to feel more like a shortboard, but if it's going to break and buckle without much resistance what's the point.. one bad experience is all it takes

Imho...yes. Both dings would have produced same or similar damage on any other board ive ridden, including allwave, naish, jl and jp. Exception was my sunova speeed that seemed bulletproof.
The construction and shape of this board gives a lively feeling underfoot similar to my shortboard, unlike carbon boards. Incredibly loose yet one of the more stable boards i have ridden. I have taken a few knocks, many a late drop and hammerings in OH surf and board is in excellent cond. (Except my back hand closeout above!)

Feps
NSW, 91 posts
Monday , 4 Nov 2019 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Happy to say the past 11 months on the Fanatic Prowave 2019 has been the best year yet for me. At 90kgs the 8'9" is stable enough to take out in all conditions, handling anything from 2' to well OH.
Highly recommend the Hayden Smith futures to loosen things up and generate speed (thankyou Surfers Choice). Even though I scan the classifieds every night, this one is a keeper.
Any other user reviews out there? 2020?

kiter50
QLD, 1 posts
Wednesday , 6 Nov 2019 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

I've had my 8'9 Pro Wave for a couple of months now and due to the lack of swell on the Goldy I can't say I've had an epic session on it yet. But from what sessions I've had so far in miniscule surf, it rips.
I wanted something a touch more stable to get out in lumpier conditions and it works well in that, being 90 kg and 59 yrs old. Previous board, 8'5 Sunova Speeed.
The Pro Wave doesn't paddle onto waves as good as the Speeed, but turns easier due to more rocker, and pumps really good down the line
Will be good to see how it goes in some decent stuff

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fanatic prowave 2019" started by Foam