Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Fin size for Starboard Pocket Rocket

Created by ursblank > 9 months ago, 5 Jun 2018
ursblank
39 posts
5 Jun 2018 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hey,

I finally found a SUP board, it's a SB Pocket Rocket, dimensions are 8'5 x 30". The board is from 2014 and I got a 190mm center fin which seems very big to me. I didn't have the chance to test the board in waves yet.

Can you give me some general advice regarding thruster and quad fin setup? My weight is 73kg and I want to use to board in small waves around waist/should height.

Thanks!!

rhino212
3 posts
6 Jun 2018 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

I also have a Pocket Rocket (great first wave board) and as I progressed, I wanted more speed from the standard thruster setup that was supplied with the board, so changed it to a quad (2 x G5 4.5" sets). This loosened the board up nicely, but the speed increase came when I fitted a pair of smaller 3.5" fins at the back. I'm 72kg intermediate paddler. I loved the Pocket Rocket for waves (upto head high) and flatwater paddling with the family, but have just moved to a SMIK Hipster Twin 8' for much improved speed, drive and looseness.

ursblank
39 posts
6 Jun 2018 4:32AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, that's good to know. What size was your center fin in your thruster setup? Don't you agree that 190mm is too big?

rhino212
3 posts
7 Jun 2018 2:34AM
Thumbs Up

The centre fin supplied was 17cm. I now use this fin on my 10'5 Drive with 4.5" thrusters which is a lovely setup for this board in smaller waves.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fin size for Starboard Pocket Rocket" started by ursblank